Glass half full

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
About a year ago I came here and asked for prayers for my wife. She was diagnosed with CMT about ten years ago and we'd been to doctor after doctor trying to find just which varient she had and were finally told to expect the worst which was permanent disability and a very short life expectancy. I came to you all and begged for prayers...
Today she had and appointment at Stanford to go over her genetic tests that they did a few weeks back to try to isolate which form of the condition they're looking at and we got some puzzling results.
She does NOT have CMT at all. The symptoms are similar but it's just not there.
I'm elated but she's deflated and feeling like she's back to square one. I think square one is a good place to be considering the outcome we were facing in the direction we were heading. :roll:
I thought since some of you thought highly enough of us to pray for us I'd better come back to share the good news. :D

That is good news. I can also understand her frustration not knowing what the problem is. Optimism can be elusive to some.

Thanks for the update, and I pray the good news keeps rolling in. God is the great healer, and the problem is known to him.

Bigfoot":1wgfcc0t said:
Thanks for the update, and I pray the good news keeps rolling in. God is the great healer, and the problem is known to him.

+1
That really is great news CP. I understand why it can be disheartening for your Mrs, because sometimes the unknown can be more scary than anything. But the power of prayer is tremendous, and if she can make that leap of faith to simply put the burden of worry in His hands, I believe she will find some much needed peace.

3waycross":234rq6na said:
What is CMT?
Short for Charcot Marie Tooth. It a degenerative nerve disorder that has different types that range from burning sensations to crippling disability to organ failure. She does still have the symptoms in the form of pain but early death (at least from CMT) is off the table.

Thanks to all for your support.

Well, we all wish her and you the best, and I understand the glass 1/2 full/half empty thing. No doubt a relief it isn't CMT--but "what is it?"

We went thru the same thing for a couple of years with my wife. First-diagnosed as Lyme disease not long after she was bitten by tick in her scalp after a camping trip. No--not Lyme--Brain lesion--had a catscan--No, no brain lesion--then it was Rheumatic fever which was subsequently ruled out. Finally diagnosed and treated as Fibromyalgia, but it was a long 2+ years before they decided that and we went thru a crapload of doctors and medical facilities to get where we are now.

Good luck!!!

I was about to ask if it was Charcot Marie Tooth. I figured it was not Country Music Television.
I am glad to hear it was not CMT. I hope that you and she can find out what is causing her symptoms. I know that not knowing is often harder than knowing and finally accepting the inevitable. The only thing I can offer is my thoughts and prayers. I hope that she can find some comfort in her faith. That is sometimes all that is left to us when there are unanswered questions. Often it is much harder on the husband or wife, because of the helpless feeling, the need to do something but not being able to. I know that I have had those thoughts and feelings with my wife and family members. The only way through it is one day at a time, looking at the glass and thinking darn it whether it is half full or half empty, I am going to drink whats there and ask for more.
My friend if there were anything I could do I would try it, If you need a shoulder, PM me and I will send you my super secret friends only cell number and we can talk about weather or cows or grand children, or even the wives we love.
Again you are in the prayers and thoughts of this Alabama sinner.
Bill Brower

greybeard":1dmue981 said:
Well, we all wish her and you the best, and I understand the glass 1/2 full/half empty thing. No doubt a relief it isn't CMT--but "what is it?"

We went thru the same thing for a couple of years with my wife. First-diagnosed as Lyme disease not long after she was bitten by tick in her scalp after a camping trip. No--not Lyme--Brain lesion--had a catscan--No, no brain lesion--then it was Rheumatic fever which was subsequently ruled out. Finally diagnosed and treated as Fibromyalgia, but it was a long 2+ years before they decided that and we went thru a crapload of doctors and medical facilities to get where we are now.

Good luck!!!

Grey, I started to send you a PM because I didn't want to hijack this thread but thought that other folks might benefit from this information.

There are TWO tests for Lyme. One is less than 50% accurate and is most used by doctors because it is the only one paid (partially) for by the insurance companies. Not only is this test inaccurate it also provides false positives and positive false test results. The other test is nearly 100% accurate. It is a genetic test and fairly expensive and not paid for by our insurance companies. They look for the genetic footprint of the Lyme bug. There are many manifestations of Lyme including Rheumatic fever, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and many more. There is some evidence that Lou Gheric Disease (ALS) may be connected to Lyme. To make matters worse, the board of doctors who are supposed to direct the research and determine what (or what not) the insurance companies pay for was/is corrupt and have been convicted for their crimes. DIL has had Lyme for about 15 years and my Son now has Lyme. Lyme, if left undiagnosed, untreated or mistreated is always fatal. Fortunately, DIL has received unconventional treatment and is in remission. Sons encounter was diagnosed (accurately) fairly quickly and has been treated. Both are doing OK - for now.