Give your pets treats? READ THIS! FDA warns

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
600 dogs and cats have died this year due to some mysterious cause, and FDA is investigating. Stopped just short of a massive recall notice, but warns all pet owners that treats are not necessary for good nutrition.
Short story is tho, the FDA hasn't a clue what is causing it, and is enlisting the help of all vets in trying to track it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/pet-jerky ... 8C11436330

The only treats the dogs on this place get are the half dried cow plops and the sheep schitte they tend to eat as we work in the yard or in the fields.

Sometimes for a bit of a change of pace they hunt down the real fresh and loose samples and lick them like a warm and brown ice cream cone.

In any event ........

It is all natural.

It is probably tastey (to them).

It has an attractive aroma for dogs.

It is not filling and therefore does not spoil supper time.

It helps keep the yard a bit cleaner.

It is always available.

You never have to buy a new package of the stuff at the store.

Upon occaision they come upon a chewy piece that helps reduce the bubble gum bill on the farm.

And finally, it is very affordable.

I suspect most treats are made off shore - nowadays we try to limit helping those economies any more than we might be forced to do and never buy treats for the animals.

There are a tonne of recipes for home made animal treats available in almost all the major pet stores - might be cheaper and safer to make your own.

It also might just help keep your pet alive from the sounds of the warning above.

Thanks for the heads up GB.

Best to all

Bez

Ours seem to like candy and fruit! Well it's kitty roca and horse apples.

Wonder how long its going to take to learn to not import food products from China.

It's really good to know, thanks for the information greybeard! I use to buy and give China foods for my pets, I'm scared… From now on, I'll buy local ones!

Despite my previous post and in all seriousness, the Chinese produced and shipped baby formula a couple of years ago that had enough poison in it to kill a few kids before it was caught.

On top of that - in Canada a couple of years ago, the Chinese were producing and shipping dog and cat food with enough poison in it to kill some pets before it was caught.

This family NEVER knowingly buys food that has been touched by China and a multitude of other third world and mid-east countries.

A test for you all.

Find your favourite food in the cupboard or in the refrigerator. There will be a contact address on it. Contact them and ask them this question:

Does your company have any food, spices or processing of foods done in or from China or any other third world country?

You might be surprised or even disappointed in how the answers are worded. The wording will allow you to read between the lines. Especially if they come back with no answer at all and something like: "Our company proudly demands the highest standards of ingredients and processing" - which means of course they are ducking the question - which in turn means you probably need to stop buying that product and demand in turn that it be made in the US of A or Canada or Australia or New Zealand or similar countries - all of which have pretty similar standards for food protection.

Yeah, some stuff will always slip by - but on a very personal nate - in closing I always remember the Coke (or Coke owned at least) plant in Kabul that provided us with bottled water being closed down because a European (Slovanian if I remember correctly) soldier found human fecal matter in the bottled water she was testing for coalition soldier consumption. Thank heavens she was serious about doing her job!! She took a lot of heat but stood her ground and closed the plant down until the problem was solved - and us - the troops - made a point of backing her.

Our food is important and in all honesty I can be considered a racist when it comes to my food - if it is not produced in a country with similar values to my own, I try to avoid it.

GB - this is a topic that should be near and dear to all of us - I know it started off as China and dog food but it goes far deeper - good one buddy!

Best to all

Bez

Not an item of high inclusion in any feed but almost all vitamins used in the manufacture of any animal feed come from China.

Seems to me the dogs of this world are getting as weak as their humans.
Don't feed them this, they can't eat that, has to have a balanced $40 dog food, or they will die!
My dogs get ol'roy made from meat and bone meal from the rendering plant, and corn from some corn field. They really like it when i'm trapping muskrats, and beaver, they love rat carcasses.

sim.-ang.king":1gbqouc5 said:
Don't feed them this, they can't eat that, has to have a balanced $40 dog food, or they will die!
My dogs get ol'roy made from meat and bone meal from the rendering plant, and corn from some corn field. They really like it when i'm trapping muskrats, and beaver, they love rat carcasses.

Vast majority of pets today live a life better than you and I - eating gourmet canned food (often from China) with hot babes in short skirts with great legs, store bought boobs and wearing tight T-shirts, feeding their little pookie on little fancy glass plates - or did you not know that?? LOL

We have all seen the commercials at least once.

You on the other hand are probably some crusty old bawstard who is no where near as good looking and you probably feed your dogs out of a big tin bowl. Tsk! Tsk!

Best to all

Bez

snake67":1ko4yrsb said:
sim.-ang.king":1ko4yrsb said:

Vast majority of pets today live a life better than you and I - eating gourmet canned food (often from China) with hot babes in short skirts with great legs, store bought boobs and wearing tight T-shirts, feeding their little pookie on little fancy glass plates - or did you not know that?? LOL

Bez
Never thought of it that way! :mrgreen:

Maybe they should be showing hot Chinese babes in short skirts with long great legs, store bought boobs and wearing no shirts feeding little poopsie?

My dogs get Ol' Roy too, as well as table scraps. Only treats they get is 1/2 my cheese crackers every day.

Too bad we don't trade with legitimate partners and let China trade with Russia- since they don't like our tainted meat anyway.

snake67":pnnvmk9h said:
Despite my previous post and in all seriousness, the Chinese produced and shipped baby formula a couple of years ago that had enough poison in it to kill a few kids before it was caught.

On top of that - in Canada a couple of years ago, the Chinese were producing and shipping dog and cat food with enough poison in it to kill some pets before it was caught.

This family NEVER knowingly buys food that has been touched by China and a multitude of other third world and mid-east countries.

A test for you all.

Find your favourite food in the cupboard or in the refrigerator. There will be a contact address on it. Contact them and ask them this question:

Does your company have any food, spices or processing of foods done in or from China or any other third world country?

You might be surprised or even disappointed in how the answers are worded. The wording will allow you to read between the lines. Especially if they come back with no answer at all and something like: "Our company proudly demands the highest standards of ingredients and processing" - which means of course they are ducking the question - which in turn means you probably need to stop buying that product and demand in turn that it be made in the US of A or Canada or Australia or New Zealand or similar countries - all of which have pretty similar standards for food protection.

Yeah, some stuff will always slip by - but on a very personal nate - in closing I always remember the Coke (or Coke owned at least) plant in Kabul that provided us with bottled water being closed down because a European (Slovanian if I remember correctly) soldier found human fecal matter in the bottled water she was testing for coalition soldier consumption. Thank heavens she was serious about doing her job!! She took a lot of heat but stood her ground and closed the plant down until the problem was solved - and us - the troops - made a point of backing her.

Our food is important and in all honesty I can be considered a racist when it comes to my food - if it is not produced in a country with similar values to my own, I try to avoid it.

GB - this is a topic that should be near and dear to all of us - I know it started off as China and dog food but it goes far deeper - good one buddy!

Best to all

Bez

:clap: I'd eat a bean burrito from a Mexican road side stand and chase it with a glass of local water before I'd eat anything knowingly from China. Montezuma doesn't have anything on lead, alpha toxins, and whatever else they can find over there.

Evidently, they think Melamine is one of the 6 food groups and mercury is one of the 10 essential elements in human diet.

Latest posts