Ginseng root's (pic's)

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
here are a few of some of the ginseng i have dug the past few weekends.
HPIM0857.jpg

HPIM0858.jpg

HPIM0855.jpg

rattler

Looks like you been digging in some good sized sang. Have not got to go very much just a couple of times got about 2lbs. How is it selling over yoour way? $395.00 here.

Red Bull Breeder":2i3ra416 said:
Looks like you been digging in some good sized sang. Have not got to go very much just a couple of times got about 2lbs. How is it selling over yoour way? $395.00 here.

I havent sold any yet RBB some said it was going to bee $900 a pound but the guy i talked to yesterday said $410 that is the way my luck runs though.I think i am gonna hold on to mine for a wile and see if the price goes up

rattler

Looks like you've done pretty well rooting in the woods. Wish ginseng grew here but if it did it would probably have briars all over it and a yella jacket nest under the root. :lol2:

It was $800.oo last year at the end of season, the talk before season this year was $800. to a $1000. It think the buyers got that started just to get more people out digging so they could have more to buy and run the price down. I have sold alot of it for less than $400.00. Jo it will surely grow in Ga. somewhere, get you some seed and plant a little and see what it will do.

Jogeephus":2m7vj4i8 said:
Looks like you've done pretty well rooting in the woods. Wish ginseng grew here but if it did it would probably have briars all over it and a yella jacket nest under the root. :lol2:

And a ground rattler guarding it.

grannysoo":1ahwicpu said:
Jogeephus":1ahwicpu said:

And a ground rattler guarding it.[/quot

I was thinking the same thing grannysoo it might be a good thing joe aint been diging sang with all the snake pic's he has been posting .I have got into a couple yeller jacket nest thou and them little fellers can realy make you move it don't matter how rough or steep the ground your on is. :)

RBB i think your right about the buyer's i sold some for $700 last year think i will wait and see if it goes up or just hold it over till next year.

rattler

Beefy":24jatxpn said:
and you grow cows why? lol

(nice floors too)

Beefy i don't know! and Thanks on the floors

ksl1 what brings the most $ grow's wild in the mountain's

iowa i think the most of the seng is shiped oversea's from what i read it has several use's

rattler

Finding Ginseng ain't like picking up walnuts, aleast not around here. You will look in places that you don't think anybody has ever been. Then you will have days you won't find more than a handfull. Ginseng grows in deep hollows and ruff steep hillsides. Just the kinda places i like to crawl around in.

Ya'll need to get yourselves a dog and train it to sniff them out for you. There is a stump company here that buys fatlighter stumps off your property and they had three dogs they trained to find the stumps. The dogs could sniff them out even if they were under the ground. Don't see why that would work on ginseng. We could get rich! (note and remember the WE)

Ksl1 you can get the seed and plant it. It should grow wild up where you are and you can transplant the roots.
Jo there is a lot of people who dig for the money but i love to hunt the stuff. Some of the neatest place i have ever seen i have found hunting sang. I will only dig big three and four prong plants and will not dig any until the seed is ripe and i always plant the seed back. The rumor this year that it would be $800. to $1000. a pound got a lot of people who don't normally dig out early before the seed was ripe, and alot of them don't care and will dig the little stuff to.

Red Bull Breeder":2fk9iym5 said:
Ksl1 you can get the seed and plant it. It should grow wild up where you are and you can transplant the roots.
Jo there is a lot of people who dig for the money but i love to hunt the stuff. Some of the neatest place i have ever seen i have found hunting sang. I will only dig big three and four prong plants and will not dig any until the seed is ripe and i always plant the seed back. The rumor this year that it would be $800. to $1000. a pound got a lot of people who don't normally dig out early before the seed was ripe, and alot of them don't care and will dig the little stuff to.

RBB We have a season here it runs from sept 1 nov 30 and you are right there are folk's that dig everything they come upon i have pinched the top's out of a lot og small 3's.The rougher the country the better i like it love to hunt were it has been loged years ago it seem's to be were i find my best sang.

rattler

I looked ginseng up on the internet and done some reading. They had a couple good pictures. I am going to take a walk in our woods and see what I can find. Do you know if seeds can be purchased? I would like to get some started.

Ya'll need to get yourselves a dog and train it to sniff them out for you. There is a stump company here that buys fatlighter stumps off your property and they had three dogs they trained to find the stumps. The dogs could sniff them out even if they were under the ground. Don't see why that would work on ginseng. We could get rich! (note and remember the WE)
Send me the stump company's number, I built most of my fence's outa fat lighter. Please tell me they are worth $395.00 a lb it might make all those days cutting and dragging fat lighter trees outa the swamp for post worth while. And to think I was just trying to save 2.35 a post at the time. I hear fat lighter makes good dynamite if thats the case I got enough to go Nuclear :cowboy: Ginseng supposed to be good for memory. (I Think) I can't remember better send me some of that too!

What is fat lighter?
Fat lighter is a Pine tree that has dried out and turned solid. But still holds the resin.
Almost like a petrified tree. If you have any survival skills at all ya need to know what fat lighter looks like.
It burns really hot and you can start a good fire quick with it.
When I did alot of rough camping as I hiked I was always looking for fat lighter right away and I would put a few pieces in my pack pack.
Shave it down and it will start a good fire even in the rain.

Latest posts