GH Rambo 279R

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms":1xcevonz said:
I am new to this board, so maybe I am not telling you anything you didn't already know.

Glad to see you joining in, John. Unlike other message boards we've been on together, you'll find a subject here that you can post to more often than every 2-3 months.

The injury to Online was discussed at length here a while back. Some posters even had him as deceased until some other posters here saw him walking around at Star Lake. I think Star Lake put him down since that time and he is now indeed dead.

The 97349 daughter that I got at the DBH dispersion is turning into an excellent cow.

George

knersie is this the type of cow you spoke of before? This is one of our older cows. She is going to be 8yo next spring.

CowPictures020.jpg

Herefords.US":3rhri59a said:
alexfarms":3rhri59a said:
I am new to this board, so maybe I am not telling you anything you didn't already know.

Glad to see you joining in, John. Unlike other message boards we've been on together, you'll find a subject here that you can post to more often than every 2-3 months.

The injury to Online was discussed at length here a while back. Some posters even had him as deceased until some other posters here saw him walking around at Star Lake. I think Star Lake put him down since that time and he is now indeed dead.

The 97349 daughter that I got at the DBH dispersion is turning into an excellent cow.

George

It is good to hear that the 97349 daughter is doing well for you. Which one was it that you bought? We have 4 of his daughters that we bought at the DBH sale. I haven't used as much semen on him as I had hoped to, as I have been concentrating on AIing the King Dominos. I do have one coming in Feb 09, I hope, out of a polled L1/Banner Domino cow. I was at the Miles City sale in 2000 when DBH bought 97349 and I was so impressed when I saw him, he was the best bull I ever saw up there (although I was only at about a half dozen of their sales) and his dam was a slam dunk great cow. He had length, capacity, correctness and he was solid thick from hooks to pins, with a good hind quarter. I remember seeing one of the top L1 breeders at the time cornering Grahman after the sale about a way he could use the bull too. Some people really wanted that bull, and Grahmann paid for him. I think Grahmann should have gotten more money for the bull at his dispersion. I suspect their was a deal in the works to buy the bull cheap and share him, so they would not bid against each other. We bought him cheap, he looked tough. One horn had grown into the side of his head and it had become festered and abcessed, he had been burnt on grain at some time and his feet weren't the best and he was darn thin, but all I could think about was how he looked at that sale in Miles City when he was a 3 year old and how top notch his genetics are. I was buying some cows for my brother and I had that 214 M cow, that is on Coopers internet sale this fall, as my top pick. I knew I was in trouble when I saw the sale order and she was sitting between 5 and 10 in the order. I was looking at the sale order on the wall and Marc Hotchkiss came up to me and asked me if I was finding my picks. I told him my top pick was coming in early, so I might just as well be ready to get blown out. 214 M had a beautifull heifer calf by a Miles City bull and I didn't want to buy her because I didn't want to put a calf in with a load of cows. That calf only brought $1200!! So, I thought I had a chance with the cow. I didn't, she topped the sale. I should have bought that calf, or at least run her up, she would have been worth it. Looking at the numbers now, it appears, that calf turned into a better cow than her mother. In my opinion, the way to build a cow herd is go the dispersals and buy heifer calves out of the old cows that have a proven fertility, soundness and production record. That has always worked for me. Gene Henkel kept the 97349 bull going for a couple years and got some nice females from him, I never did take possesion of him. But we have lots of semen. U do a search and no proven Miles City bull can match his bw to yw spread along with a 15 milk, that has held up quite a while now. He has a +72 yw epd(70% acc.) and had a 116 ratio in the Miles City herd and his actual yearling weight was less than 1000#. That is linebreeding!! I advertised to sell a flush on my top King Domino cow to him, but no interest. I thought it would be a great outcross mating.
John

I luv herfrds":1hlg0xoy said:
knersie is this the type of cow you spoke of before? This is one of our older cows. She is going to be 8yo next spring.

CowPictures020.jpg

I am reluctantly saying yes, she is more or less the type of cow that should produce consistantly for you, however she wouldn't be the cow I would select to breed a future herdbull for me. Its very hard to to give a concise answer based on two photos especially when I don't know your herd.

I have seen photos from your herd before that I thought was pretty decent cows, so I am sure you'll have enough to work with.

Thanks knersie.
We don't plan to keep any bulls out of our herd for future breeding. There are too many that are related.
We do have a couple of cows that we brought in from a completely unrelated herd. Might AI them and hope for a bull.
Our main goal is to get a herd of cows that raise well growing calves, good milk, marbling and uniformness.

Latest posts