Getting Ready for Winter

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
Here around the Arrow H we have the last of the hay stacked up in the loft and are going into winter with the least amount of livestock to feed ever. We have sold off all of the cattle due to $5 corn and our time demanding jobs and two year old son. It was sad to see the last two heifers leave, but I went and picked one up today again, from the locker! Grass fed T-bones sizzling off the grill were so awesome tonight I can't even begin to explain!
With only six horses left, one is sold but won't be picked up until I get him green broke, chores will be quick for once this winter. For us we see winter as a time for taking it easy and a much needed rest. We always try to cram as many projects into the months from thaw to frost. Right now we are trying to get a stretch of posts in before freeze up and then we can put up the rest of the fencing after snowfalls.
Equipment has been winterized but the tractor needs repair before we can put on the bucket and tire chains. Hunting season has begun and at the end of the month when pheasant season opens things will really pick up. Harvest is in full swing and I love seeing the combines rolling along because it will make it much easier to pattern deer! How's everyone else buttoning down the hatches for winter?

We have really culled hard this year. High fuel and fertilizer made us think early in the year that the the girls that stay with us this winter better be worth it. As a result, we went from having not enough feed, to just enough feed and are now in the position of having hay in excess for the number of cows and backgrounders we are feeding :cboy: . I have a feeling that there will be another good cull, on the fall cows come spring. Add to that, we had a great pasture year and we ended up stockpiling about 40 acres of hay and pasture that we will use to extend the grazing season into December, unless we get too much snow :cowboy: . It was a poor haying year though, so we didn't have time to get much fencing done and are just hoping we can prop the fences up enough to get by this year. I would estimate we have about 3 miles of fence that is in immediate need of replacement, but won't happen. :frowns:

sounds like you 2 are ready for winter.we are going to have more than enough hay.wont start haying the cows till the 1st hard freeze.an that will be about dec 1st.

My herd started getting hay around the 15th of September. Heavy milking nurse cows just can't cope on dead grass pasture, no matter how long it is. :p I've got three heifers to sell, one loaner heifer to return, and about 2 more tons of hay to buy, otherwise all is ready. I pretty well have to get everything ready by August because when I leave for school the place needs to be low-maintanance for the next four months.

Latest posts