Getting out

Help Support CattleToday:

Rob Johnson

Reaction score
It's been a rough year with losses, have sold all my cows to a broker. Tomorrow the truck comes. It will be a nice winter!
Rob Johnson
Foley, MN.

sorry that you sold all your cows.may i ask why you decided to sell the cows.theres always rough spots in the cattle business.

Sorry to hear it - however you are in good company - lots of folks are getting tired of feeding the masses for free. Or worse - working several off farm jobs to maintain the farm.

Tough on the families and the future does not look all that rosy from the numbers that are getting out.

I do not know any businessman who works at another job - or even two - to subsidize his main business.

Even the old money and long term folks have come to realize they need to run the operation as a business as they see their bank accounts go down and debt rise.

And today the lifestyle is great but the business has to work or the lifestyle falls to the banks.

Sometimes the best business decision is to save the operation by tossing the things that are money losers - and if that means cows then that was the smart thing to do.

Sounds like you kept the land and that is a good thing.

Best to you

Bez+

Sorry to hear that as well. It has crossed my mind more than a few times these last couple of years.

Good luck with all of your future endeavours..

Know how you feel, we sold 75% of our animals this past summer but then got a heck of a deal on good alfalfa from a old grower of ours so I stocked the barn just out of habit mostly. Now we have feed and few cows and not sure if I want to retire for good this time or keep a few head for family and old customers and maybe some market sales. Still have one son at home and I have been saying that when he finally leaves I'll get rid of the cows, said that awhile back but kept all the bred animals and ended up back where I was before...next time it will be different.
Good luck to you...perhaps you can sock away a few bucks for when the market gets better, hopefully you can get back in during the low period and make back your losses.
Dave Mc

Getting out of the business is like quitting smoking. I've done it dozens of times.

dun":1851ctlr said:
Getting out of the business is like quitting smoking. I've done it dozens of times.

The only time you quit smoking is when you go to sleep!

dun":anj5xbuc said:

So which is it this time my friend, smoking or cattle ..I still see you can't see your @ss yet, as your head is buried in the sand still. That may help you with your future endeavours ...Seeing is believing.. :lol2: :nod: ;-) :wave:

hillsdown":3txnkfzp said:
dun":3txnkfzp said:

So which is it this time my friend, smoking or cattle ..I still see you can't see your @ss yet, as your head is buried in the sand still. That may help you with your future endeavours ...Seeing is believing.. :lol2: :nod: ;-) :wave:
Neither. The smoking was 2 years agto the cattle was 12-13 years ago. The smking lasted a couple of dyas the cattle about a year

hillsdown":3eqke0z5 said:
cfpinz":3eqke0z5 said:
dun":3eqke0z5 said:

The only time you quit smoking is when you go to sleep!

It's not fair of us young'ins to pick on the elderly cfpinz.. :cowboy:

elderly???

That's like calling the Titanic a raft!

I think it's a sad day when the cattle leave, my dad had to sell his herd because of health reason's and it was aweful. since then the farm hasn't been the same it's lost it's heart and soul. it's just so dog gone depressing seeing everthing go down hill.

for the true cattlemen selling out is just as bad as dieing.because you dont have anything left to live for anymore.now mind im not putting down the wweekend cattlemen or those that decide to sell out.im saying how i feel.ive sold out twice.but always had cows around.an i wont sell the reg beefmaster herd.

bigbull338":3dqgr12r said:
for the true cattlemen selling out is just as bad as dieing.because you dont have anything left to live for anymore.now mind im not putting down the wweekend cattlemen or those that decide to sell out.im saying how i feel.ive sold out twice.but always had cows around.an i wont sell the reg beefmaster herd.

I imagine you're right bb

I have to say when the trailer was leaving the property it felt like my heart was being pulled out. My oldest cow and leader of the pack had her nose stuck out between the rails of the trailer, eyes wide mooing at me as if to ask what was going on. It's been one day and the place is just very still. I guess I depended on those cows as much as they on me.
There's nothing to do. I guess tomorrow I'll start putting away feeders and other equipment, save it all so I can raise some critters for my own use someday. Just a couple at a time.
Rob Johnson
Foley, MN.

you just went through 1 of the hardest things todo in your life an thats sell your cows.an itll take you a few weeks to get back to normal.

Dont you think you otta keep one feeder out, just in case you really get lonesome.
Tom.

Latest posts