Getting a New DSLR Camera

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
So, my old Sony is worn out. I guess 30,000 photos is more than it can handle.....It has done me well, but now I would like to take that next step up and get a DSLR camera. I don't really need anything too terribly fancy, I just want something that takes good photos(LOL) My brother-in-law is a photo journalist, and he knows his cameras, and he is telling me to go for the new Cannon Rebel T4i, and I do admit it looks like a pretty darn nice camera. I've been looking at the Cannon Rebel T3i as well, and it sounds pretty nice too. I can get the T3i for a fair bit cheaper (and with extra lenses) than the T4i (with just the one lens). The thing is I'm not sure if I need the 'improvements' or not. I mean is the touch screen something that I would even use?? Same thing with the video auto focus.

So anyone out there know anything about these 2 cameras and if so which would you recommend?

We don't have either but the things are beginning to be like cell phones. You buy one and a new and improved model comes out the next day. Heck I'd just buy the one that feels best in my hand.

I think that you would be happy without the touch screen. You might find an older model (last years) that does not have quite so many bells and whistles that would meet your needs. Unless you really think that you need them, there is no reason to pay for them. I am a camera junkie. I have an older Olympus that I love, and our daughters have a Nikon and Sony. All are excellent cameras.
The best thing would be if you can look at the camera you are thinking about in person. They all are different and you might find that one brand is easier for you to use than another.

This is a good site for camera reviews http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/#b

Well, I like the canons. So last night, after a bunch of research and price checking I found a really good deal on a T4i. Figured that I might as well get the newest model since it was less than $100 more than the T3i model. And, the sale that I found was over tomorrow too. Now I'm excited, and can't wait for it to show up!!!

I personally won't look at a camera with a touch screen - because I like to have mine with me at work and use it whenever I feel like it. That means mud, blood, pus, grease might be on my hands (I take a lot of photos while trimming out foot abscesses, like to have a record of what I've seen). Good thing I can't take a photo of the camera.
Just thought I'd throw that out there. It might not be of concern to you when choosing.

Your photos are one of the few things that is trying to convince me to upgrade my connection speed... so I can see more of them.

Thanks, regolith!! I really wasn't sure about that touch screen. Thought about what happens if it breaks or quits working. But I have a touch screen phone and I really like that. The other thing that I like about the T4i is that it has auto zoom when you are recording video, and I like to do that a bit too, so I thought it would also be nice to have.