Getting a cow to settle

Help Support CattleToday:

T Diamond

Reaction score
I have a fellow breeder who only has 3 head. He is breeding for show cattle. The vet he has been working with has been unable to get his cow to settle. He has been trying for almost a year. A.I.ing her every couple of months with 3-4 straws at a time. It has taken the vet several trys to get his heifer also and she finally settled. I do believe they have flushed the cow before this last breeding. He is asking me if I had any ideas. All three of mine did settle, 2 with A.I and 1 with live cover. I don't know which syn protical they were useing. Any suggestions are welcome. My boss, also a vet, suggested I try A.I.ing the cow sense I was able to get 2 to settle.

Thank you

First thing is to quit using synch protocols and let her have a couple of normal heats. Chart them to insure they are irregular in timing. AI her once 12 hours after an observed standing heat, if she doesn;t settle, do it again the next month and give a shot of GnRH when you breed her. If she's too fat, a strong possibility with a show cow, you may never get her to settle.
If that doesn;t work, run her with a bull for a couple of months. If she doesn;t settle then, ship her or eat her

She settled year before last and did calve last year. I have not seen her in a year, but she was pretty heavy. Weighing around 1500#. I don't think he wants to breed to just any bull, he wants a show bull and in our area we do not have any options on live cover to quality bulls. I used my horseshoer's bull for my last heifer just to get her breed. She was not tolerating being A.Ied. She did take on live cover.

Thanks

T Diamond":19buw6au said:
She settled year before last and did calve last year. I have not seen her in a year, but she was pretty heavy. Weighing around 1500#. I don't think he wants to breed to just any bull, he wants a show bull and in our area we do not have any options on live cover to quality bulls. I used my horseshoer's bull for my last heifer just to get her breed. She was not tolerating being A.Ied. She did take on live cover.

Thanks
The point in running her with a bull is to see if she is even capable of settling. That old girl goes too long with out settling and she'll just become a very hard to housebreak pet

T Diamond":nolpqvmk said:
Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you

Do you have any idea of how your fellow breeder is handling his cows immediately prior to AI'ing them? I do know that the higher the stress at AI'ing, the lower the settling rate is. Could this possibly be a factor in them not settling? As dun already mentioned, excessive weight is a factor, as well.

T Diamond":jh1zxqhb said:
I have a fellow breeder who only has 3 head. He is breeding for show cattle. The vet he has been working with has been unable to get his cow to settle. He has been trying for almost a year. A.I.ing her every couple of months with 3-4 straws at a time. It has taken the vet several trys to get his heifer also and she finally settled. I do believe they have flushed the cow before this last breeding. He is asking me if I had any ideas. All three of mine did settle, 2 with A.I and 1 with live cover. I don't know which syn protical they were useing. Any suggestions are welcome. My boss, also a vet, suggested I try A.I.ing the cow sense I was able to get 2 to settle.

Thank you

Do what everybody recommended at also tell your friend to get a new AI tech...this vet is shootin' semen in them like it's water and accomplishing nothing. If one straw won't get her settled I seriously doubt 4-5 will either.

TexasBred":1io72ti1 said:
T Diamond":1io72ti1 said:

Thank you

Do what everybody recommended at also tell your friend to get a new AI tech...this vet is shootin' semen in them like it's water and accomplishing nothing. If one straw won't get her settled I seriously doubt 4-5 will either.

Bingo!

Stocker Steve":2xkws8ob said:
Any tips on how fat is too fat to settle?

Steve I don't think I've ever had one "too fat" to settle although all are in very good condition. On the other hand I know I've had some that got too fat because they were not bred, especially dairy cattle with access to a lot of groceries and declining milk production. Cows with nothing to use their protein and energy on but body condition get fat easily but should ovulate.

T Diamond":1lhir5jc said:

Thank you
Live cover shoud git her done.

ollie?":4lf98bod said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":4lf98bod said:
Live cover shoud git her done.
Do you still have the shawl on the back of your rocker?

HUH? That is a totally off the wall post with no relevancy to this thread at all. I am 31 years old and dont own any shawls that I know of. IS that those afghan things?

If she has been flushed recently before an AI attempt then you should first give her some time to have a few natural heats as was stated in another post. Try this:
If you know the number of days of her estrous without synching her give her 2 cc's of Cystorellin 7 days before she is due in standing heat, then at breeding give her another round of Cystorellin @ 2cc's
Ed

T Diamond":2x7126pr said:

Thank you

Latest posts