gestation

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
just curious about gestation lengths noticed this year with spring calvers. i had about 20 receips that were scheduled to calve march 1st. none calved early, and so far, the last one calved yesterday on the 13th. what do you think the major contributor is to extended gestation?

ROB

I don't know the cause, but I've noticed it too. We use a bull, so I don't know exact due dates. However, if a cow looks like she will calve tonight (discharge, swollen vulva, full udder, pacing, etc.), she won't calve for a week to ten days. Calves are not very big, either. 55-60 lbs. All seem healthy so far though.

i hadn't used the embryo sired bull prior to this year, but according to his EPD's compared to our herd bull, the calves weights are right on target. Additonally, our herd bulls calves BW this spring is pretty much consistent with what i've seen in the past. kinda got me nervous this year having cows go that long especially since the Braunvieh breed isn't to highly recommended for low BW to begin with. :lol2:

ROB":1tl6vkhw said:
just curious about gestation lengths noticed this year with spring calvers. i had about 20 receips that were scheduled to calve march 1st. none calved early, and so far, the last one calved yesterday on the 13th. what do you think the major contributor is to extended gestation?

ROB

I don't have any experience with receips, but...

I did a timed A.I. on my heifers and cows last year. Heifers were due to start Feb. 1. First calf arrived on Jan. 24, and the last calf from the timed A.I. arrived on Jan 31. The others calved the week of Feb 25, so they evidently did not conceive from the artificial insemination.

Cows were due Feb. 15. First calf arrived Feb 7, but had a couple cows go 5 and 7 days past A.I. due date that conceived.

My experiences have been anywhere from 10 days before due date, to no more than 7 days past due date. If they go past 7 days, I assume the clean up bull got 'em.

I think many will say 14 days early to 14 days late is in the ballpark.

We used a PB Angus this year for a recip. She has had 2 previous calves, one 14 days early and one 10 days early, she is due the 28th. I'm curious to see when she calves. I'll let you know.

We have a bull that we sell semen on the has a shorter gestation. Usually 3-5 earlier than normal, works great for heifers.

Latest posts