Gert AI

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
I plan to AI a few of the gerts I recently purchased. Based on cost (shipping vs pickup) it seems most likely I will get semen from Tinney Farms. I was thinking Hatchet or Sombrero. I have heard Hatchet offspring may be a little "perky". Anything to that or does someone have a better rec. from Tinney Farms list of semen? I like Old Joe but his EPD's are not that strong.

Hatchet and Sombrero are good bulls. Don't let the low epd's on Old Joe worry you. They are low because of the multi-sire breeding from Briggs Ranch. Briggs' cattle are typically thick, meaty and easy fleshing. I have used Briggs 023/91 and love his females.

Check out Gunslinger 13/5, Wavemaker and Yogi 1562 in the SGBI semen catalog:
http://www.crpublishing.com/Santa-Gertr ... entry.html

You may also want to look at:http://www.bovine-elite.com/santaepd2.asp?idProduct=3863 This is Grid Maker 820 A lot of performance and carcass quality.

Briggs 021. Always look for moderation when trying to breed replacements in Santa Gertrudis I have been told. You don't want too much frame or too much milk when breeding replacements. Want easy fleshing and early maturing.

We used to have gerts back in the 90s and I am used to those big girls. I do like the look of old Joe daughters I have seen. I know hatchet was a big bull. My cows are moderate framed. I don't think they will get out of hand. Also, hatchets birth weight is a little above average, sould that be a concern?

Ryan,

If you want, send me a list of regisration #s for your new girls and Ill give you my opinion on what AI sires I would recommend...

The Best Gert Bull I've ever seen was on display at the State Fair of Texas this past Jan. He was on display at a walk through exhibit- he wasn't in the show barns with other bulls. He was stout made with a lot of bone. Much cleaner made than most and an unusually(good) level hip for a breed with that much brahma influence. IF anyone knows the bulls name please chime in.

I had a Hatchet son and he only lasted one year with the cows because of his temperment. One moderate polled bull I used was Wendts "Dandy" I got a real nice bull using him. Moderate size, deep bodied polled and clean underneath.

bward":3lhmj67o said:
I had a Hatchet son and he only lasted one year with the cows because of his temperment
That's really interesting. We've had exactly the opposite experience--of course, we only have one Hatchet daughter but she's as gentle as a lamb--not much to extrapolate from, but we are thinking about doing a flush so will be better able gauge in a couple of years. In terms of size, her yearling weight was 966, but she's a show heifer and on feed. Don't have access to weaning weight off the top of my head.

midtncattle: don't know what the market is like in your area, but if it's similar to our area, you might want to think about using some polled bulls like Briggs 023/91, Geronimo 3983, Mr CVF 2022 (combines both).

Thanks for your info saint gert. If I use a horned bull on Polled cows , what do I get. For cost purposes I need to use one of the bulls with my area so I don't have to ship semen.

Most likely will see polled or scurred--the horned gene is recessive. (Our Hatchet daughter is polled and out of a polled cow). You may do well breeding to a horned bull the first time around and then use a polled bull on anything that turns up with scurs.

Of the Tinney Farms bulls listed Tripp 777/0 and Cadillac 98 are the ones I know are polled, but they are not too heavily used these days. I"m not sure about Old Joe or Cinch. Grizzly 3308 has some polled genes back in his pedigree. Lovett Farm, based in Ohio, may have some Geronimo semen available and they are likely to be at the Crimson Classic- you might call them prior to the sale and see if they would be willing to sell you some and bring it down with them--or keep that in mind for a later date. Briggs 021 at Grandview is a 2022 son. You might talk to Dennis Jones of Gray Oaks as well--of the Alabama Connection members, I associate him the most with polled animals--Polled Chief 1/4 and now Polled Chief 508 would be ones to ask him about.

As a disclaimer: of these bulls, I have prior experience with Geronimo 3983 and Briggs 021; am preparing to AI one to Tripp 777/0 this year, so will hold off on judgment until I see the results.

Latest posts