genetics from exceptional cow

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
I have a non registered brangus cow that is structurally one of the best I've ever seen. She is almost too easy a keeper and milks like a guernsey. I would like to have more cows with her genetics in them.

Any of yall ever considered embryo transplant on a non registered animal or is the cost just too prohibitive?

JB

I'm not an expert on ET, but the costs vary quite a lot. You would have to find an embryoligist in your area or a vet qualifed and check there prices. Usually the biggest cost is the recip cows.
There is a lot of ET work going on that should never be done. In my opinion, you should not try to propagate something unless she has proven she can reproduce herself, or better. Some cows just happen to have the right combination of genes to "look" good - but never transmit it to her offspring. Same with bulls.

She does transmit. That is why I am interested in the ET. Her calves are exceptionally growthy and have her 'good' looks. I would use 10 or so head out of my own herd as recipient cows. I don't know of any local techs, but I'll call the local AI guy and ask some of the guys at the farm supply stores.

JB

J Baxter":1o2rv2ad said:
She does transmit. That is why I am interested in the ET. Her calves are exceptionally growthy and have her 'good' looks. I would use 10 or so head out of my own herd as recipient cows. I don't know of any local techs, but I'll call the local AI guy and ask some of the guys at the farm supply stores.

JB

If you have your own recips it wont be that expensive . usually around 250.00 to flush the cow and $75.00 to transfer fresh eggs. It will be a good way to get the quality of heifers you are to trying to get .If you send her off to be flushed , expect to pay a per day fee and possibly a fee for shots and HeatWatch enrollment.

if she raises good calves you can have her flushed. it will cost around $400 to have her set up. ai, and flushed. you will also have the cost of setting up the recips and putting in the eggs. you will probably get only about 50% bred so have a good clean up bull ready.if she is good the way I look at it is you will spend a lot more trying to get good genetics and you you know she is good so why not try for more calves out of her.

Latest posts