Generator time???

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought a new generator a couple years ago just to be prepared. Haven't had to use it yet, but wired a heavy duty cord to plug in the dryer outlet. I can run the cord through the dryer vent and into the outlet and didn't haven't to re-wire anything. I should check it, I believe it should work. I just didn't want to put gas or oil in the generator until I have to.

Of course, the breaker will be shut off so that electricity doesn't back flow. But anyone know of a reason this won't work?

skyhightree1":35q2yabx said:
I have still been fighting with the idea of getting a whole house generator installed. I typically don't loose power alot and im still wondering whether its worth the 10k ball park of estimates I have got to put in one. Does anyone in here have one and can speak on their experience with them? I am speaking of systems like the generac generators.

My parents just had one installed. So far they haven't lost power, if that changes I'll let you know what they think.

Commercialfarmer":v5p2gr3b said:
I bought a new generator a couple years ago just to be prepared. Haven't had to use it yet, but wired a heavy duty cord to plug in the dryer outlet. I can run the cord through the dryer vent and into the outlet and didn't haven't to re-wire anything. I should check it, I believe it should work. I just didn't want to put gas or oil in the generator until I have to.

Of course, the breaker will be shut off so that electricity doesn't back flow. But anyone know of a reason this won't work?
That's what a lot of people do here. It will work but make sure your dryer plug wires are sized at less the same as your gen cord is

Commercialfarmer":29p1lgee said:

That's what I do.

fitz

jedstivers":5qm563eo said:
I'd still pull the meter off the house so you know the wrong breaker won't be thrown and it back feed down the line.
They put a metal tag on the meters here that tell if they've been taken off or not. And there's the slight risk of explosion when removed or installed if they are live. Just in the interest Of disclosure.

jedstivers":1ci7e9xy said:
They do the same here but I don't think you'll find a lineman that will complain. Ours will be happy to put them back on when the powers back on.
yep we got a pretty good lineman he don't even say anything when he has to put lines back up that someone tore down while running the dozer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And NO it wasn't ME on the dozer

jedstivers":kh3iczce said:
They shouldn't put them in the way if they want them to stay in the air.
They'll even do it if you smack a pole hard enough with a batwing brushhog to knock it down. Didn;t even charge for it.

The advice to pull the meter is spot on.

My brother in law is a lineman for our electric coop. He says ALWAYS pull the meter when you back feed through your house. He says throwing the breaker isn't sufficient, somehow it can possibly backfeed through the neutral as someone else here mentioned.

I plug mine into my welder receptacle in my shop. We lucked out, no outage. I would hate to be dealing with that right now, it is hard enough feeding the cows and wood boiler with a layer of ice on the ground and a foot of snow on top.
Plus I would get to take care of four generators if we go down. Mine, daughter (son in law is hunting in Illinois) father in law and if the power is down the brother in law mentioned above, doesn't come home for days....

Latest posts