Gcrkranch: Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks BR, they are coming strong now. What a change in spring compared to last year. We still had a foot of old snow at this time in 2018.

gcreekrch said:
Thanks BR, they are coming strong now. What a change in spring compared to last year. We still had a foot of old snow at this time in 2018.

Glad to do it. It has been cool here.

53 calves in 36 hours, including a c section and three pulls.

Let's git er dun!

Randi said:
Your barn setup looks a lot like ours.

We have some rubber belting we roll out on the floor and store pellets in this building during the winter.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I saw a tag on at least 1 calf. do you tag them right away at calving? That's a LOT of calves to process in "not a LOT of time!
Great pictures!

Every calf gets two intranasal vaccines, a Toltrazuril capsule, bull calves are banded, weight guesstimated within 5 lbs and an ear tag as close to birth as possible. We do have help so I can concentrate on tagging and any calving difficulties that arise.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Great management. You and/or help must not get much sleep!!!

This spring has been great weather. I make a check at 1 AM and am usually back to sleep at 2:30 after covering three groups of cattle over 120 acres. Have been averaging about 7 hours. :D

We once calved in February with 200 cows. It was more work and less sleep than our management now. We have learned to cull very hard for bags. Most cows are sold as bred cows at 8 or 9 years old as that is when their udders seem to go and many need assistance with calves getting first suck. That is a chore that can use up many hours.

I'm sure glad I didn't calf out in feb this year... I've been working hard on udders too.. I'm at a pretty good point there now.. they're all functional and don't seem to fall apart with age anymore. Still have some minor improvements to do.. a few less extra teats in some lines.
I find the "right" udder is one where on a mature cow the bottom of the bag is at navel height when it's full, and teats the size of your thumb, laid out nice and squarely
I think this cow was about 4 years old..

Right before calving at about 10 years old... certainly more milk in there but a calf should have no issues finding those spigots

Gcrkranch, do you breed AI with clean up or strictly walking bulls? Do you synchronize? What is your cow:bull ratio? What percentage of your herd will calve in the first heat cycle? How many years have you started your breeding season on the same date? Thanks.

anewcomer said:
Gcrkranch, do you breed AI with clean up or strictly walking bulls? Do you synchronize? What is your cow:bull ratio? What percentage of your herd will calve in the first heat cycle? How many years have you started your breeding season on the same date? Thanks.

No AI, no synchronizing. We use 6 bulls per 100 cows on mostly open range. Many years we are at least 20% done before due date. We normally are 80%+ done 30 days after the first calf is born. We just may beat that this year.

Have been turning bulls out July 1 to 3 for about 20 years now. It works better for lazy people to calve when the weather is a little more on your side. :) ( Most years!)

Gcrkranch, thanks for that information. It is obvious that you have your nutrition right between calving and breeding to have that many born in the first cycle. Many of us on this board would be well served to follow your techniques.

Latest posts