Gathering Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We've been busy the last week or so, getting all the cattle back home from the various pastures they spent the summer in. Here's some photos,

Gathering the bred heifers,

Through the gate,
DSC05744.jpg

Heading out,
DSC05745.jpg

Found them,
DSC05753.jpg

There they are
DSC05752.jpg

And they're off....
DSC05756.jpg

DSC05762.jpg

No need to rush, they'll settle down.
DSC05761.jpg

Looking for the last of them
DSC05763.jpg

Big country, and wow, there is still water out there too....
DSC05767.jpg

Getting the last of them
DSC05768.jpg

Heading across the summer fallow to the corrals.
DSC05771.jpg

Getting the cows out of the Community Pasture. Our cows are summered with 6 other patrons, we didn't help gather this year, but got there just as they were bringing the cattle into the corral, and in time to sort.

There they come
DSC05851.jpg

4 riders, a whole lot of cows...
DSC05852.jpg

Across the road towards the corral
DSC05859.jpg

DSC05864.jpg

Getting them there,
DSC05867.jpg

It was a cool morning,
DSC05871.jpg

Almost in the corral
DSC05881.jpg

Waiting for the sort,
DSC05882.jpg

DSC05885.jpg

Next??
DSC05888.jpg

Up the alley to be sorted...
DSC05891.jpg

Waiting patiently
DSC05893.jpg

The sorting crew, done!
DSC05894.jpg

All sorted, the truck is ours.
DSC05895.jpg

Our cows...
DSC05896.jpg

How we had to unload, as a Y on the hydrant froze the day before and broke, and flooded out in front of our loading chute....
DSC05897.jpg

DSC05898.jpg

beautiful pictures.

We are still running round in tee shirts here.
cool in the mornings but sixties and seventies during the day.
I spect when the wether changes for us it will change hard all at once.

Also beautiful pictures, as usual. Thanks for taking the time to post them for us. A very different environment and system than mine so is especially interesting. Jim

Thanks for sharing Randi. Been a long time since I have been in your area, sure is pretty though.
Looks like things went smoothly . :)

Absolutely fascinating, so different from the way we do things down here. No trees! I have some serious questions and remember I've never been any farther north than Michigan and that was to visit my sister in a neighborhood.

1. Are they totally on their own during those summer months?

2. Do you have any predator problems?

3. I'm sure I missed it but how do you sort the cattle? I didn't see ear tags, do you have brands?

4. How long did it take to sort all of the cattle?

Appreciate every minute in that beautiful area! You're living the dream I'll probably never get to, man some of those pics look like they are from a movie.

tncattle":1oesa8bw said:
Absolutely fascinating, so different from the way we do things down here. No trees! I have some serious questions and remember I've never been any farther north than Michigan and that was to visit my sister in a neighborhood.

1. Are they totally on their own during those summer months?

2. Do you have any predator problems?

3. I'm sure I missed it but how do you sort the cattle? I didn't see ear tags, do you have brands?

4. How long did it take to sort all of the cattle?

Appreciate every minute in that beautiful area! You're living the dream I'll probably never get to, man some of those pics look like they are from a movie.

First off, thanks for all the comments!! Glad you all enjoyed the photos.

TN,
1. mostly they are on their own. There are pasture riders that check on them over the summer and treat if there are problems. We had 1 old cow pulled out in Sept cause she was losing a lot of weight and they treated a calf for pink eye.

2. Not really, the biggest predator we have out here is a coyote, so the only time we have much problems is in the spring at calving time.

3. The cattle are all tagged, with the owner's brand marked on the tag, and they are all branded. So mostly they use tags to sort with, and if one has lost a tag, they look for the brand.

4. We were there at 8:30 am to sort, and we had our first load loaded by 11. So about 2-3 hours to sort about 230 head.

Gorgous pics! Miss doing that. Everything is so built up here now. It's depressing. Nice sorting facilities to.
OK, whys it called a california door? Peaked my curiosity.
Double R

Double R Ranch":2oyt2lzg said:
OK, whys it called a california door?
I always called it a side door. I'd guess it's called a California door becuse there's probably a law in California that says you have to have a side door for emergency evacuations of livestock.

Latest posts