Gate latches?

Help Support CattleToday:

glfgy74

Reaction score
I'm building a new gate this weekend. Thought i'd ask the boarders (pun intended) what they think of the available latches...which are a NO-NO and which are best??

Gate will be similiar to this with 8.5' tall posts and a cross beam connecting them:

wooden-farm-gates-3.jpg

where will the gate be located ? How much will it be used ? what will it be kept behind it??

On wood gates I like a wood latch either sliding or flip. To me it makes the gate look authentic

It's a Pasture gate near our house, so we are looking for a little more jazz/style with it. It'll hold cattle and see some moderate to heavy use but mainly human traffic not cattle or vehicles. We'll probably drive the tractor in and out of it but thats about it....

Authentic is what i'm looking for!!

glfgy74":2f7e6mtl said:
It's a Pasture gate near our house, so we are looking for a little more jazz/style with it. It'll hold cattle and see some moderate to heavy use but mainly human traffic not cattle or vehicles. We'll probably drive the tractor in and out of it but thats about it....
Authentic is what i'm looking for!!

I might be missing something here but how are you going to drive a tractor through it with the posts being 8.5' with a cross bracket on them? Mightn't it be better to have just one tall post and a cable attached to it and the end of the gate to add support because these wood gates are heavy and tend to want to sag.

My tractor is only a 55hp New Holland, the darn exhaust pipe is the only reason i need it to be more than 8' tall...i have an open access gate out in the pasture further away from the house for the bigger tractors when they come around....

d5f64787-48e1-40cf-b539-81770d4ad980.jpg

i have thought about the sag issue...i think i will add a cable to it!

I would also suggest using three hinges - this will help insure the post doesn't bend with time. I learned this the hard way.

Appreciate the feedback. Custom Gate built by me for a nice touch near the house so the standard tube type latches and hardware aren't going to work to well for this one, but will work great on the other gates in the pastures.

kalleyrampton":30oa406n said:
glfgy74":30oa406n said:
I'm building a new gate this weekend. Thought i'd ask the boarders (pun intended) what they think of the available latches...which are a NO-NO and which are best??

Gate will be similiar to this with 8.5' tall posts and a cross beam connecting them:

wooden-farm-gates-3.jpg

See, as you depicted that its a wooden gate then you may try for a wooden latch that would really do and would give a decent look to you door like I recently build a new door from my used office furniture and it look like this
images

I hope it would help you !!

thats a great project there! Looks great.

Latest posts