Gate jumper

Help Support CattleToday:

Portable? I see that...i need to be 20 to 40 years old to hand move those around.😄 Those are very nice panels! Nice set-up-super stong and tall.
Thanks.
Tractor with pallet forks is going to make it portable. I have an old equipment hauler trailer that is going to be the permanent storage. Pull it to the pasture with the tractor, unhook, set up, barely get out of the seat. (That's the goal anyway) Those panels weigh 600lbs apiece.

Thanks.
Tractor with pallet forks is going to make it portable. I have an old equipment hauler trailer that is going to be the permanent storage. Pull it to the pasture with the tractor, unhook, set up, barely get out of the seat. (That's the goal anyway) Those panels weigh 600lbs apiece.
You're definately doing something right SBMF with all that nice panel/gate steel and equipment, haulers. I can only wish for THAT set-up. Lots of dollars there...but once you own it it's yours to make progress.

My father went to FL in the 40's when he was a plantation manager. The owner wanted a Brahma bull. When they were looking at the cattle in FL one calf cleared a 6' fence. Daddy said something to the guy and his reply was, "He was just a tad excited". The ones they bought were dog-gentle.

"He was just a tad excited". The ones they bought were dog-gentle.
Contrary to popular (non-rancher) belief, most of them are.
I wish I still had the picture of all my 4 kids on Dad's brahma bull, probably around 1978, when my oldest 8 and youngest was 3. (My city girl wife was scared crapless the whole time I was standing there with them while Dad took the picture. But in hindsight, it probably wasn't the brightest idea I ever had)

You're definately doing something right SBMF with all that nice panel/gate steel and equipment, haulers. I can only wish for THAT set-up. Lots of dollars there...but once you own it it's yours to make progress.
Thank you, an investment for sure.
I have watched to many producers wait "until we can afford it" or worse wait until someone gets really hurt to make major improvements to working facilities.
It's not that I can necessarily afford to do it, but more like I can't not afford it. My son thinks he wants to be a veterinarian. He started working cattle with me when he was 8. One night (before I had a crowd tub) we were vaccinating fall cow. I got a phone call I had to take. When I got done he was so proud of himself that he had loaded the last four cows in the alley by himself. I decided right then that I could skimp on other things but that I was going to have the safest facilities I could.
I'm not doing it all at once. Last year was a tub and Load out. This year it's a portable corral.
The interesting part to me is that when you're starting out you make do with what you can afford; I bought cows nobody else wanted, had fences and pens that only worked because the cows wanted to cooperate that day. Any that didn't require cash or interest, I could make work. But as things started to fall into place things got smoother. The cows that jumped gates or tried to kill you when they calved got sold. I bought or built taller heavier gates. And some how without even realizing I built a cow herd that is easy to catch,sort, and load. I can't remember the last time I had a mature cow try to jump a gate. It really is enjoyable now.

I have watched to many producers wait "until we can afford it" or worse wait until someone gets really hurt to make major improvements to working facilities.
It's not that I can necessarily afford to do it, but more like I can't not afford it. My son thinks he wants to be a veterinarian. He started working cattle with me when he was 8. One night (before I had a crowd tub) we were vaccinating fall cow. I got a phone call I had to take. When I got done he was so proud of himself that he had loaded the last four cows in the alley by himself. I decided right then that I could skimp on other things but that I was going to have the safest facilities I could.
I'm not doing it all at once. Last year was a tub and Load out. This year it's a portable corral.
The interesting part to me is that when you're starting out you make do with what you can afford; I bought cows nobody else wanted, had fences and pens that only worked because the cows wanted to cooperate that day. Any that didn't require cash or interest, I could make work. But as things started to fall into place things got smoother. The cows that jumped gates or tried to kill you when they calved got sold. I bought or built taller heavier gates. And some how without even realizing I built a cow herd that is easy to catch,sort, and load. I can't remember the last time I had a mature cow try to jump a gate. It really is enjoyable now.
It is amazing to me how many people don't have some of the most simple handling pens... and know how to use them. When I was working with vets at least half the places we went involved a rodeo. Tying a mad cow to the bumper of a truck is not the best way to doctor them.

Thanks.
Going to pick up a set of ten this next Monday over by Paris Texas. Ready to have some better pens myself

This is wisdom talking. Re-read if you don't get it the first time.

Latest posts