Gate jumper

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
AFFBEB02-945F-422E-AACE-E786498683FD.jpeg3024B0E0-BDEF-49E2-B9E3-854C173DD565.jpegBF76E7CD-F4CC-4488-8A85-E5469FF9EA12.jpeg
Weaned this bull calf today for around a half hour.

Caught him, a couple other calves and a few culls. He never acted out of the way, sorted and loaded easily. Took him a half mile to my weaner pen, had nine head already there. Got home and started washing the trailer and the phone rang, calf out. We walk him back in, and fix the hot wire on top the woven wire fence he jumped through. I was going to get some feed and leave him in the catch pen a while, turned my back to go to the truck and he bailed over the gate pictured. It's three inches shorter than the corral panels.

I gave up. We followed him back up the hill to momma. Next time he hits the trailer will be his last for me!

Corral and Gates need to be 6' high without barb-wire. Gates covered in plywood-sheet metal (covered) better. Wasn't the calf's fault. If your plans were to sell him as a bull, has good genetics... to be a breeder...I would still sell him. You can reform and control a fence-gate jumper later in life...they need to know they will never be locked in for long for sorting....or better yet be given the opportunity to leave the corral first. Older cattle are pretty easy once they know they won't be the ones going into the loading chute for a bye-bye. Best to ween calves in groups, they follow their peer role models (more relaxed)...i wouldn't want to ween one alone....hell on wheels seeing its little frightened head banging on the corral-deforming-stretching things.

Last edited:
Corral and Gates need to be 6' high without barb-wire. Gates covered in plywood-sheet metal (covered) better. Wasn't the calf's fault. If your plans were to sell him as a bull, has good genetics... to be a breeder...I would still sell him. You can reform and control a fence-gate jumper later in life...they need to know they will never be locked in for long for sorting....or better yet be given the opportunity to leave the corral first. Older cattle are pretty easy once they know they won't be the ones going into the loading chute for a bye-bye. Best to ween calves in groups, they follow their peer role models (more relaxed)...i wouldn't want to ween one alone....hell on wheels seeing its little frightened head banging on the corral-deforming-stretching things.
A578C8BE-73AC-45EC-A6CF-8AF178553CD0.jpeg
Two more gates to build. Gates are 72" high. Panels are 66" high. This is my new portable corral.

We had a Charolais start jumping. She is GONE. lol very wise of you, especially bad because he is a bull.
We have a cow who we absolutely cannot do fence line weaning with. She lines up to the fence and lets her calf nurse.... hilarious and SO annoying. Anyway thats kind of off topic sorry.

Latest posts