Gas vs Diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

i had a cummins 2500 4wd 5 speed ,it was a hoss,,,straighten the wheel put it in 4low and in grandmaw .. get out and walk beside it and get 21mpg on the highway... outside of the truck i have now, it was my favorite...

96 chevy dually 4x4 with the vortec 350..... not the truck the dodge was .. i miss that part on these mountains but its been one of the best truck ive owned...

I bought a little gas getter SUV to drive daily so my 03 Dodge diesel sits most of the time except when pulling or hauling. It might get driven every two weeks on average. I wouldn't want it for my every day driver but sure like having the pulling capability and additional MPG when I drive it.

An every day driver type half ton truck sounds great until I want to tow plus I don't want the payment. I like the older two vehicle system and it seems to work well for me. No payments and only minimal maintenance so far. With so few miles put on the diesel the regular higher priced maintenance is also stretched out.

Hey C.B. how many BTU's are in a gallon of cooking or used motor oil?? My 92 Ford diesel gets 19mpg on motor oil and 17 mph on cooking oil. Gas is .50 cents a gallon cheaper then diesel here in middle GA. I get around 70 gallons of oil a month from the county, and another 50-100 gallons of cooking oil per month. You guys are missing the boat by not running oil in the older diesel engines in the summer. Don't try it in the winter unless you have 2 tanks and you can purge the engine with diesel before you turn it off.

highgrit":33fbf3b0 said:
Hey C.B. how many BTU's are in a gallon of cooking or used motor oil?? My 92 Ford diesel gets 19mpg on motor oil and 17 mph on cooking oil. Gas is .50 cents a gallon cheaper then diesel here in middle GA. I get around 70 gallons of oil a month from the county, and another 50-100 gallons of cooking oil per month. You guys are missing the boat by not running oil in the older diesel engines in the summer. Don't try it in the winter unless you have 2 tanks and you can purge the engine with diesel before you turn it off.

That's some good thinking Highgrit. Seems there was another thread and a member was talking about using cooking oil some time back. I've often though of looking into that but have never gotten around to it.

jedstivers":289lsew5 said:
I paying more and running a Diesle. When I hook to something I want to pull it whenever and wherever I want to go at the speed and in any heat.

Same here.

J&D Cattle":51vohse2 said:
highgrit":51vohse2 said:

That's some good thinking Highgrit. Seems there was another thread and a member was talking about using cooking oil some time back. I've often though of looking into that but have never gotten around to it.

I don't have a clue my chemistry background is in hydrocarbon's.
I do know that most biofuel's have a lower btu value than traditional hydrocarbon's.
Example ethanol is like 96000 btu's per gallon. I also know that most biofuel's have acid issues as well and less lubricity in the studies I have read. We had a division that played in biofuel's and could never get it to be profitable to mass produce.
I am surprised on the motor oil in you are not having alot of parrifin diesel is a C-16 hydrocarbon and motor oil is a C-36.
The C-36 under the right condition's should burn much hotter as you have over twice as much stored energy in the carbon molecule. The longer the hydrocarbon molecule the more nasties are attached. Organic N and Sul under those conditons makes sulfric acid and ammonia along with NOX and SOX. I am amazed it is legal to run.

C.B. I don't know the legal part of it. But it does smoke more and it's hard starting in the winter. I just call it bio-diesel and go with it.

Can you still get a 3/4 ton, and a 1 ton with a gas engine and a manual transmission. I bought a new truck in 2007, and it wasn't an option. I'm not a fan of a diesel for all the reasons mentioned. I really like a gas burner with a stick for hauling. I wanted get a 2007 before 2007 and a half came out. It might have not been an option for me because they were all gone. I can't remember.

Bigfoot":18nvzsuc said:
Can you still get a 3/4 ton, and a 1 ton with a gas engine and a manual transmission. I bought a new truck in 2007, and it wasn't an option. I'm not a fan of a diesel for all the reasons mentioned. I really like a gas burner with a stick for hauling. I wanted get a 2007 before 2007 and a half came out. It might have not been an option for me because they were all gone. I can't remember.
You can't get any gm product since 07 and 1/2 gas or diesel with a Manuel transmission, I'm nearly positive that ford is the same now too. But you can still get a dodge with one. That was one of the big parts of why I bought a dodge in 07, mine is a diesel, but we have a lot better Chevy dealer around here and I might have bought one if they had still offered a Manuel.

denvermartinfarms":2898z8qr said:
Bigfoot":2898z8qr said:
You can't get any gm product since 07 and 1/2 gas or diesel with a Manuel transmission, I'm nearly positive that ford is the same now too. But you can still get a dodge with one. That was one of the big parts of why I bought a dodge in 07, mine is a diesel, but we have a lot better Chevy dealer around here and I might have bought one if they had still offered a Manuel.

No Ford or GM manuals for a while now. The GM push button shifter on the Allison is pretty good. Some guys were telling me you can't get a Manual in the newest Dodges now either.

I bought a 2010 2500 4x4 Dodge diesel with a manual tranny about a year ago. In no way did I think it was cheaper or any thing. Just wanted a truck I could take off with my boat or go hunting and go 80mph if I wanted. My newer Z71 got 9mph pulling my boat and 75mph was tough to hold. I get 15mpg in the diesel and can barely tell its back there. It was strictly a convience deal.

The down side to the diesels are they are just so heavy. They aren't worth a flip in the pasture. The perfect situation is a diesel in the drive way for long hauls and a 1/2 4x4 gas for bouncing around feeding, checking cattle, ect.

dun":37ky8o55 said:
dun":37ky8o55 said:
Here gas is 3.84, diesel is 3.65
Gas is up a dime overnight, diesel still the same

Seems that's the way gas and diesel should be priced. Down here it's reversed. Gas is $3.399 and highway diesel is $3.759 most places. Even higher in others.

Brute 23":2502y8kl said:
denvermartinfarms":2502y8kl said:

No Ford or GM manuals for a while now. The GM push button shifter on the Allison is pretty good. Some guys were telling me you can't get a Manual in the newest Dodges now either.

I bought a 2010 2500 4x4 Dodge diesel with a manual tranny about a year ago. In no way did I think it was cheaper or any thing. Just wanted a truck I could take off with my boat or go hunting and go 80mph if I wanted. My newer Z71 got 9mph pulling my boat and 75mph was tough to hold. I get 15mpg in the diesel and can barely tell its back there. It was strictly a convience deal.

The down side to the diesels are they are just so heavy. They aren't worth a flip in the pasture. The perfect situation is a diesel in the drive way for long hauls and a 1/2 4x4 gas for bouncing around feeding, checking cattle, ect.

You could probably bolt in a manual tranny onto a new Vortec from out of a old chevy that had one. Would need some jerry rigging, but I don't think they changed the bolt line up on them unless they did for the allison trannies.

Dad bought a new 3/4 vortec 6.0 chevy with the new Allison tranny. I like it, and it seems to like to pull the 20' gooseneck with a full load of walking hamburger. Wanted something new, and wasn't going to buy any of that EPA diesel crap they are trying to sell now so got gassed, and liked it. :lol2:

I paid $2.99 for gas yesterday and $3.67 for diesel. I still think both should be around $2.25 a gal. I'm a tightwad :D

Latest posts