Gas Line

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
One sprung a leak around here last night. It sounded like a military jet airplane. Best I could tell it sounded like it was about a half to a mile away. We left. How far away should you be from a leak to be safe?

From what I saw of an exploded gas line in WA a while back I would saw over 5 miles.

Yikes!!!

I was inside the house and heard that noise. Went outside and was trying to figure out what it was. Thought of the gas line. I called 911 and they told me it was the gas line. We left, husband was at work and called police later to see if it was safe to come home and they said yes, that they had not evacuated anyone. What??? Why wouldn't they evacuate people? I didn't need anyone to evacuate me. :D

Gate Opener":25hpotli said:
We left, husband was at work and called police later to see if it was safe to come home and they said yes, that they had not evacuated anyone. What??? Why wouldn't they evacuate people? I didn't need anyone to evacuate me. :D

I would guess that it depends on where the leak is and how quickly they can shut off the flow. The one I saw had been leaking underground for sometime until it finally blew up.

I think that you may be talking about the gas leak here in Smith County a few nights ago. That leak ignited and made one heck of a fire. There wasn't any danger to the neighbors as long as the fire was burning since all of the escaping gas was being consumed. Also, gas burns clean so there wouldn't be any dangerous smoke. If there was no fire and the gas was leaking and drifting down wind it would have been a very dangerious situation. One of the benefits of living in the middle of the East Texas Oilfield.

May of just been a pop off which happens during high use. Did y'all have a cold snap demanding more on the system?

This happened last night in Van Zandt county.

I just wore a light jacket last night so I wouldn't think there would be more of a demand.

The 911 operator told me that there was a leak.

I don't know how to find out what happened.