Gas in my diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

totalloss

Reaction score
my wife stopped to get fuel and put gas in my dodge diesel.
she drove it fine for 10 miles to home .As soon as i started it up i knew what she had done. what should i do? (with the truck ,not the wife)

i would say drain it then flush it with some sort of conditioner or something similar. flaboy and a few other would be better able to help though. with the wife, show her where it says "Diesel Fuel Only"! I believe it says it inside fuel door.

she went to the truck island at a truck stop,picked up the green nozzle , and started pumping. She can't read REGULAR UNLEADED, you think she can read "diesel fuel only"
tl

If it were mine, I would drain all the fuel from the tank, the lines and everywhere I could find a drain. Then change the fuel filter and bleed the seperator if it has one. It wouldn't hurt to put a can of diesel fuel conditioner in the tank to help lubricate the fuel system. After this if it starts and runs alright I wouldn't worry much about it, a diesel will take a lot of abuse. We rented a farm one time and the owner gave us use of his JD 2020 if we maintained it. He filled the fuel tank up with water one day thinking it was low on coolant. It took a while to get the water out, but it ran fine once all the water worked its way out. Out of curiousity, what year is your truck and how much gas is in it compared to diesel?

I have a 1968 JD 2020 That I love. It burnes very little fuel and rakes hay all day. It has a 143 loader on it too.

Friend has a 00 or 01 Ford F350 diesel. He filled it up with gas in town and drove to ranch, about 20 miles. When he got there, I asked what was wrong with the truck. It was smokiong and running rough. After a few minutes, he suddenly remembered he might have put gas in it. We then siphoned all the gas out of the tank, changed the fuel filter, and filled with fresh diesel. As far as I know, it is still running OK.

totalloss":3p0bl628 said:
my wife stopped to get fuel and put gas in my dodge diesel.
she drove it fine for 10 miles to home .As soon as i started it up i knew what she had done. what should i do? (with the truck ,not the wife)

Trade the wife in on a new truck :?:

10 miles you should be ok. Diesel is not just the fuel for the engine it is also a cylinder lubricant. If you can get it drained, change all fuel filters, run the stuff out of the lines that is in there, it should clean up and run just fine.

flaboy- said:
Trade the wife in on a new truck :?
Wow that is the single worse advice I have ever heard, it would be cheaper to buy a new truck than trade the old girl in.
Also you have breakin time, and the new girl would have to learn how he wants his coffee, breakfast and so and and so on.

MD

thanks for the reassurance.i did just that, drained the tank,removed the filter, drained the filter housing and put .5 quart of tranny fluid in housing before putting new filter in,put fuel in tank. She started rite up no smoke no knock ,runs great.wish the wife were that easy to fix.

totalloss

redfornow":3uqrjeff said:
flaboy-":3uqrjeff said:
Trade the wife in on a new truck :?

Wow that is the single worse advice I have ever heard, it would be cheaper to buy a new truck than trade the old girl in.
Also you have breakin time, and the new girl would have to learn how he wants his coffee, breakfast and so and and so on.

MD

You just have to trade while the resale value is still high.

cfpinz":16dvkouc said:
He filled the fuel tank up with water one day thinking it was low on coolant.

You're kidding, right? :eek: I fully realize that common sense is seriously lacking in today's world, but this one takes the cake I think (but I could be wrong)! :shock:

msscamp":2d6yko32 said:
cfpinz":2d6yko32 said:

You're kidding, right? :eek: I fully realize that common sense is seriously lacking in today's world, but this one takes the cake I think (but I could be wrong)! :shock:

Had a neighbor that filled his gas riding mower with diesel because it was cheaper then gas.

dun

msscamp":1tormv28 said:
cfpinz":1tormv28 said:

No, I'm not kidding. He was in his eighties when he did it, he did some strange things in his last few years. No offense to our senior members. I've got one neighbor that can top that by a long shot many different times. Next time I have a few minutes I'll set down and write up some of the things he's done.

Dun - Nice Avatar!

cfpinz":10hogufk said:
No, I'm not kidding. He was in his eighties when he did it, he did some strange things in his last few years.

That does put a different twist on things. It's very sad when that happens.

totalloss":1ewpk07x said:
thanks for the reassurance.i did just that, drained the tank,removed the filter, drained the filter housing and put .5 quart of tranny fluid in housing before putting new filter in,put fuel in tank. She started rite up no smoke no knock ,runs great.wish the wife were that easy to fix.

totalloss

Hey TL

What is the purpose of 1/2 quart of tranny fluid in the housing?

I'm sure there's a good reason but was just curious.

Thanks

Dub

dun":1r46utyz said:
msscamp":1r46utyz said:
cfpinz":1r46utyz said:

Had a neighbor that filled his gas riding mower with diesel because it was cheaper then gas.

dun

:eek: That just blows my mind. :roll: :roll: