Gardening Tips 'n Tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

OK, I'll start...

TOMATO CAGES

Tomato cages can be made from concrete reinforcement wire. Count 11 uncut squares and cut with a bolt cutter. Bend the cut wire around the other side to make the cage. A T-post anchored to the cage prevents the wind or the weight the plant from toppling it over. These cages will last for years!

I plant mine in old syrup tubs. Makes it easy to move in and out of bad weather. They also give you a good support for your wire.

Scotty

I can't imagine why more folks don't use the cheap 16' cattle panels in their gardens for cukes. Sure beats all that bending over and stepping all over the vines when trying to pick the cukes.

Also, you can make a nice, easy and long-lasting arbor for flowering vines, grapes, pole beans, etc. by bending those panels into a half moon shape and anchoring them solidly to the ground.

If anybody knows of a non-itchy okra I'm sure a lot of us would love to hear about it!

Out here in west texas its dry. Tomatoes do much better not caged to create more humidity for the plants. I let mine grow together on the ground. Getting huge tomatoes this way.

We have tomato bags. The roots are at the top and then the plant grows out the bottom so you don't have to worry about holding the plant up. They're really cool.

M Gravlee":3prorl23 said:
OK, I'll start...

TOMATO CAGES

Tomato cages can be made from concrete reinforcement wire. Count 11 uncut squares and cut with a bolt cutter. Bend the cut wire around the other side to make the cage. A T-post anchored to the cage prevents the wind or the weight the plant from toppling it over. These cages will last for years!

I have some of these that are ten years old and still in great shape

try letting the garden de-weed itself by growing a variety of vegetables in the same area. For ex. try corn, climbing peas, and zuchini in the same patch.

Zuchinis can be harvested quite a bit larger than those that you buy in the store before they get to tough/coarse to eat. Slightly smaller than your fore-arm is about as large as let them go. Watching the diameter is more important than length and check them everyday b/c they grow overnight.

A bit more elementary, but avoid planting different squash varieties too close together.

Santas and Duhram Reds":sjn77fbz said:
...A bit more elementary, but avoid planting different squash varieties too close together.

Whoops.... :oops: Why's that? They cross polinate? I figure any major screw up I make in my veggitable garden can usually be corrected the following year. :dunce:

how do ya know when a watermelon is ripe to pick....

ive got some growin in a pasture that mustve fell ut of a truck last yr and now i got about 6 nice ones growin....but i dont wanna pick em too early

dieselbeef":1168ksn1 said:
how do ya know when a watermelon is ripe to pick....

ive got some growin in a pasture that mustve fell ut of a truck last yr and now i got about 6 nice ones growin....but i dont wanna pick em too early

Check for:
1. A pale yellow ground spot (underside of melon)
2. A brown melon tendril (see photo)
3. A change in sound when thumped from a metallic ringing sound to a soft hollow sound.
4. A breakup of green bands at the blossom end of the fruit.
5. Development of ribbed indentations that can be felt with finger tips.

awesome..thats the way to answer a question! thank you. all i new bout was the thumpin but i figured if the stem got shriveled i pick it no matter what. its got the yellow spot too.

dieselbeef":jw6qed41 said:
awesome..thats the way to answer a question! thank you. all i new bout was the thumpin but i figured if the stem got shriveled i pick it no matter what. its got the yellow spot too.

Have to admit I got a little help. I knew the thump, but couldn't figure how to describe it. Was aware of the ground spot but had forgotten, and was looking to make sure about the tendril thing. Don't know what #4 is, will have to check that out myself, and was unaware the roughness meant anything. Found all the answers on this site.

http://www.uga.edu/vegetable/watermelon.html

Take a cattle panel and 3 post for 3 hill of cucumbers and let the vines grow up on it instead of on the ground. Pick cucumber standing up not on your knees. Saves space.
Keep onion bulbs in the vegetable compartment in refrigerator you will have some to put out all year for green onions.
Soak your okra seed in butter milk for 12 hours before planting will come up quicker and a better stand.
Soak corn in water for 24 hous will come up in 2 - 3 days

Just a small tip my wife uses. If you put a lot of peas in the freezer every year, just shell them and put them in a pillow case, tie it up with a string and put it right into the freezer.....do not wash, do not clean. The peas will not stick together and will not freezer burn. When you want peas just open the bag, get out the amount you want to cook and put the bag back in the freezer......wash and clean the peas you want to cook at that time.

1982vett":25j6xplk said:
dieselbeef":25j6xplk said:

Have to admit I got a little help. I knew the thump, but couldn't figure how to describe it. Was aware of the ground spot but had forgotten, and was looking to make sure about the tendril thing. Don't know what #4 is, will have to check that out myself, and was unaware the roughness meant anything. Found all the answers on this site.

http://www.uga.edu/vegetable/watermelon.html

just a heads up. i picked it after the stem dried up and broke off and it was solid green inside. hard as a bowling ball.

Latest posts