Games On Horseback...

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
Anyone ever play tag on horseback, or know of any other games?

Tag is great fun for the arena....

Just_a_girl":1yabwa7s said:
Anyone ever play tag on horseback, or know of any other games?

Tag is great fun for the arena....

Sure! Another one along the same lines would be keep away, except use a ribbon (like the Christmas bows with the sticky stuff or something along those lines?), croquet (may have to modify the clubs depending on high tall the horses are), barrel racing (sort of) using a ribbon or baton of some sort and receptacles on the barrels, follow the leader using barrels, poles, and whatever else struck your fancy, I would think it would be fairly easy to modify musical chairs using poles that the riders position themselves by and hold onto, you are limited only by your imagination! Have fun!! :) :)

msscamp had some good ideas. for our gymkhana events we do double barrels and musical horses. we do the dollar race which is bareback and another one that recquires one person to ride forward and another backward, bareback mind you, and the person in back can not touch the horse or the other rider with their hands. who ever stays on the longest wins. and you do it at a walk then trot then lope, whatever order the announcer calls. thre's also the candy(?) race. you pick teams and 1 person from each team goes down at a time and you have someone standing at the other end of the arena with some sort of chewy candy like caramel or something. they person can not go back towards their team until they have chewed and swallowed the candy and the person handing out the candy has verified this. whichever team goes through all of its ppl the fastest wins. it works best with two ppl standing at one end with the candy, one for each team. have fun and be safe.

Thank you for the new ideas....sounds like fun.

A few us got together at a covered arena on a couple of cold rainy days, and we ended up playing tag. We had some people that we didn't even know join in, it was fun. And we made some new friends that we now run into at rodeos or practice. :D

We have several rules when playing tag on horseback so that both horse and rider are safe......can only tag a person by their arm, leg, or hind end of their horse. Can't touch horse's head.

Some pictures I took at the show. This is an open show, not an AQHA sanctioned show.
This is called steer doubing. They only do it in the open shows and it is a hoot to watch. Object is to dab the steer on the back between the withers and the pins. The stick is pvc with a tennis ball on the end, and mustard on it. Timed event, no hazer out of the box. Theory is it teaches the young horse to track a calf and get good and close.
IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

Wilson_Cattle_Company":2d1gnupq said:
Ever play tennis horseback? Its a blast! :D

I have this vision of me trying to do that......and it's funny too. Another good way to learn where your center of balance is. :lol: ;-)

Thanks Avery. I will certainly try that, and I do mean try. I'll have to let you know what the outcome is. :lol:

Was at a playday when I was a kid and there was a game (don't know the name or if it had one) where you had a balloon tied to your belt loop, in the back loop, everyone did, you were all horseback in the arena and the object was to pop everyone elses balloon and be the last one with an unpopped one. Sounds pretty wild and it got that way when balloons started popping and horses were jumping sideways.

My all time favorite was always the rescue race. My brother and I always did good at that one.

Thanks Cert,

I like that. Have a horse that is just starting to learn to track. This will be great, I can't wait to share this info....

So glad you took pictures.....thanks again.

It is great. But not near as easy as it looks, I've tried it. Some horses spook from the stick.
And I've seen riders so intent on doubing that calf that they are tossed into the bull shoots at the far end of the arena. The horse saw the gates and turned but the rider kept going.

Just_a_girl":2jrum67h said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":2jrum67h said:

I have this vision of me trying to do that......and it's funny too. Another good way to learn where your center of balance is. :lol: ;-)

Thanks Avery. I will certainly try that, and I do mean try. I'll have to let you know what the outcome is. :lol:

Its a blast! Its my favorite thing to do horseback next to rodeoin'! It teaches me and the horse to respond quickly. Horses seem to like it. You gotta serve in the air tho. It aint to easy to whap that ball on the dirt and expect it to bounce. ;-) Unless you can bounce it off the horses head between his ears.......never tried that....... now that I think of it....... :D :shock: ahh! I couldn't do that!

I have had my share of wrecks tho. You'll get better at it! 8)

J":3jfhx1ow said:
Was at a playday when I was a kid and there was a game (don't know the name or if it had one) where you had a balloon tied to your belt loop, in the back loop, everyone did, you were all horseback in the arena and the object was to pop everyone elses balloon and be the last one with an unpopped one. Sounds pretty wild and it got that way when balloons started popping and horses were jumping sideways.

My all time favorite was always the rescue race. My brother and I always did good at that one.

Thats sounds like a blast J! I am thinking of some of the reactions I would get from some of the horses I had at one time LOL!

Just_a_girl":1keu3a80 said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":1keu3a80 said:

I'm having a vision that is equally funny, except it's of me trying to play tennis on horseback! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :shock:

Wilson_Cattle_Company":h01sg40m said:
J":h01sg40m said:

Thats sounds like a blast J! I am thinking of some of the reactions I would get from some of the horses I had at one time LOL!

It does sound like a blast, but I'm thinking Legs would have a whole different frame of mind! I'm thinking I would hit the dirt in record time!

msscamp":9bsxcw8c said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":9bsxcw8c said:
J":9bsxcw8c said:

It does sound like a blast, but I'm thinking Legs would have a whole different frame of mind! I'm thinking I would hit the dirt in record time!

:lol: ;-)

LOL

Its twice as fun when all your friends and you get a couple beers in ya and ya get relaxed! Its great to unwind and blow off a little steam with your friends on the weekends. I can remember one weekend we took it a little to far...... I swear we laughed all weekend....til it hurt.... its a blast! I remember the next day my legs were a little sore... I don't advise you to wear wrangler cut offs in the saddle... itll make ur legs raw :shock:

I remember my girlfriend was on the same horse as me I was driving and she was infront on my lap ROFL.....LOL...... I had to make a quick turn and foom>>>>>>right off the side of that horse she went LOL I didn't even have time to reach for her. We laughed and laughed and laughed!!

Everyone should try tennis horseback I can tell you now youll love it!

Latest posts