Galloway calves (06-03-12)

Help Support CattleToday:

Galloways1

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of some of our Galloway calves taken last night.

Calves are right around 3 months of age.

2042_heifer-1_small.jpg

2442_bull_2-_small.jpg

3342_bull-2_small.jpg

They do look like nice calves, but hard to tell for sure under all that HAIR. And that 3rd one in the larger pics, 2442 with the black face and all that wool on him, reminds me of a lamb.

MO_cows":10dvbs0g said:
They do look like nice calves, but hard to tell for sure under all that HAIR. And that 3rd one in the larger pics, 2442 with the black face and all that wool on him, reminds me of a lamb.
They remind me of grizzly bears. :)

3waycross":2a1t8f62 said:
Thanks 3WAY-that's what I wanted them to post like.

They weigh 350-400 lbs. The bulls were 78 and 82 lbs at birth. The heifer was 82 lbs also.

They are all out of 8 yr old cows and out of our herd bull that I have posted on here before.

Thanks for the comments.

FarmGirl10":i07jv0nu said:
MO_cows":i07jv0nu said:
They remind me of grizzly bears. :)

But with a much better temperment :)

Kingfisher":3nn7zloe said:
KNERSIE":3nn7zloe said:
Now I like the first calf!

Should be named " Meatball!"

We may have to. His full sib (heifer) was ultrasounded to be loaded with high quality meat. His sire has an est. lean meat yield of 66.5% and choice.

ALACOWMAN":1jieqc0j said:
i thought they were slicker coated than that...

thats still their fuzzy baby hair, it will transition into a longer, wavy outercoat. These three are out of some pretty traditional looking Galloway cows. Some bloodlines are much slicker, once summer rolls around.

What does the cows look like, the bull didn't exactly stamp a type on these three calves

KNERSIE":3650u5qo said:
What does the cows look like, the bull didn't exactly stamp a type on these three calves
I will post some pics of the cows. I don't have any on this PC to upload. The cows are all a little different in style.

The bull is more consistant as a female maker than a bull maker. His heifers are all pretty similar, regardless of cow style.

Galloways are a maternal breed, so I am OK with that.

KNERSIE":65evlbg0 said:

Here are the pairs:

2442_bull_2-_small.jpg

244_cow.jpg
Dam of bull 2442
2042_heifer-1_small.jpg

204_cow.jpg
Dam of heifer 2042
3342_bull-2_small.jpg

334_cow-2.jpg
Dam of bull 3342