G A R Ashland

Help Support CattleToday:

MLFuller

Reaction score
Thinking about using G A R Ashland this spring. Was wondering if anybody had any calves out of him and what your thoughts were? From an EPD standpoint, everything looks solid across the board except HP and EN.Thank you in advance for any feedback.

AAA Reg #- 18217198

Ambush on the bottom side. Ambush exploded but then really disappeared just as fast. I think they made outstanding feeders but harder doing cows. They still had decent calves and bred back despite their appearance but not ideal to me. The topside I've avoided in the past because I didn't like the look but they seem to have outdone my expectations so they might be ok. You never know but maybe the mating of Daybreak to ambush created something better than both. I think The hp epd should be considered if you are planning on keeping replacements. The photo of Ashland on genex makes him look like he has a deeper flank & better hind quarter than most of the daybreaks. You never know but there's not much risk if you sell them by the pound.

Cdcollett":2upiwo5c said:
Ambush on the bottom side. Ambush exploded but then really disappeared just as fast. I think they made outstanding feeders but harder doing cows. They still had decent calves and bred back despite their appearance but not ideal to me. The topside I've avoided in the past because I didn't like the look but they seem to have outdone my expectations so they might be ok. You never know but maybe the mating of Daybreak to ambush created something better than both. I think The hp epd should be considered if you are planning on keeping replacements. The photo of Ashland on genex makes him look like he has a deeper flank & better hind quarter than most of the daybreaks. You never know but there's not much risk if you sell them by the pound.

We are a small seedstock so we would be looking to keep replacement females and sell bulls. Fortunately we have put together a set of cows that are above average in HP. The thought on using him is we want to use him on our heifers given his calving ease and then added Marbling. We bought a cow this spring that had a Ashland calf that sold separately and it was the highlight of the sale. Calf looked a lot like him. Thick and soggy. Been trying to see if that is consistent across multiple herds. Also been wondering if he is not getting the publicity since he is at Genex instead of ABS or Select.

I don't think so on the genex issue. A 2015 bull with 80% accuracy isn't bad at all. Any one know why Select didn't keep selling his sire Early Bird? If you wanted a high marbling heifer bull he looked to be it.

Till-Hill said:
I'll let you know in March. Used him on custom ai project on 10 or so registered Angus heifers

What's the verdict? I've been searching for calves by Ashland and have come up empty.

It wasnt good but I think there were other issues I think?! 100+# calves were not real thrifty. Talked to Genex and they were shocked have never heard of anything close to that

Latest posts