FYI

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
The yellow jackets are still just as ill as ever in Georgia. Harrowed up a pretty good nest of them today and they still hurt just as bad as I remember. FYI, having a pup follow you on a tractor may not be the best idea given the fact that when the yellow jackets hop on a pup the pup is going to run to daddy and the pup can outrun this old man anyhow even if he is on a tractor. :lol2:

Poor widdle thing......(the pup that is) :lol:

Had two of the biggest bumble bees I've ever seen buzz by me today. I think they would have hurt even if they didn't sting had they run into me.

Jogeephus":gu3gtnuu said:
The yellow jackets are still just as ill as ever in Georgia. Harrowed up a pretty good nest of them today and they still hurt just as bad as I remember. FYI, having a pup follow you on a tractor may not be the best idea given the fact that when the yellow jackets hop on a pup the pup is going to run to daddy and the pup can outrun this old man anyhow even if he is on a tractor. :lol2:

This does not sound like a pleasant experience. :lol:

Katherine

I had a Mcnab that was marked kind of like a skunk one time that would follow me everywhere I went... including the bee yard. (I'm a beekeeper) Bees don't like skunks and a skunk had been pestering that yard. I opened up a big hive and they started popping him. he ran in big frantic circles around me and I was yelling and waiving my arms(not good around bees) at him to get to the truck but he was so confused that he finally just curled up in a ball at my feet. I slammed the hive shut and drug him out of there with both of us getting stung quite excessivly. Beesuits are NOT stingproof.

LOL!!! I hate yellow jackets with a passion, and they are always aggressive in the fall! When I was a kid I mowed my grandparents yard and there was a huge yellow jacket nest in the back yard, we tried everything to get rid of them with no luck. I got mad one day because they were buzzing me while I was trying to mow and I got the bright idea to shove a baseball bat in the hole. Well, the bat wasn't big enough and they came out of there in full force! They chased me all the way through the back yard, into the basement and out the other side, me screaming bloody murder the whole time. My uncle came out of his work shop and hosed them off me, then picked them off of my body and out of my hair after I stripped down. I had a couple of hundred stings, needless to say I was pretty swelled up for awhile! :dunce:

My brother sprayed a nest of them with spray glue.worked pretty good,stuck them to the nest so he could burn it.

Pour about a cup of gas in the hole and that'll cure the problem. I stirred up a nest last week when I mowed through some rotten logs and stumps. Went back the next day to pour gas on it but they were still swarming. I must've busted up the hive with the mower. Luckily was only stung twice.

When I was a kid I was helping my Grandfather cut firewood when the horse stepped in a nest, I still remember that horse kicking at the traces sparks a flying, but he did take off which was a good thing cause he would have probably killed us with the log he was pulling, still can't stand yellow jackets to this day.

I've been on the dozer clearing firelanes around 80 acres of trash trees that I had logged. I have been expecting to "find" several yellowjackets nest. Havn't found one yet but did get stung in the belly by something that was flying. Later the same day I had 2 large wasp fly in the dozer canopy. The 1st flew in front of my fan and was blown out. The 2nd flew too close to the back of the fan and was chewed up and sent flying past my head.

I am sure I will find the yellow jackets nest sooner or later.

I don't really understand why it is you find more yellow jacket nests in the fall of the year. I've been told they split their nests and seperate. Been told they don't always do this and the result is a mega-nest. Here is one I found a few years ago. I probably have posted the pick before but it still amazes me. And yes, it is yellow jackets. I suspect due to the high water table in this swamp they were forced to go up rather than down. Came very close to pushing this tree down with a cabless d8. I doubt I'd be typing this had it happened.

Yellow10copy.jpg

Here is another mega nest that was found near where Grannysoo lives.

yellow.jpg

If you have a nest in the ground and you can find the hole the best way to get rid of yellow jackets is at night. Ease up to the hole while they are all at home and turn a coke bottle full of gasoline in the hole and just leave it or if you want to get a little extreme pull it out and throw a match on it . It will usually get every one of them and with little chance of getting hurt.

Circle H Ranch

We set that one on fire at my grandparents at least a dozen times, never could get rid of them. They actually made a back exit after several burnings. All I can figure is it must have been a huge underground nest.

Cattleman200":182tt687 said:
If you have a nest in the ground and you can find the hole the best way to get rid of yellow jackets is at night. Ease up to the hole while they are all at home and turn a coke bottle full of gasoline in the hole and just leave it or if you want to get a little extreme pull it out and throw a match on it .

I like using the match.

I do so envy you boys down there with the snakes and the fire ants and the yellowjackets. The heating season is approaching here, and I'm not going to complain about cutting some firewood if I can avoid the yellowjackets.

Stocker Steve":233kvptw said:
Cattleman200":233kvptw said:
If you have a nest in the ground and you can find the hole the best way to get rid of yellow jackets is at night. Ease up to the hole while they are all at home and turn a coke bottle full of gasoline in the hole and just leave it or if you want to get a little extreme pull it out and throw a match on it .

I like using the match.

Me too, gives me some sort of satisfaction. My Dad always thought I was a borderline pyromaniac when I was a kid, and he may have been right.

It always amazes me that foxes have a hayday tearing out their nests back in my woods. I don't know how they do it.
My son in law got into a huge nest when he was working on his deer food plot and went back the next day with some gas but a fox had completely dug up and destroyed the nest.

Yeah,was a man killed here not too long ago,and several others taken to the hospital. Not in the same incident.

danl":26plnc9h said:
Stocker Steve":26plnc9h said:
Cattleman200":26plnc9h said:

I like using the match.

Me too, gives me some sort of satisfaction. My Dad always thought I was a borderline pyromaniac when I was a kid, and he may have been right.

It always amazes me that foxes have a hayday tearing out their nests back in my woods. I don't know how they do it.
My son in law got into a huge nest when he was working on his deer food plot and went back the next day with some gas but a fox had completely dug up and destroyed the nest.

Probably skunks, they dig them up and eat them.

Latest posts