funny looking hooves-need info

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
can someone tell me what's up with these hooves? :?
I went with a friend of mine to look at some cattle she was interested in buying and I pointed it out to her, I tried looking it up on the Internet but came up with nothing I told her to wait tell I can ask around first before she commits. they looked long and funny compared to my girls.
any info would be appreciated ;-)
0910071659a.jpg

Usually "Grain Overload" that is associated with "Foundering" manifests itself in the rear feet.

This is Genetic to a degree.

Have seen cases where one foot trim will fix them right up and others with hooves like that will grow back within a few months.

It will take a good "Foot Trimmer" to get those girls back up on their toes to reduce further problems and lameness.

Cattle hooves must grow everyday at exactly the same rate as they get worn off from walking........................

It would be a gamble to buy these animals.

Yeah we have a couple that foundered on freshly fertilized grass but it was only the back feet. They make it ok and raise a good baby but they aren't as bad as the ones in the picture. They usually need a trim about once a year. But I wouldn't buy any that were foundered, unless it was a really good deal. Just my opinion.

Those weak pasterns might have alot to do with the long toes-DON"T BUY THEM. Plenty of decent footed cattle around I can't imagine even offering feet like that as breeding stock.

judgin from thoses other picture's in the gallery im gon say its more genetic. one of those calves looks like a dwarf.. look at the noggin on that rascal ..was there a lot of inbreeding in that herd?

Northern Rancher":3ruby8f2 said:
Those weak pasterns might have alot to do with the long toes-DON"T BUY THEM. Plenty of decent footed cattle around I can't imagine even offering feet like that as breeding stock.

Yes, and they look awfully fineboned too. Both probably have some effect on those feet. I can't imagine them lasting five years.

thank you so much for the feed back!
a few months back when I was looking around for some dexters I came across a few that had the same look and I stayed away.
I do want to mention that I remembered that the ones I was looking at and a couple of these originally came from the same breeder could this be a hereditary problem?
this seller had a couple of calf's that I myself was kinda looking into buying they are off spring of these cows with the funny hooves.
I also noticed and asked about the weight on these cows and was told that the calf's were bringing them down and they need to be separated from them (the calf's are April babies). since I was kinda looking at the calf's they offered us as a package deal. the two cows, one 4-06 heifer, and three 4-07 heifers for 2,700 for all 6 females. they are all registered dexters. but like I mentioned before I wonder if its hereditary if so I don't want to end up with those calves growing up with hooves looking like that. :eek:
they did mention that 1 cow and i think 1 calf is a short legged while the other ones are long legged dexters.
sorry about all the questions!

Dragonfly Acres":1m6h9l6n said:
I do want to mention that I remembered that the ones I was looking at and a couple of these originally came from the same breeder could this be a hereditary problem?

Hereditary=genetics.
Don;t buy them or their offspring

There are too many nice cattle out there to get into a mess like that. As mentioned in the other posts the feet are not the only problem with those cows. Tell your friend to stay away!

Latest posts