Frustrated-what to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We've had 11 heifers calve between 2/9—3/28. While I'd like it to be closer together I'll take it but there are still 6 to go! The other 6 are fairly close but it could still be weeks. I wanted all spring calving here but these laggers are screwing it up. We were going to get our numbers up to 30 head. Should I cull the laggers after they've calved and go with some new on time girls? I was wanting to put a bull with them around early May for 60-75 days but obviously the late calving ones won't get bred. Jerks!

I still have 3 to calve before we're done & we started end of Feb. But I anticipated this because shortly after we turned the bulls out in late May last year the temps skyrocketed to the mid 90's. We essentially had no spring, went straight to summer & bull activity plummeted. I probably won't cull the laggers yet, thinking about selling them as pairs late summer/early fall when the market is (generally) a little better.

tncattle said:
We've had 11 heifers calve between 2/9—3/28. While I'd like it to be closer together I'll take it but there are still 6 to go! The other 6 are fairly close but it could still be weeks. I wanted all spring calving here but these laggers are screwing it up. We were going to get our numbers up to 30 head. Should I cull the laggers after they've calved and go with some new on time girls? I was wanting to put a bull with them around early May for 60-75 days but obviously the late calving ones won't get bred. Jerks!

Sell me the late calving gals and I'll put them in my fall calving group.
:cowboy:

Yep....either go with what you got or make a change....

Since I calve year round it doesn't make much difference until I see a pattern of them being late. then they get fired.

I would put the bull in with all of them for your designated number of days. Ones that don't get bred, you can sell in the fall.
Obviously, you didn't pull your bull last year in your designated 60-75 days??
As mentioned, you can split and have two 60 days calving seasons - spring & fall.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I would put the bull in with all of them for your designated number of days. Ones that don't get bred, you can sell in the fall.
As mentioned, you can split and have two 60 days calving seasons - spring & fall.

x2

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:

He bought them as bred heifers.

Splitting the calving season will be the cheapest route. Selling the late ones in fall as breds, buying back ones that fit your dates, will be 2nd best option.

Latest posts