Frost plug

Help Support CattleToday:

Freeze plugs with a good coat of paint on the outside,, and right mixture of coolant on the inside,,will last for years...should last as long as the engine as dun said

I was just thinking, if it's an iron block and an aluminum plug it should still last 20 years.

dt34715":qm6sicc1 said:
Its the plug that you use 110 volt to heat the liquids.
That's a whole different kettle of fish. They're neoprene and seem to only last about 5-10 yeas

dun":44vdcjgb said:
dt34715":44vdcjgb said:
That's a whole different kettle of fish. They're neoprene and seem to only last about 5-10 yeas

Same hole, different application. Block heaters go in the hole left behind when you remove the frost plug.

Silver":3bot7it5 said:
dun":3bot7it5 said:
dt34715":3bot7it5 said:

Same hole, different application. Block heaters go in the hole left behind when you remove the frost plug.
Correct but rather then being pressed in the neoprene expands as it's tightened. I've retightened some that stopped the light seepage and ruined others by over tightening them.

dun":s2a9jg3e said:
Silver":s2a9jg3e said:
dun":s2a9jg3e said:

Correct but rather then being pressed in the neoprene expands as it's tightened. I've retightened some that stopped the light seepage and ruined others by over tightening them.

I had a frost plug fall out of a 350 chevy in a truck I had once. For no apparent reason. Pretty hard to hammer in a new plug because of where it was situated so I ended up with an extra block heater in my truck. Had it's advantages when it got cold out. :nod:

If you are talking about block heater plugs. I had a MF285 and from 1981 until I sold it in 2015 with 2600 hrs. I replaced the block heater once, but didn't use it much.

My 91 Ford tw5 has two frost plug heaters and they are both original at 5600 hours and from November thru April it is plugged in almost all the time.

as long as they aren't plugged in with no coolant they'll last a really long time.. of course you're going to have other problems if you're that low on coolant anyhow.
the block heater in my truck and all our tractors are original.. so 25 years on the truck, 45 years on the two tractors.. dont' use them a whole lot though

Latest posts