Frog Gigging

Help Support CattleToday:

On a similiar note I went jitter bugging this morning a couple hours before daylight. We caught a couple of nice fish out of a little creek with a canoe. One fish weighed about 3 or 4 pounds. Bass. It was a good time.

ollie":25z6sp9p said:
Nothing much more fun than frog gigging when I was a kid. The smell of a muddy pond still reminds me of wet overalls , boots, no shirt, and a coon hunting light on my head with a gig in hand slipping around the banks of ponds that were full of old big frogs. Frog leggs , mashed potatoes , gravy, biscuits....that is really eating. They don't have any better meal in New York or Paris.

That brought back some good memories ollie. Don't forget the smell of that carbide lamp.

stocky":k01s5yph said:
i use a .22 and shoot them during the day. I shoot facing the frog from the opposite bank and shoot just below the throat and it throws them back up on the bank so they dont go into the water.

Stocky I agree, that's the easiest way. A clean head shot with a .22 will usually lay them up on the bank if you're shooting from across the tank. A gig will reach the ones that fall in. True gigging is for the young energetic crowd – of which I can no longer claim to be a member.

I think we will go gigging again in a few weeks. What is the best size of gig i should use. Is there some that are to small or to big.
Greenwillows wife

I usually use a maglight and red rider bb gun. I dont get them for me to eat, they're bait for something much better. Big ole Channel and Yellow cats out of any river nearby.

I looked around the WEB some trying to find a picture of the big ol bull frogs we used to shoot. I was unable to find one. Can anyone here backup my claim of large as a rabbit? I remember walking across the field holding two or three of them. As I got close to my dad he said where did you get those rabbits. I laughed and he did too when he saw I had three of these monsters.

I have seen some of the big bullfrogs you are talking about. They are about the size of a small cottontail I guess. They are hard to catch around where I'm from. I guess they might weigh a pound and a half or even two maybe. But they do get awful big and they're noisy.

I would also like to see a picture of some of them. I can't beleave how big some of them can get. I sure would like to catch one that size.
Greenwillows Wife

Double J Cattle":325k4ll2 said:
I usually use a maglight and red rider bb gun. I dont get them for me to eat, they're bait for something much better. Big ole Channel and Yellow cats out of any river nearby.

We used to use green sunfish on a circle C hook attached to a bankline. They would live for days unlike bluegill. There weren't enough bullfrogs around if it would have even occurred to me. May was always the month for yellow cat. Now ya'll have me missing the good ol' days.

greenwillow wife , be carefull with a gun and light at night, the game wardens frown pretty bad here in Okla.[ it's against the law ] even for frogs.Also requires hunting or fishing license depending on how and where you're gathering them . I just use a stick bout as long as a shovel handel , sneek up behind them and wham!!! frog legs for dinner man -o- man.

To tell you the truth I don't even know how to shot a gun, so i guess I better not be using one. The boys and I will just use a frog gig attached on to a long stick. Do you still have to have a hunting or fishing license to do it this a way. If any one has any pictures please post them.
Greenwillows Wife

the only thing i ever tried to gig was a flounder. the only thing i successfully gigged was a stingray.

greenwillowherefords":1krchxl2 said:
To tell you the truth I don't even know how to shot a gun, so i guess I better not be using one. The boys and I will just use a frog gig attached on to a long stick. Do you still have to have a hunting or fishing license to do it this a way. If any one has any pictures please post them.
Greenwillows Wife

No pics here, but to answer your question, in MO you have to have a fishing license to harvest frogs.

Is it true you have to have a hunting license if you are hunting for frogs in a farm pond. That cottonmouth gig that it talks about in the previous websight is pretty neat. I don't think i would spend the money on it, to me the adventure of trying to gig one is the best part. I have not found any pictures yet either.
Greenwillows Wife

In MO, you need a fishing license to take frogs with a gig or pole and line. You have to have a hunting license to take them with a 22 or pellet gun.

Thomas and the boys did get a 2 day licence when they went the first time The next time when we all went we went in some ponds and we didn't think we had to have one. I guess we will get one next time, we just didn't know. Have you ever ran upon a snack as you gigged. This is my greatest fear when I am gigging at night around the water.
Greenwillows Wife

greenwillowherefords":3l024691 said:
Is it true you have to have a hunting license if you are hunting for frogs in a farm pond. That cottonmouth gig that it talks about in the previous websight is pretty neat. I don't think i would spend the money on it, to me the adventure of trying to gig one is the best part. I have not found any pictures yet either.
Greenwillows wife
If you use a firearm you need a hunting license,hooks and line,gigs,spears,bow and arrow require a fishing license in Oklahoma.It would be wise to read the regulations before you go esp. out of state could save an embarising situation.Might go a hundred times and never see a game warden but the one time you did, they say ignorance is no exception of the law even for ignorant laws :roll:

greenwillowherefords":1b0jiyxz said:
Greenwillows wife
If you use a firearm you need a hunting license,hooks and line,gigs,spears,bow and arrow require a fishing license in Oklahoma.It would be wise to read the regulations before you go esp. out of state could save an embarising situation.Might go a hundred times and never see a game warden but the one time you did, they say ignorance is no exception of the law even for ignorant laws :roll:

i think thats an old wives tale. running up on a snack never helps anything, just gets your snack all crumbly.

Latest posts