Freezer Beef Summary

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn

Reaction score
I thought I would give you a summary of freezer beef for the year, since we shipped the last batch last week..

31 head total
18 steers
13 heifers

31 head averaged 1259# live, 748# HCW, 3.48 ADG on Full feed, 146 days on full feed
18 Steers averaged 1318# live 777# HCW, 3.83 ADG on full feed, 127 days on full feed
13 Heifers averaged 1178# live, 706# HCW, 2.89 ADG on full feed, 172 days on full feed

All 100% Angus, no implants. They did ok last year was much more consistent. Two small heifers killed our averages..

i did forget about the 4 flex heifers in the deal.. aied them and then after they were open on preg check fed them on self feeder for 60 days or so.. they were on feed since october but not really on full feed. anyway those killed pretty well on dressing percentage.. would reduce the days on feed average.. those 4 were probably the most profitable of the whole group.. in terms of feed consumed vs sale price..

Thanks for this summery. Looks great. I need to try to put something together as well I just been way busy at the office and haven't been able to spend as much time in the beef business. How did the heifers steak look compared to steers any idea?

pretty typical.
the heifers that were on feed as long as the steers had more marbling but smaller ribeyes. i probably fed the heifers too long as well but i just didnt have much of a choice with harvest dates the way they are.

Latest posts