freezer beef price

Help Support CattleToday:

rollinhills":2wkkrqj3 said:
I've got some calves we've been feeding out, we have buyers for them but with prices do what they are I'm not sure what a fair price is. Can you'all give me some input? Thanks
Fair price? 2.15 - 2.90 lb hanging plus processing

currently Market Steers 1.19 - 1.25 live weight
National Boxed Beef Cuts choice carcasses 600-900 lbs $2.25
Select 600-900 lbs a dime lower 2.15

1300 lbs live weight x .615 = 800 lbs hanging
800 x 2.25 = $1800
1800 divided by 1300 = 1.38 lb live weight

currently local Market steers 1.20 live weight with extreme top 1.25
40% of 1.25 is .50 = 1.75 lb
1.75 x 1300 lbs = $2,275
2275 divided by 800 lbs = 2.84 lb

$3.25 hanging = $2.00 live weight
no way in H would I pay $3.25 lb plus processing and consider it fair

I just sold two that I raised and fed for 3.50 a lb straight across. I paid all fees, all they have to do is pick it up. These were fed in my lot for 60 days, grain and hay only, dry lot no grass.

Son of Butch":39io5xb0 said:

There are reports on Cattle Today. Grass fed average was $3.33 last time I looked.

I don't think you can go by sale prices . Those guys selling for that price are working on margin .. you cant drive to a feed lot and buy 1 steer. I think 3.25 to 3.50 hanging weight is fair .. you cant buy single cuts of meat for that cheap ..

The asking price on Craigslist here runs from $2.90 to over $4.00. The majority running around $3.25 with the buyer paying the cut and wrap. That is more than the commodity market price but those dealing in the commodity market aren't having to deal with the public. Dealing with the public should be worth an extra dollar a pound more.

Agreed, Dealing with public can be a real pain in the a** sometimes. My butcher told me a story of someone calling to buy a hog and when he asked for cutting instructions the guy said just make it all into pork chops. He told him he wished it was that easy.

cattle60":1tfzoz0m said:
My butcher told me a story of someone calling to buy a hog and when he asked for cutting instructions the guy said just make it all into pork chops.

LMAO . . . . . . . . .dealing with the public is worth 2 bucks a pound.

I remember my oldest son telling me that next year we should cut the whole deer into backstrap. But he was only 8 years old at the time.
I have had people back out after the steer is hanging. Had one woman show up to pick up the beef and argue about the agreed on price. She said I agreed to the price that she wanted to pay not the price I quoted her. She left without the beef. And I could go on for a long time. About every 5 or 6 years I swear off dealing with the public. And then somehow I get slowly suckered back into it again.
I just put CIDR's in 60 heifers yesterday. I know from experience that there will be at least 5 or 6 open ones at preg check this fall. I have been thinking....... should I sell those fat open heifers as grass fat beef this fall...... Oh gosh, here I go again.

cattle60":3qwqfbjt said:
I just sold two that I raised and fed for 3.50 a lb straight across. I paid all fees, all they have to do is pick it up. These were fed in my lot for 60 days, grain and hay only, dry lot no grass.
3.50 - .65/.70 processing = 2.80 - 2.85 lb hanging
very much in line with 2.15 - 2.90 plus processing which I replied as a fair price to all.
OP question was.... what is FAIR? Not.... what is the MAX record?

JSCATTLE":38j5r608 said:
I don't think you can go by sale prices . Those guys selling for that price are working on margin .. you cant drive to a feed lot and buy 1 steer. I think 3.25 to 3.50 hanging weight is fair .. you cant buy single cuts of meat for that cheap ..
No, but you can drive to the sale barn and buy top quality choice singles, if you want.
I saw a local butcher do it...he took 3 nice steers off the top end for his butcher shop.

Local grocery store had hamburger 81% lean as their lost leader last week for just $2.39 lb
A family could get 10 -15 lbs to put in the freezer for just $23.90 - $35.85 and not have to shell out $800 for 200 lbs of $4 hamburger just to get the good steaks they really desire. Times are tight for many families. The few who will happily pay $8+ lb at top end grocery markets also do so bcs of the convenience of being able to buy a few lbs at a time. I paid $18.40 lb for an extra stinky cheese last week, but I only bought 6 ounces not a whole wheel.

And don't forget.... 600 lbs hanging weight DOES NOT equal 600 lbs take home.
Butcher uses the hot carcass weight as the hanging weight...before it it shrinks from aging, deboning and trim losses.
People who don't understand this have for over 100 years falsely cried out.... the butcher stole my meat!

Stocker Steve":23qtsjg6 said:
Son of Butch":23qtsjg6 said:

There are reports on Cattle Today. Grass fed average was $3.33 last time I looked.
I may be mistaken, but I believe that's the boxed price and not the hot carcass weight price.

I don't sell many -- we butchered three last December -- but I sold my steers for $4.00 a pound hanging weight, including cut and wrap and delivery. It's that price whether you buy a quarter, half, three-quarters or the whole steer. I have a waiting list for this year and wish I had five steers to butcher. It's all in how you market them. I know where my animals came from, how they were raised and what went into them. Buyers appreciate knowing that and are willing to pay a premium for that information.

I'm not looking to save anyone money .. I'm looking to make money .. if a person can't afford to pay for it they are more than welcome to buy chicken ..

JSCATTLE":3jzkpnvx said:
I'm not looking to save anyone money .. I'm looking to make money .. if a person can't afford to pay for it they are more than welcome to buy chicken ..
"Beef It's What's For Dinner" Beef's new slogan "Beef Can't Afford It - Go Buy Chicken" :cowboy:

Anything I need to know about selling by the piece? Visited a USDA inspected slaughterhouse. They said print up my labels, bring the steer in, it's inspected and then when I pick up I should be good to go. They do it for other folks, but I don't know if I'm missing something or not. Might be more liability like this, and there are probably a lot of cuts people don't want.

I know that selling by the half is a lot easier, don't know how this is going to work out until I try and I want to know all my options.