Freeze Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

Anguscattle

Reaction score
I know freeze branding works best when cattle are younger bc the hide isnt as thick and tough and the brand will grow with the animal like it should. My question is: At what age do y'all freeze brand exactly? Or when is the soonest. In recent years we waited til they were 8+ months old, but i would like a little better results. Thanks!

Anguscattle":9itxf6wx said:
I know freeze branding works best when cattle are younger bc the hide isnt as thick and tough and the brand will grow with the animal like it should. My question is: At what age do y'all freeze brand exactly? Or when is the soonest. In recent years we waited til they were 8+ months old, but i would like a little better results. Thanks!

If you want great freeze brands get em @ less than 3 months. The calves I hit young like that came out perfect.

The older cows barely took and some of them were branded almost twice as long as it called for

We freeze brand at weaning, which will vary from 5 to 7 months depending on time of year and conditions. I agree with 3waycross, we branded some young, black recip cows, and they didnt turn out very well, and we did the same leaving the brand on longer than normal.

Ryan

We freeze brand our cattle as yearlings, the bulls because the customers really seem to like it and the heifers for ease of id in the big pastures we breed in. 2 minutes with a 3/8 copper iron cooled with dry ice and 99% iso alcohol works great for us, we have a good crew with a set system using two chutes we can get 100 head done in one day if we really hustle. Took a few years to get it right and to get away from the liquid nitrogen cooling system, also it really helps to get a good close shave and clean the area with a stiff brush and alcohol just before the irons go on to get the best possible transfer.

429421blkangus":je7mabhn said:
We freeze brand our cattle as yearlings... 2 minutes with a 3/8 copper iron cooled with dry ice and 99% iso alcohol works great for us....

How tall are the irons you use on yearlings so that they look normal on a mature cow? We need to brand our replacement heifers and yearling bulls but the irons are expensive enough that I'd like to get the right size the first time.

Thanks!

Our neighbor had some cattle stolen. We're considering it too. But here, we have to have a hot brand. So I want to do both. I'm going to get an electric hot brander.

Where do you get the freeze branding numbers?

Someone said to do one then the other over the top. I can't recall which it was, but I hope to find that post.

Foxx said:
Our neighbor had some cattle stolen. We're considering it too. But here, we have to have a hot brand. So I want to do both. I'm going to get an electric hot brander.

Where do you get the freeze branding numbers?

Someone said to do one then the other over the top. I can't recall which it was, but I hope to find that post.[/quote]

I don't think anyone EVER said that!!!....and i wouldn't even think about doing it. you will make a mess

I don't recall who did say it, but definitely it was said to me.

It may have been my neighbor who seems to always try and do innovative things. Whoever it was that said it, said it worked great. I would imagine they might have to be done in two steps over a month or so period of time.

Latest posts