Freeze Branding Irons

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeereboy

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a number set of freeze branding irons, and was wondering where I could find a set on the internet.

How much did you or do you pay for your branding irons?

johndeereboy":16gelzh6 said:
I am looking to buy a number set of freeze branding irons, and was wondering where I could find a set on the internet.

How much did you or do you pay for your branding irons?

We just got our holding brand to use for freeze branding from L & H Branding Iorns. Here is their website:

http://www.lhbrandingirons.com/

It cost around $109 with shipping. The number brands are much less in price. Check out their website.

L&H is about the best we have found. Make sure and get the 9/16 inch irons instead of the 3/8 inch. More surface area of the number on the cow makes a big difference on the outcome of your brand.

The L&H electric branding irons work great for us. We have used them for years. I have been curious about freeze branding. Is an animal likely to move when the brand is first applied (like with a hot brand) or do they stay relatively still? Also, will the contents come out of a semen tank if you try to pour some out to use for freeze branding?

bullpeddler":2wju7hrr said:
Is an animal likely to move when the brand is first applied (like with a hot brand) or do they stay relatively still?

They hold relatively still, for the most part. different animals move more than others. the 8 - 12 second checkmark is usually when you have to be the most careful. If they jump and you dont think you can hold it in the same spot, its best to pull the brand off, and place it back down in the exact same spot. We haven't had too much trouble doing the brandings, with them jumping. The big downfall is how long it takes compared to hot branding. You have to shave the spot on the animal, clean it with alcohol, and then hold the brand for atleast 30 seconds if you are using liquid nitrogen, and longer if you use dry ice.

Ryan

Latest posts