Free hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Here in north central Nebraska, native grass hay is bringing $100/ton sitting in the field for some and some delivered, kind of varies. last years hay is from $90-95/ton. Hate to pay that but the hay supply is dwindling quickly and not in a position to sell the cows. dont really have much choice. this summer we got 600 bales, usually get 2500 bales.

I bought 175 bales of native grass here in N/C Kansas. Paid $65 a ton delivered. I also bought 30 bales of native from a guy and only paid $45 a ton but I had to go get it.

We get anywhere from $120-$130 a ton for big squares at our doorstep. Who knows how much those boys are paying for trucking. I heard somewhere that it would cost them around $175 a ton in total. That is for our hay that has an RFV of almost 200. I think it was 194. I think its only going to go up since the winter has just begun. That or the boys down south are going to have to teach them cows not to eat.

Not paying anything. People around here are asking 60 to 80 for sudan, 65 to 100 for coastal. I taked to a guy that said he priced some at 210/ton. I found some cheap alfalfa for 150.

The 3 loads we got this year between July and Oct cost us $100 for ~ 1500# 5 x 6 round bale of bermudagrass hay from a local supplier delivered. The hay tested ~ 12% protein and is horse quality--only type bermuda sold around here. I'd hate to think what we'd have to pay for this type of hay trucked in from distant producer. Should have enough to last us until 1st cutting in 2007.

Also since there is a lot of dormant pasture grass & CRP pasture in our area (along with winds and occasional pasture fire) we insured our round bales stored outside. Small squares in barn insured also.

the hay prices around here are $55 to $100 a bale delivered an picked up.some soy bean hay for $140 a ton.alalfa is $100 or more a bale for the big square bales.i dont intend on buying any till i have to.

bigbull338":1zze2ogb said:
the hay prices around here are $55 to $100 a bale delivered an picked up.some soy bean hay for $140 a ton.alalfa is $100 or more a bale for the big square bales.i dont intend on buying any till i have to.

Yup, but most round bales are only a 1/2 ton.

Latest posts