Free choice minerals?

Help Support CattleToday:

Gliderider

Reaction score
I've heard mentioned here about free choice minerals, well any minerals really. What types of minerals do you feed? Are there certain requirements for certain areas and certain cattle? If so what would you recommend for my area? (Northern NC) Which ones do you feed free choice and which ones do you dole out when needed? We are buying Scottish Highlands. :) TIA

Gliderider":12nswh60 said:
I've heard mentioned here about free choice minerals, well any minerals really. What types of minerals do you feed? Are there certain requirements for certain areas and certain cattle? If so what would you recommend for my area? (Northern NC) Which ones do you feed free choice and which ones do you dole out when needed? We are buying Scottish Highlands. :) TIA

All minerals should be fed free choice. As for what your area requires, I would call my local county extension office and see what they recommend as they are familiar with any deficiencies in your area and could give you some excellent advice as to what type of formulation you need. Mineral formulation is not based on breed of cattle, they are generally formulated based on region and whether that region or area is deficient in copper, magnesium, etc., and what the goals are for those cattle.

msscamp":34mrbig0 said:
Gliderider":34mrbig0 said:

All minerals should be fed free choice. As for what your area requires, I would call my local county extension office and see what they recommend as they are familiar with any deficiencies in your area and could give you some excellent advice as to what type of formulation you need. Mineral formulation is not based on breed of cattle, they are generally formulated based on region and whether that region or area is deficient in copper, magnesium, etc., and what the goals are for those cattle.

Agree with Msscamp...extension agent will come out and look over you pastures with you and help you decide. Even within same region your needs can vary from farm to farm. We have a lot of fescue so we use a mineral with higher amounts of magnesium, but neighbor has hardly no fescue so he does not use the mineral with the higher Magnesium in it.

msscamp and aplus are right on the mark. Another thing to consider is to have a soil test. Although it may sound weird, at about $7 a piece, they can save you a bundle. Your same extension agent can tell you how to get your soil tested. Ours collects the samples and the fees and sends them to LSU to be tested. We get back a report telling what type of soil it is, what grasses will grow best, the ph of the soil, and how much and what type of fertilizer is needed.

Latest posts