Franklin Nash

Help Support CattleToday:

I would like to thank all those who sent memorial checks to the memorial scholarship fund. With some that went in yesterday, there is over $2000.00 donated at the Tea alone. It will help send another ag. student to college. Thanks!!

Pull one bull today and snapped a few photos for your opinions. The bull is D Advance 304. He is a 7 year old bull that has been out with cows since June 1st.
2010_Sept_304_Doc_3JPG_X.JPG

2010_Sept_50_and_bull_calf.JPG

A five year old Adv. Red 11 daughter with a V4 Advance bull calf

2010_Sept_405_and_bull_calf.JPG

A six year old cow sired by D Advance 71 with a Golden Advance 550 bull calf

2010_Sept_311_and_calf.JPG

A seven year old Adv 84 daughter with Golden Advance 550 daughter

2010_Sept_223_and_bull_calf.JPG

A eight year old Adv 91 daughter with Golden Advance 550 bull calf

2010_Sept_017_and_heifer_calf.JPG

An ten year old cow by D Advance 720 with her FIRST HEIFER CALF EVER, by Golden Advance 550

2010_Sept_021_and_calf.JPG

Another 10 year old daughter of D Advance 62 with a V4 Advance bull calf

Nice pictures. Looks like they withstood the summer heat well.

I found an advertisement in a 1989 herd bull addition with a photo of Arrow Misch. This pictured bull (D Advance 668) sure looks like him.

I found an advertisement in a 1989 herd bull addition with a photo of Arrow Misch. This pictured bull (D Advance 668) sure looks like him.

He really does. This 668 is a 1/2 brother of the last ten year old cow's calf. We have our eye on him for our future use(the V4 calf). What do you all think? His mother has been a good old cow who has produced a lot of good bulls.

It is great to see 668 look so good. Also, wish our country looked as lush. We have been really dry and are totally cured out.

Hey. I'm back.
Sassy3.jpg
I was cleaning out some paperwork at Mom's and ran across this picture in a pile of check stubs and such. Anyway, I think this is "THE PHOTO" that was discussed previously of Sassy as a two year old.

So here you go and enjoy. I know I will, it's going up on my wall. Finders keepers and all that.

caprock":fmegf517 said:
Hey. I'm back.
Sassy3.jpg
I was cleaning out some paperwork at Mom's and ran across this picture in a pile of check stubs and such. Anyway, I think this is "THE PHOTO" that was discussed previously of Sassy as a two year old.

So here you go and enjoy. I know I will, it's going up on my wall. Finders keepers and all that.

That ain't him Julie !!

Dads writing on the back says "Sassy" So,this is likely Sassy II, a Sassy son out of an Arrow daughter. His name was ADV Y152 born 5-18-88. This is a three year old picture-you grumpy OLD, OLD man. Happy Birthday!!! AND I will retain the copy of it I made for you. :lol2: :banana: :banana: :banana:

PS I had some expert help on the research. Seriously Happy Birthday!!!

Hello. Funny how a whim can lead you places. I was not able to sleep.. thinking of some of the folks I knew of growing up and just happened to google Franklin Nash.

First off, let me offer my condolences for your recent loss. I lost my wife a few years back, not quite over it yet.

I went to school with Clint.. up till Franklin shipped him over to the Abby School to get a better education. I remember the little lot you all had just north of Canon.. used to look at the herefords there.. never quite knowing much then. I reckon my brains didn't really come in till my late 20s or so. Never did realize what I grew up around.. wasn't till I was older that I found out just the caliber of Ranchers and breeders we had in the area. One of those hindsight things.. could have learned something but instead I threw in with the rodeo bunch and wasted most of that time being a professional idiot. Only decent thing I did was judge livestock some and learn a bit from Wayne Collete.

Later went to college with Dick Davis's son Kip.. got to know Dick a little.. another good cattleman. I still recall saying I was from Canon City.. and Kip saying.. wow.. you are from Franklin Nash's home town. Yeah.. not the prison town, not the Royal Gorge town.. but Franklin Nash's home town.

He was indeed the very definition of Cattleman. I'm glad to see he isn't forgotten.

Oh.. wanted to add.. regarding some of the rough country cattle around Canon. I worked on Nelson Taylors place one summer.. his BLM piece by Texas Creek. He had some wild old shorthorn cross roanie moms back there that were like deer.. 2-3 year old slicks with em that had never been gathered. This was the early 70s. And.. I remember Bob Dilly. This thread brought back a ton of memories.. thanks for all the pictures. Wish I could upload some I have in a very old book I own called Fremont County Ranchers and Cattlemen.. kind of a who's who of the old families.

Wow! What a surprise to hear from someone that knew Dad and shared some of your thoughts with us. I know, that when the rest of the family read your post, they will be thrilled also. Your thoughts brought back some memories for me, as well. The little piece of land north of town that you wrote about was our 4-H project pens. Dad told us that if we were going to be in 4-H, we would have to do the work on the steers. He put us on a schedule and was determined that we stuck to it. We would roll out of bed at 5:45 am and head for the corral and have those steers fed at 6:00 on the dot. He usually had a few of his good herd bull prospects there, for us to feed, also. We would head back to a great breakfast and were off to school. In the afternoons, we would head up to the corrals and work on the steers for about an hour and feed them at 6:00 on the dot! There was a older gentleman, who had a pen with a few cows in it, across the road from our pens. He was usually feeding in the evenings, when we were working on our steers. Mom always said that when she would meet him on the street, she was embarrassed. She said that she knew how we bickered back and forth and knew the type of language that we were capable of using. She said, I know that he has heard it all:) Later his niece told me that he would time his feeding time around ours, just so that he could listen to the fun that we were having. She added, "It just amazed him, that Franklin would have his kids on such a schedule and have them stick to it without his being with them".

Well, Pardon for the continued cluttering of a breed board with dredged up memories.

Gonna take a sec to embarrass the dickens out of Clint. We moved from the other side of Canon out to Orchard Park when I was about to start 5th grade. Now.. over the many years memories have blurred tremendously.. but I guess he always stands out. He was a big, impressive kid who did everything pretty darn good.. ya know.. the first to get picked for Kickball or whatever we did.

Kids being kids.. as the new fellow I was kinda picked on. Clint didn't tolerate that kind of stuff and kinda eased me in. He didn't care for bullying, leaving people out, being snotty or any of that stuff. I guess its an indication of how you all got raised.. I only had 3-4 grades with Clint but.. he always stuck out and I always remember him.

I think it was 7th grade or so.. he handed me the first Louis LAmour book I ever read. Hate to think how many I read after.

Small towns being what they are, after he moved over to the Abby I lost track of em. Never forgot tho. Like I said, it was many years later that I really found out who Franklin really was and the contributions he had made to the Breed. My first recollections of the Nash family will always be that nice kid who stood his own ground and did what he thought was fair and right.

Well enough of that. You all take care. I'm glad to see two legacies moving forward.. the Kansas Nash bred herd.. and the Nash family traditions. Got a lot to be proud of there.

JR,

I'm proud to tell you that my big brother is currently the most honest and upstanding person I know. If you don't want to heart the truth he is definitely not the person you want to be talking to. It's a great legacy from Dad and one of those things where not changing is a good thing.
Julie

JR Grant":3uy81r3p said:
Well, Pardon for the continued cluttering of a breed board with dredged up memories.

Gonna take a sec to embarrass the dickens out of Clint. We moved from the other side of Canon out to Orchard Park when I was about to start 5th grade. Now.. over the many years memories have blurred tremendously.. but I guess he always stands out. He was a big, impressive kid who did everything pretty darn good.. ya know.. the first to get picked for Kickball or whatever we did.

Kids being kids.. as the new fellow I was kinda picked on. Clint didn't tolerate that kind of stuff and kinda eased me in. He didn't care for bullying, leaving people out, being snotty or any of that stuff. I guess its an indication of how you all got raised.. I only had 3-4 grades with Clint but.. he always stuck out and I always remember him.

I think it was 7th grade or so.. he handed me the first Louis LAmour book I ever read. Hate to think how many I read after.

Small towns being what they are, after he moved over to the Abby I lost track of em. Never forgot tho. Like I said, it was many years later that I really found out who Franklin really was and the contributions he had made to the Breed. My first recollections of the Nash family will always be that nice kid who stood his own ground and did what he thought was fair and right.

Well enough of that. You all take care. I'm glad to see two legacies moving forward.. the Kansas Nash bred herd.. and the Nash family traditions. Got a lot to be proud of there.

Hello JR. I'm sorry but you are going to have to jog my memory. Memory is not good and being almost 45 yrs ago, I am not recalling what I should. Anyway maybe you can give me a first name. I am really sorry to hear about your wife, and thanks for the compliments. You are correct though, those kids who were always bullying someone else in school really aggravated me.

40-4171":3e59k91q said:
Hello JR. I'm sorry but you are going to have to jog my memory. Memory is not good and being almost 45 yrs ago, I am not recalling what I should. Anyway maybe you can give me a first name. I am really sorry to hear about your wife, and thanks for the compliments. You are correct though, those kids who were always bullying someone else in school really aggravated me.

Didn't Reckon you would recall. John Robert Grant. Unfortunately.. I'm probably more remembered by the Fremont County Sheriffs Dept. I left Canon in 76 and it took a few years to remake myself. Had to get out of the Rodeo crowd. Kicked around Baca County for many years, processed cattle, day cowboyed.. heck one summer I spent building fence for Dick Davis's dad over at Blanco Basin.

Ended up working for Tim McQuay (the reiner) and then on to training show horses and judging. Crippled up with RA now, just raising my boys for a livin.

Anyways.. enough on that. Again, take care.

It was a good day! We walked a group of cows 2 miles, to bring them home from summering on the leased pasture. We had weaned their calves a couple of weeks ago.

2010_nov_bring_cows_home_1.JPG

On the same day, we received our heifers that had been in Colorado since May. Great to have everything closer to home for the winter

2010_Nov_Heifers_home_from_Colo_1.JPG

2010_Nov_Heifers_home_from_Colo_2.JPG

The cattle look great. I think they had smiles on their faces. It looks like you must still be pretty dry down there but it is nice to see terrain that isn't white. How about some pictures of their weaned calves?

Latest posts