Franklin Nash

Help Support CattleToday:

40-4171

Reaction score
I am Clint Nash.

I have never desired to post on the breeds board. That changed when Idaman posted comments of his perception of my Father, Franklin Nash.

First let me say, I could be misinterpreting Idaman's comments. There is a rule in advertising that says "The message you send is not what you think, but what is received". That could apply in cases here.

Idaman stated he and Franklin has a falling out over one of Franklin's friends he knew as a complete cow thief. A man once said the Dad was the only truly honest man he had ever known. I have known two in my life. Dad was one. A man can have complete integrity and misjudge character in others. We have all been there. I take your statement as building yourself by questioning Dad's integrity for misjudging character in someone else. Unprofessional!!

Idaman referred to the Nash cattle is being well known for their killer disposition. Yes, we had the tough individuals but only a small percentage. Much of it due to the environment they ran in and being handled as little as possible. What is one's undesirable trait can be another's desirable. Dad had customers now and then who purchased bulls to put some energy in their cow herd. Stated their cows were too gentle making it quite difficult to drive them or work them. Idaman stated introduction of the Arrow solved the attitude problem. The Arrow was a very smart, gentle bull, but was not the solution. My Sister Julie already explained the solution. Calving heifers at 2 yrs rather than 3 and walking through them daily. When calving at 3 we never saw a first calf heifer calve.

Idaman stated he could tell AB Mischief 86 was a killer just by looking at him. He's either much better at reading attitude than I am or scared of all of them. I was around, fed, moved, and handled 86 most of his life. He never exhibited any killer or remotely wild characteristic. When Miller and Martensen purchased an interest and took him to Hayden, they touched him off. Dad was very displeased. Took him home and never let him leave the place again. Back home he was the same bull as before he went to Hayden. Idaman's story on Dad sneaking in the pen, touching him, and getting out fast is just humorous. I was not there. My Mother was and told me the story years ago. I still remember. It sure did not match Idaman's story. Dad was one of those people who do not recognize danger and therefore had no fear of ANYTHING!! His best friend in the Coastwatchers in WWII, Doug Otten from Australia was quoted in a magazine article years after the war, "Frank Nash is the bravest man I have ever met or am likely to ever meet".

Idaman states that his Christianity was a thorn in Franklin's side. I class that statement as ludicrous. Most of the people I know are Christians or think they are. Dad never attended Church or practiced religion but still was more Christian than 99.9% of the self proclaimed Christians I know. He proved it through his integrity, genuine interest and care for others, extremely generous heart, and assisting those who were willing to make an effort. I heard him say once that anyone who survived combat and said they did not believe in God was a ~%# liar. Dad was intensely idealistic and patriotic. That is why he joined right after Pearl Harbor and got himself assigned to the Coastwatchers—Something no other American was able to do. Freedom of speech, politics, right to bear arms, and yes religion were all most important to him. He was not much concerned what people did on Sunday, but certainly interested in how they conducted themselves the other six days of the week.

If Idaman had spent 26 months behind enemy lines in the Solomon's with usually one or two other coastwatchers and a few friendly natives, but sometimes with just the natives, capturing Japanese to extract intelligence, staging guerilla warfare, rescuing pilots and sailors, and killing numerous of the enemy, he probably would not sleep too well in a strange bed either. Idaman, you also downplay the risk Dad experienced in WWII. Dad was a true war hero decorated and commendated. To my knowledge, he never spoke to anyone about the tough stuff he was involved in, a close friend in the war did. He talked about the natives, what they ate, the environment—only generalities. One of his commendations state "Led many information gathering patrols and prosecuted guerilla warfare against the Japanese with great determination and success, killing and capturing numbers of the enemy". Sounds like plenty of risk and danger to me!! Dad never marched in a VFW function or used a VA hospital. Always, said my country owes me nothing. It is our duty to serve when needed.

Idaman, his military record is in the archives. Look it up!!

I could respond to other comments posted by Idaman, but you get the picture!!

I realize this post has strayed from the subject of cattle, but I didn't start this and since Dad is no longer here to respond, I needed to set the record straight!!

Welcome to CT, Clint. Thanks for providing your perspective.

Often, when people are recollecting things that happened years ago, there will be differences in perception. Sometimes you can to get two different versions of an accident, immediately after it happened, from two different people who watched from two different places.

I think that's what has happened here. I know my perceptions of my own father also differ from what others have shared with me since his passing.

My father wasn't that much of a storyteller but his older brother, my uncle and my namesake, was. My uncle was voracious in his stories about their growing up in West Texas - and I seldom can remember a visit between my uncle's and my families, after parting, that Daddy would simply say "George just doesn't remember things the same way that I do!"

Thanks to Idaman, I've gotten to know your father, Franklin Nash, much better than through the few stories that I had heard about him and his cattle over the years. Because of him, I've had the opportunity to also see your posts and those of two of your sisters here.

For me, it's been a real privilege to read them all.

George

Herefords.US":24cjok10 said:
Welcome to CT, Clint. Thanks for providing your perspective.

Often, when people are recollecting things that happened years ago, there will be differences in perception. Sometimes you can to get two different versions of an accident, immediately after it happened, from two different people who watched from two different places.

George

Truer words were never spoken. I have listened to my Aunt tell a story about growing up on the Ranch near Trinidad and had my father look at me after hearing the story and say" Sometimes I think she grew up in a different family than I did" :nod:

Clint
Welcome to CT. I am sure we will appreciate your perspective as much as we have that of Idaman.

Dad was a great man, I measure many against him (I know that's not a good thing to do) and all have come up short. I do know that Dad never held a person's politics or religion against them. Dogma and and the individual were never confused. This is a lesson that he made very clear to us. He was always interested in other people beliefs, customs/culture and why they believed them. I could see how this could be construed as him being intolerant-especially if you were the one being questioned. The questions asked were usually difficult and could be soul shaking. BUT REALLY, it was all about gaining better understanding to him.

Anyway enough soap box. It occurs to me that the Franklin Nash Memorial Scholarship fund could use some funds. So far we have helped send about five great kids to college with $1500 to $2000 each. The stipulation is that the recipient must be from an agricultural background. They can study anything they want. So, I'm going to get my checkbook out and send a few $$ to the:

Franklin Nash Memorial Scholarship, Fremont County Extension Service, 615 Macon Ave. Canon City, CO 81212. Hope to see you all do the same OR start something similar in your neck of the woods.

Dad told me: "You're going to college-I don't care if you learn a !#$% thing-but you need to find out that not every one in the world thinks the way you do."

Well said, Clint. Don't all of you who read CT hope that when the time comes, that your kids will defend you in this way? And, aren't you glad that the two other sisters haven't been told about CT:)

About the bull, O86, that Clint writes about and was pictured by someone on the boards. When he was around10 years old ( that is a guess, as I remember the photo being taken by Gary McDonald when the bull was eight years old ), he got sick. Dad took him to the vet in Canon City. He ended up leaving his care to us kids at our little acreage North of town, where we kept our 4-H show steers. The bull had steadily gone down hill. One day, I said to Dad that something needs to be done, as he just isn't getting any better. Dad gave me that look, that said it is being taken care of. When we went to feed steers that night, the bull was gone, and not a word was said about it. I asked Mom what Dad had done with O86. She replied that Dad had taken him home, to the ranch, and put him out of his misery. "We all had better tread lightly for a few days", she added. True to his word, Dad saw to it that the bull never again left the place. The bull left a lot of really beautiful daughters, that Dad was proud of.

1914 Hereford":cm0bt84y said:
Well said, Clint. Don't all of you who read CT hope that when the time comes, that your kids will defend you in this way? And, aren't you glad that the two other sisters haven't been told about CT:)

About the bull, O86, that Clint writes about and was pictured by someone on the boards. When he was around10 years old ( that is a guess, as I remember the photo being taken by Gary McDonald when the bull was eight years old ), he got sick. Dad took him to the vet in Canon City. He ended up leaving his care to us kids at our little acreage North of town, where we kept our 4-H show steers. The bull had steadily gone down hill. One day, I said to Dad that something needs to be done, as he just isn't getting any better. Dad gave me that look, that said it is being taken care of. When we went to feed steers that night, the bull was gone, and not a word was said about it. I asked Mom what Dad had done with O86. She replied that Dad had taken him home, to the ranch, and put him out of his misery. "We all had better tread lightly for a few days", she added. True to his word, Dad saw to it that the bull never again left the place. The bull left a lot of really beautiful daughters, that Dad was proud of.

I had told Franklin the same thing and offered to do the deed for him. He declined but asked me to get a loader and load the bull for him into his old power wagon. I borrowed an industrial loader from Tom McCrory and arrived right after Franklin had done the deed. He put the chain on and I lifted the bull into the wagon. Backing up I accidently hit one of his prize feed bunks bending a leg on it. I have felt bad for years to have bent that leg, Franklin never said a word to me. I started down the street to take the loader back when Franklin passed me he was crying like a baby.

caprock":1ouzqncu said:
Big man REALLY BIG HEART.

Right. Big enough to accept me even though I came as a package that was full of the dickens about practical jokes.

Even in the fear of being taken wrong I must tell one more story or maybe several.

You must remember that for ten years he and I traveled together and on those long trips into Wyoming, Nebraska or wherever he wasn't exactly silent. Sometimes our wives would go along and others not.

Franklin actually loved my practical jokes as long as they weren't on him. He would just about break down laughing when I would tell him of a potential joke. When I got to the point of pulling it off he would stand there with this sheepish grin on his face and the closer I got to the punch line the bigger the grin got. Several times he would burst out laughing and the whole thing would go down. The bad part was that the targets got more suspicious and our favorite plans just didn't work on them as well, causing me to have to go back to the drawing board.

Our favorite targets were the Ks from Westcliffe. They were just self centered enough and arrogant enough to fall for it every time. Most of the time they never recognized what had happened and Franklin and I would have to rush out of sight before we broke down laughing. There was also always a man from I believe Eaton that supposedly raised good club calves. He was always drunk, loud, and wore a leather stetson. We could get him every time. One time in the stockyards in Denver he got really mad and began to holler. Franklin and I left him and started back toward the exchange. He continued to holler insults as we departed. Franklin simply hollered back just as loud. The issue between them that time as well as whenever we saw him was Franklins' position on drinking. Franklin was one of two of the most moral men I have known. The other being Jack Koster from BC. Neither man touched alcohol or in the slightest way showed any interest in infidelity.

Your totally right, drinking was verboten in our house. So was smoking, drugs and promiscuity. I think about this a lot today (my husband's family are in America courtesy of Hitler and Stalin-and subsequently the whole upheaval has been "dealt" with using alcohol). It's a mess on top of a mess. Our lives are so much simpler.

Anyway, Dad was about truth and its really hard to be truthful when your smashed.

You know I look at life and I think, "gee I don't remember pulling a lever at conception to choose these parents and growing up in this lifestyle-but man am I lucky". My husband tells me that as a child, he never believed his parents!! I can't imagine not totally believing mine. They didn't have to tell us what was right and wrong-they lead by example. There wasn't any do as I say-it was "do as I do-or don't"

Now since were all mushy gushy, I was thinking that this is a Cattle forum and it would be fun to tell a few Frank Cow Tales.

One that I remember was when I was in grade school. Dad had moved some cows out of a pasture and missed one. You know how sometimes they get crazy when they are alone-so this one went a little/lot nuts. It was also before we stared walking through them and getting them calmer. When he took his buckskin horse down to get this loner she went pretty crazy and ended up poking the horse in the side. This really got him going-This was a really special horse. So we all went home and waited for the horse to heal up. In the meantime, someone told us (don't remember who) that if you tie a wild one to a tree you can train them to lead right into a trailer after a few days.
Hmmmm... interesting.

A few weeks later, the horse was healed the cow was roped and a nice pine tree in the creek was chosen for the experiment-the critter had to have water-thus only this tree would do. Mom and I sat in the truck watching this "dance" of cow on one side of tree and Dad on the other. Around they went for a few minutes. My Mom's disgust was palpable- ""he's gonna kill himself he's gonna trip on a rock and kill himself". I thought he was pretty agile dodging around that tree and getting the rope just right-and he took his time. So here the cow stayed for a couple of days-we'd drive by and see how her "training" was progressing and Dad would toss her a flake of hay.

Finally, it was decided that she was "trained" so the neighbors were called with a trailer (we were truck people) and she was untied (same dance in reverse). It was at this point that everyone learned that cows don't learn to lead by being tied to trees. So they never did get her in the trailer and ended up chaining her to the pickup to lead/drag her up the road. Mom and I left at this point in the entertainment and went home to prepare food for our intrepid cow trainers. About an hour later, we see the pick up and cow coming up the road (this all started about a mile and a half from the house). We trained our binoculars on the sight and there was definitely no leading happening but a lot of dragging, stop let her get up, pull etc. Slow going. Anyway this loner finally made it to where she was supposed to be worse for wear. I don't know how she acted on the next adventure.

Every time I drive by that tree I snicker and see him on one side and this POed cow on the other.

Later.

Finally decided that she was ready to lead

40-4171":3tzld8l9 said:
I am Clint Nash.

Idaman referred to the Nash cattle is being well known for their killer disposition. Yes, we had the tough individuals but only a small percentage. Much of it due to the environment they ran in and being handled as little as possible. What is one's undesirable trait can be another's desirable. Dad had customers now and then who purchased bulls to put some energy in their cow herd. Stated their cows were too gentle making it quite difficult to drive them or work them. Idaman stated introduction of the Arrow solved the attitude problem. The Arrow was a very smart, gentle bull, but was not the solution. My Sister Julie already explained the solution. Calving heifers at 2 yrs rather than 3 and walking through them daily. When calving at 3 we never saw a first calf heifer callve

In regard to the record. I am having some trouble reconciling this assertion with the fact that his young bulls were always penned up at the Open Box or Grandmas' house and Franklin walked through them every day to feed them grain. Thus they should have been docile but they weren't necessarily. I could relate the story about a young one clearing the sale ring in Salida at a spring bull sale. I will hold that one though. I am sure that calving two year olds helped as it did for all of us and that takes care of the untouched females but what about the certainly experienced young bulls. You also forget that one, 110, pinned me to a gate and he was no heifer. So I know face to face and up front their capabilities.

Idaman":38a3yi9t said:
40-4171":38a3yi9t said:
I am Clint Nash.

Idaman referred to the Nash cattle is being well known for their killer disposition. Yes, we had the tough individuals but only a small percentage. Much of it due to the environment they ran in and being handled as little as possible. What is one's undesirable trait can be another's desirable. Dad had customers now and then who purchased bulls to put some energy in their cow herd. Stated their cows were too gentle making it quite difficult to drive them or work them. Idaman stated introduction of the Arrow solved the attitude problem. The Arrow was a very smart, gentle bull, but was not the solution. My Sister Julie already explained the solution. Calving heifers at 2 yrs rather than 3 and walking through them daily. When calving at 3 we never saw a first calf heifer callve

In regard to the record. I am having some trouble reconciling this assertion with the fact that his young bulls were always penned up at the Open Box or Grandmas' house and Franklin walked through them every day to feed them grain. Thus they should have been docile but they weren't necessarily. I could relate the story about a young one clearing the sale ring in Salida at a spring bull sale. I will hold that one though. I am sure that calving two year olds helped as it did for all of us and that takes care of the untouched females but what about the certainly experienced young bulls. You also forget that one, 110, pinned me to a gate and he was no heifer. So I know face to face and up front their capabilities.

Idaman do you recall what year that was. I worked there in the 60's when I was a kid. I seem to remember it but can't pin down the time frame.?

BTW that ring is pretty tall. He musta been a jumper for sure. They don't have to be crazy to do that though. I saw a 1/2 brother to my little angus bull try the same thing at Monte Vista Seedstock plus sale last year, and he was very docile outside the ring. Didn't hurt him much he still brought $22,000. I guess they figured he could breed almost any size cow with that kind of jumping ability. :lol2:

3waycross":1uj4h1v0 said:
Idaman":1uj4h1v0 said:
40-4171":1uj4h1v0 said:
I am Clint Nash.

Idaman do you recall what year that was. I worked there in the 60's when I was a kid. I seem to remember it but can't pin down the time frame.?

BTW that ring is pretty tall. He musta been a jumper for sure. They don't have to be crazy to do that though. I saw a 1/2 brother to my little angus bull try the same thing at Monte Vista Seedstock plus sale last year, and he was very docile outside the ring. Didn't hurt him much he still brought $22,000. I guess they figured he could breed almost any size cow with that kind of jumping ability. :lol2:

It was probably in the 80s. I left Colo. in 1977 so it was after that. He didn't clear the ring he just chased out all the ringmen and the auctioneer yelled open the gate.

Congratulations on your bull I may have to come take a look as we at assembling a purebred Angus herd mainly from Pharo and Oldhe breeding.

I think I we stayed in Monte Vista on the way to Farmington last year-is that where there are those kind of god forsaken sagebrush flats with trailer houses scvattered here and there through them. It looked like a tough place to winter to me.

Northern Rancher":11u5d36c said:
I think I we stayed in Monte Vista on the way to Farmington last year-is that where there are those kind of god forsaken sagebrush flats with trailer houses scvattered here and there through them. It looked like a tough place to winter to me.

It really is. Not too much snow but really cold and some wind.

We were ther last September to pick up a bellhousing.

What drew you to Farmington that is not a major destination spot?

Northern Rancher":3qayqx5z said:

Why yessir that's the place. Nasty in the summer and colder than a hore's heart in the winter. But it's an agricultural pradise. That alkali soil grows some of the best barley and potatoes in the world. I have hunted that valley all my life. For Elk, Deer, Ducks Geese, and in the old days pheasants.

3waycross":1ydwnpky said:
Northern Rancher":1ydwnpky said:

Why yessir that's the place. Nasty in the summer and colder than a hore's heart in the winter. But it's an agricultural pradise. That alkali soil grows some of the best barley and potatoes in the world. I have hunted that valley all my life. For Elk, Deer, Ducks Geese, and in the old days pheasants.

We hunted elk in Saguach Park for many years. Would love to take my boys back there.

One time they had a coyote problem and flew the valley in helicopters. There was a picture in the paper of 1400 coyotes in a pile.

Northern Rancher":2tr0fs67 said:
I could see jumping a big old mulie up out of that brush.

The best hunting was on the west side but only elk higher up.

3waycross":2haafnou said:
Northern Rancher":2haafnou said:

Vic (3waycross)-

I have never 'lived' in the Alamosa, Saguache, Monte Vista area, but I taught Agriculture in Walsenburg for several years, and I have seen (EXPERIENCED!!) the "Valley" COLD! (-55 DEGREES with a 'slight' breeze) more than I want to ever again! It freezes your toes, fingers, lungs, nose hairs, eye lashes and tear ducts! No - no - no! NO mas!

DOC HARRIS