Franklin Nash

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks, Clint, I sure mixed that story up! I figured that you would know more about it than I did. Folks, he has a mind like a trap steel:)

scan00055.jpg

I think that I maybe should only stick to cow stories for a while. It seems that I don't have much of a memory for the physical labor stuff--maybe too much time in the kitchen:)
While looking for the Sassy photo that Clint wanted to see, we found,
this photo of one of the 5 original cows that we bought from Dad in 1991. She was what he thought was his best 3-year old at the time. She is Y15, and is pictured at 9 years old, here. We ended up keeping her in the herd until she was 15 years old. She was culled because of being stifled. The heifer calf is the grand dam of one of the best bull calves we have on the cows this year. We have several cows in the herd, and the 908 bull, pictured on our web site, go back to this cow.

The bull with the 30 heifers that we sent to Mom's this summer is D Advance 644. He is out of a the below pictured cow #65 (She is 10 years old in the photo) and the 908 bull.
http://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/908_65_ranch_hi_water_Aug_28

644 is a pretty correct, very long bodied bull that produces small calves which weigh in the 65-75# range. This is the third year that we are using him on the heifers. He is the sire of two of the nicest heifers that are in Colo. with him. The photo is of him at three years old. I took it in the fall of last year, while he was still in Colo.
[img]http://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/2009_644_heifer_bull_in_Colo.JPG

908_65_ranch_hi_water_Aug_28_06_037.jpg

This is the photo that I tried to post in the previous post.

Knersie,

We do only use him on heifers and will probably replace him with a son this next year.

Speaking of the blood line. I came across this old picture. I know it is from the Homestead on the ranch, but not sure of year or any of that. Soooo.. perhaps my cow savvy siblings can comment. I just think its a neat old photo.
bull_gmother_BW.jpg

I would say that was taken in the mid 60's. I think that Gary McDonald may have taken it. What do you think, Clint. It is taken at Dad's home place where he grew up. He would always start the group of older bull calves at his home place and a set of the younger calves at the Open Box place. He always said that by splitting them, they looked more uniformed, did better, and he always had good bulls for any buyer no matter what time of year they came to look. He usually started selling out of the home place with the older bulls first.

I am attaching a set of photos of the home where Dad grew up. The set of corrals are located just below it.

family_album_1039.jpg

We rebuilt the pole corrals at Grandmother's when I was in Jr High School. I think this picture was taken soon after but not positive. I would guess late 60's early 70's.

We had a two year old bull one time that thought he was going through the right section in this picture.
He left his feet and hit it about the 4th pole. Ran down it like water. Breathed kind of raspy for a while after that. Must have rearranged something in his nose. Those were pretty good sized spruce poles cut on the ranch. Dad used double upright posts in cement and fit the horizontal poles with an ax. Nothing ever went through these corrals.

I knew that Franklin was quite talented at constructing a serious fence, but I found out from Grandma that he constructed his own telephone line as well! I guess the phone company wouldn't build one, so Franklin asked them to supply the parts and he would build it himself. Mom said it was when she was a youngster and he would dig one 15 foot deep hole by hand each day after all his other work was done! The country was extremely rough and rocky. I guess he was also the phone company's go-to phone line repair man and carried some kind of phone where he could hook in on the line and test it. Mom says he would sometimes drop some of the kids off on the road and have them walk the line to see if the wire was down or a tree had fallen on it. Wow have times changed! I hope my mom, aunt, or uncle can expound on the story as I sure found it interesting.

I can remember the test phone and that in the summer, at the ranch, the phone worked sort of. Mostly when you needed it, it didn't work very well or you couldn't hear. We would go to Grandma's house about once a week to "do our important callin'" Really the place might be phone cursed-cell phones still don't work up there.

drdosu2002":e0ptutdk said:
I knew that Franklin was quite talented at constructing a serious fence, but I found out from Grandma that he constructed his own telephone line as well! I guess the phone company wouldn't build one, so Franklin asked them to supply the parts and he would build it himself. Mom said it was when she was a youngster and he would dig one 15 foot deep hole by hand each day after all his other work was done! The country was extremely rough and rocky. I guess he was also the phone company's go-to phone line repair man and carried some kind of phone where he could hook in on the line and test it. Mom says he would sometimes drop some of the kids off on the road and have them walk the line to see if the wire was down or a tree had fallen on it. Wow have times changed! I hope my mom, aunt, or uncle can expound on the story as I sure found it interesting.

Go back to my post on page 10. April 21st.

40-4171":2gbjvbw7 said:
drdosu2002":2gbjvbw7 said:

Go back to my post on page 10. April 21st.
Darn, that should be June 16th.

Latest posts