Franklin Nash

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":lwhcukna said:
3waycross":lwhcukna said:
Northern Rancher":lwhcukna said:
I think I we stayed in Monte Vista on the way to Farmington last year-is that where there are those kind of god forsaken sagebrush flats with trailer houses scvattered here and there through them. It looked like a tough place to winter to me.

Why yessir that's the place. Nasty in the summer and colder than a hore's heart in the winter. But it's an agricultural pradise. That alkali soil grows some of the best barley and potatoes in the world. I have hunted that valley all my life. For Elk, Deer, Ducks Geese, and in the old days pheasants.

Vic (3waycross)-

I have never 'lived' in the Alamosa, Saguache, Monte Vista area, but I taught Agriculture in Walsenburg for several years, and I have seen (EXPERIENCED!!) the "Valley" COLD! (-55 DEGREES with a 'slight' breeze) more than I want to ever again! It freezes your toes, fingers, lungs, nose hairs, eye lashes and tear ducts! No - no - no! NO mas!

DOC HARRIS

Amen. Walsenburg is way nicer. Even so is Westciffle where I am from. More snow less cold and wind.

One time they had a coyote problem and flew the valley in helicopters. There was a picture in the paper of 1400 coyotes in a pile.[/quote]

Yes I believe that would qualify as a " problem....." Thanks for your stories.

Idaman":97hlx5b7 said:
40-4171":97hlx5b7 said:
I am Clint Nash.
Any of them can get on the fight once in a while. Bulls in most breeds are different from the cows. Most dairy cows are easy handlers. The bulls will kill you without any warning. It has happened to numerous dairy men. I remember a bull or two at Salida clearing the ring, but also remember those Nash bulls almost always topped the sale. If they were all wolfs, I doubt that would have happened year after year. Idaman, sounds like you have run lots of cattle. Have you every had a wild one??

Idaman referred to the Nash cattle is being well known for their killer disposition. Yes, we had the tough individuals but only a small percentage. Much of it due to the environment they ran in and being handled as little as possible. What is one's undesirable trait can be another's desirable. Dad had customers now and then who purchased bulls to put some energy in their cow herd. Stated their cows were too gentle making it quite difficult to drive them or work them. Idaman stated introduction of the Arrow solved the attitude problem. The Arrow was a very smart, gentle bull, but was not the solution. My Sister Julie already explained the solution. Calving heifers at 2 yrs rather than 3 and walking through them daily. When calving at 3 we never saw a first calf heifer callve

In regard to the record. I am having some trouble reconciling this assertion with the fact that his young bulls were always penned up at the Open Box or Grandmas' house and Franklin walked through them every day to feed them grain. Thus they should have been docile but they weren't necessarily. I could relate the story about a young one clearing the sale ring in Salida at a spring bull sale. I will hold that one though. I am sure that calving two year olds helped as it did for all of us and that takes care of the untouched females but what about the certainly experienced young bulls. You also forget that one, 110, pinned me to a gate and he was no heifer. So I know face to face and up front their capabilities.

Gosh Idaman, you really are hung up on this disposition thing. They are pussycats now..Sorry you were so traumatized

Since you like to tell tales (or are the most prolific typist I've ever seen). Tell the one about you swallowing a fly. :lol2:

caprock":17fov0s1 said:
My "be nice" above was "kitty cats" or the like-wow this is one sensitive place.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Macon's got a strict filter in place here at CT! A number of teens post here.

There's ways around it - like using "$" for "s" or "1" for "l", as in He110!

I don't think I'd call CT sensitive! Many folks have found that you need some thick skin before you post pictures of your cattle here. Farmers and ranchers are independent types - and they usually pull no punches in stating their opinions.

When things get REALLY out of hand, they just lock the threads and occasionally they "ban" someone - but they usually come back under another ID.

George

WichitaLineMan":3cbz22hb said:
"occasionally "

Really?

Yah, I'm trying very hard now to keep from being banned.

My wife would kill me. :banana:

As I promised, it is time for a fence building story or two. Daddy always said that you could tell a lot about a cattleman by just looking at his fences. Of coarse, back then we actually had Hereford bulls as neighbors, so fences were one of his pet peeves. His whole idea of fence building was -- if I build it , it is going to out live me. When we, kids were little he would load us up and haul everything as close to the fence line as his turquoise power wagon, which he was an expert at getting in some unbelievable places, could get us. He would unload it and hand something to each kid. We would all huff and puff up the rough mountain to the fence line. Sometimes it would take quite a while. When we would finally arrive, he would turn to one of us and say go back and get the water jug or what ever, and we would start the climbing process all over again. When we got a little older, my brother, Jeff, and I would try, between the two of us, to out pound Daddy while driving steel post. We never could best him, he could pound two or three to our one. And later, when when Mike and I were married, we were up to the ranch. Mike and brother, Clint were helping Daddy build fence. Mike was about 27 and Clint was in college. They both knew how to work. Mike said that they started at the post pile and loaded two huge posts. (Daddy always used the biggest red cedar posts he could find for corners) Mike said that with the three of them it was a struggle to load them. When they got to the fence line, they had to carry the post up the mountain. Daddy told them to grab the smaller of the two. For quite some time, Mike and Clint were struggling up the mountain with the post, and Mike hears a little shuffling and grunting behind them. Here comes Franklin with the larger post on his shoulder, passes them, all the while climbing up the mountain, like a mountain goat, and not breaking a sweat. Mike said that he was so shocked that he almost dropped the post on Clint. He said that at that moment, he decided that if he ever needed a man in his corner, it would be Franklin.

Now, since there seems to be some differing of opinion on some of these stories, Clint please feel free to chime in:)

We put a white cedar in the corral at the open box one time. Jeff, Dad, and myself together couldn't load it. We had to use the Bobcat.

Fencing at the Nash place was an every Summer, every year project. Dad figured he built 250 miles of barbed wire fence in his lifetime, not to mention several sets of corrals. I used to cuss a storm on those trips up and down the mountain to get this tool and that tool. Why can't we do this in one trip?? Looking back I know Dad knew exactly what he was doing. He was building work ethic in those smart @#%& kids!! Dad always told us when you have a fence on the perimeter that needs fixed or rebuilt, don't ask the neighber for help or money or work, just do it and that is what he always did. Of course Colorado is a fence out state, so if you don't want the neighbors livestock, you have to fence em out. My kids and I have contract built some fence in NE Colorado. Pretty easy compared to the home place.

This is a true story, not only about Franklin, but also about his father in law, Carl Giem (Grandpa). Carl was an old cowboy and a jack of all trades. He was one of the settlers who owned and operated a saw mill, could make about any piece of junk run, farmed some, raised and trained his own horses and always had a few pigs, chickens and milk cows around. When the first Nash kid was old enough to go to school, Daddy cut the trees out of the basin and skidded the logs out with a team of horses, took the logs down the mountain to Grandpa's and ran them through the saw mill. At the same mill, they planed all the boards and Daddy was ready to build a house in Canon, for Mom and the kids to live in, during the school year. While all this was going on, we spent a lot of time at Grandpa's. I will always remember the day that Grandpa decided that some of his cows were lousey, and that he needed to run them through his special dusting room. This room was a smallish room off this barn. It had a hole in one side, where he inserted a hand cranked duster nozzle. He filled the duster with straight DDT, put a few cows in the dusting room and started cranking. Franklin said, " How much do you dust them with?" and Grandpa replies, "Well, when they start staggering, just open the door and let them out".

I'm Franklin's granddaughter (Mike and Jane's). I just want to say thank you for all the good Franklin stories. Most of them I hadn't heard and I really am enjoying learning more about him! Franklin had so many interests and different layers to his personality. I always enjoyed his style! My mom used to make him plain blue workshirts because he was hard to fit. Mom can probably add some to the story, but I believe he finally told her he liked the shirts, but was sick of that boring material. She asked him what kind he would like, and he wanted paisleys, flowers, wild colors, etc. I really loved going with mom to pick out his next shirt! She made him one with big red roses on it and it must have been his favorite, because he wore it about every time we saw him (much to Grandma's dismay I think) with his rainbow suspenders. He just did not care what others thought about him. He was truly an individual! A more honest and generous individual, I will never know. He helped numerous folks, most not related to him, pay for college, or something else that they might have needed to get started in a business etc. If he thought a person had some smarts, work-ethic, and talent, he wanted nothing more than to help them succeed in any way he could! I often remember him saying that you won't know if your kid's any good until they're 30! I always thought, I hope I pass that test someday! As Julie said he was a big man with an even bigger heart. There is sure not another one like him!! :tiphat:

scan0008.jpg

anybody recognize this steer?

Sure. It is my brother, Clint, who started this thread about our Dad. I don't know much about the steer other than he was a Franklin Nash bred steer in about 1972 or 19732. I believe that he won the County 4-H show, which would have had over 100 steers competing. Mike and I were married and not around Canon much, at that time. Good looking steer! Clint will have to tell you about him.

scan0008.jpg
[/quote]

Looks like my bro to me. Bet the critter tasted good. That's all I know though. Clint will be back to a computer on Monday so we'll get the scoop. :???:

That is me at the halter. This is one of two steers we showed out of over 40 that was not raised by Dad or Mom; although, both were Nash cattle from cows or bulls sold to those breeders. Idaman raised this steer. He was grand champion and since he won the show did not cost me a dime. That was a good deal. Thanks Idaman. The other steer came from Dick Davis at Cortez, CO. He was a powerful individual as a weaner, but did not hold his conformation like this steer did.

Latest posts