Frame size impacted by feeding during growth?

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience or know of any references to how big of difference being on feed from weaning to first calving makes on the mature frame size of a cow?

I have had a couple of the kids' 4H heifers turn into big (1600-1700 or even 1800lb) cows when they were out of moderate framed cows and bulls. These girls usually got unlimited grass hay and about 1.5% of their body weight per day in a high oat/soy hull augmented ration to give them plenty of protein without pouring on the fat.

I have two daughters out of one of these big mamas that are both very nice 1200-1400 lb cows who were raised on feed for a much shorter period of time and did most of their growing on grass and milk.

I know that an animal won't reach its maximum potential frame size without enough protein, but is the feed enough of a difference to blow them up in to the undesirable frame size as cows? I've always fed the heifers conservatively in my opinion, to avoid foot and milking issues later, but what I've seen in a few cases makes me think unwanted frame size might be another thing to watch for.

?? Do you mean these cows got the proper feed and reached their full size? Doesn't sound like the others are stunted so I'm not too sure what you mean..Can you explain in small words??

Latest posts