Frame Scores

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Yes, management plays a role in frame score. That's why EPDs are a better indicator than an animal's actual performance.

When in doubt, ask how the bull was raised. Ask to see his contemporary group or his dam and sire. If he's an AI calf, look at the sire's EPDs or see if you can find other breeders who have used the sire about frame score.

It is a given that purebred breeders normally attempt to provide adequate nutrition to an animal to allow it to grow to it's genetic potential.

I would assume that frame score is effected minimally by the lack of nutrition unless it is critically starved for an abnormal period of time.

When registering an animal in my breed association, there is a box to check as to whether creeped or not.

MikeC":27gtufdd said:
It is a given that purebred breeders normally attempt to provide adequate nutrition to an animal to allow it to grow to it's genetic potential.

I would assume that frame score is effected minimally by the lack of nutrition unless it is critically starved for an abnormal period of time.

When registering an animal in my breed association, there is a box to check as to whether creeped or not.

There is more to that Mike, environment also plays a huge role, calves born and raised in an acidic environment will never grow out to be as tall as those raised in a sweeter environment even if grazing conditions was good in both instances.

I suppose if you try an simulate a feedlot situation the difference will greatly be reduced, but under normal adequate grazing conditions even with a little supplement there will still be a huge difference in how animals grow out.

It is for this reason that I have always stated that the framescore animal that will work for you might be from a bigger range than most people would think.

if a cattleman is using the same genetics in the south, as say one in the north west?? the fellow in the south is gonna have too supplement are use differernt management practice, to get that same animal to reach the same potentail as the other.

ALACOWMAN":3q25b5zv said:
if a cattleman is using the same genetics in the south, as say one in the north west?? the fellow in the south is gonna have too supplement are use differernt management practice, to get that same animal to reach the same potentail as the other.
Maybe so, but if you are speaking of EPD differences that would come together as an average. This would give a more accurate EPD over all, which were never designed to be exact in the first place. Only designed to be a tool.