Fox, SDSA, R-CALF: 'PREMATURELY' presented as fact

Help Support CattleToday:

SSAP

Reaction score
http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdee ... 594627.htm

... Canadian cattle at a Swift packing plant in Nebraska were delivered directly from Canada, not by a South Dakota livestock producer, a U.S. Department of Agriculture investigation has determined.

...A USDA official said Wednesday that the investigation revealed that the Canadian cattle were never at Vandyke's operation. Instead, the investigation showed the cattle in question were shipped directly to the plant from Manitoba, Canada, as is allowed by law.

....The USDA was able to use import documents to determine that the animals entered the United States legally, the ag department spokesman said.

... Proper paperwork: However, Sam Holland, state veterinarian for South Dakota, said the paperwork indicates that tags of the cattle in question were checked at the Canadian border. The proper papers were found at the port of entry, he said Wednesday.

..."The paperwork trail that's required for slaughter cattle is pretty irrefutable," Holland added.

...Holland, who has been critical of some USDA dealings, said the investigation into the Vandyke situation was thorough and straightforward. While more work could be done on the case, Holland said that it now appears that the proper information has been released.

...South Dakota Stockgrowers prematurely presented as fact the belief that Vandyke bought Canadian cattle in the state.

Long story in short: the seven bar coded, numbered tags in question matched the bar coded, numbered tags of health certificates accompanying calves delivered directly to the slaughter plant.... the paper trail is pretty irrefutable.

But.. but ... Ot and his friend :pretty: Haymaker said it was factual info they were spreading :?I quess it must have been something else they were spreading :lol2:

SSAP":3v2gfcg0 said:
http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/news/local/16594627.htm

... Canadian cattle at a Swift packing plant in Nebraska were delivered directly from Canada, not by a South Dakota livestock producer, a U.S. Department of Agriculture investigation has determined.

...A USDA official said Wednesday that the investigation revealed that the Canadian cattle were never at Vandyke's operation. Instead, the investigation showed the cattle in question were shipped directly to the plant from Manitoba, Canada, as is allowed by law.

....The USDA was able to use import documents to determine that the animals entered the United States legally, the ag department spokesman said.

... Proper paperwork: However, Sam Holland, state veterinarian for South Dakota, said the paperwork indicates that tags of the cattle in question were checked at the Canadian border. The proper papers were found at the port of entry, he said Wednesday.

..."The paperwork trail that's required for slaughter cattle is pretty irrefutable," Holland added.

...Holland, who has been critical of some USDA dealings, said the investigation into the Vandyke situation was thorough and straightforward. While more work could be done on the case, Holland said that it now appears that the proper information has been released.

...South Dakota Stockgrowers prematurely presented as fact the belief that Vandyke bought Canadian cattle in the state.

Long story in short: the seven bar coded, numbered tags in question matched the bar coded, numbered tags of health certificates accompanying calves delivered directly to the slaughter plant.... the paper trail is pretty irrefutable.

But can't be tracked down by USDA for 2 months even when the cattle entered the country the day before :roll: :???: Which makes them destroy the cattle and a load of offal...

How are they going to keep track of old cows that they want to go all over the country when they can't even track cattle that supposedly came across the border the day before in a sealed truck :roll: How do they even have the gall to propose it with their Rule 2 and expect to get US cattlemen/Congress to allow it :???: :lol: :lol:

Ot the system works. But as you have commented your tracking system is slow because of all the paperwork but effective.How will you be able to track cows, the same way the USDA did with the fats. Maybe get a code reader and have a data base on computer that may speed things up. I know computers aren't a new thing to the US. If you want we could probably suppy codes for each animal at the border , oh wait that is done already on your USDA import documents. Maybe hire people to keep track of that sort of thing. If you want i could arrange for a couple of cases of barbque sauce for the crow you, other R-CALFer's, and the SDSGA are going to have to eat on this one.

SSAP- Talking about credibility---Would you post a statement from R-CALF on this subject.....Show me one....

You can't because there are none.....

R-CALF hasn't taken a stance or made a statement on this issue from day one--waiting for USDA...

Its another of your Evil Empire fantasy's....Come on SSAP-skcattleman--- show us an R-CALF press release......

I probably actually did more than R-CALF on this-- I contacted one of the national agriculture broadcasters I'm an aquaintance of, and informed him of what was happening in an attempt to get this guy paid for his cattle- he was unaware of the situation (since USDA was trying to keep it quiet) and they broke the story on the news and went to work putting pressure on the USDA to get him paid....

But if we have to go thru 2 months of arguing with Packers and USDA everytime a cattleman sells cattle in order to get paid, because USDA can't track Canadian quarantined cattle and Canada won't assist in the tracking process of their quarantined cattle-- then we don't need to be taking any more Canadian cattle....

Oldtimer":39w58cbg said:
SSAP":39w58cbg said:
http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/news/local/16594627.htm

But can't be tracked down by USDA for 2 months even when the cattle entered the country the day before :roll: :???:

How are they going to keep track of old cows that they want to go all over the country when they can't even track cattle that supposedly came across the border the day before in a sealed truck :roll: How do they even have the gall to propose it with their Rule 2 and expect to get US cattlemen/Congress to allow it :???: :lol: :lol:

Oh they probably had these tags matched up right away ... it was the "facts" (tongue in cheek) as presented to the media by Fox, et al (SDSA/R-CALf) that had to be looked into. Hard to say where this "hearsay" led them during that time - afterall you yourself said their is no livestock/brand inspection in East SD.

Why does the whole industry have to pay each time these guy's cry wolf - when will "they" (and I include you Oldtimer) take responsibility for your words and actions instead of relying on everyone (the rest of the industry) else's time and money to prove your statements wrong.

Come on SSAP-- I'm waiting for your news article from R-CALF....Show me this Press Release....

Or are you starting to have dream fantasy's about Bill, Leo, and the boys too ? ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer -
- R-CALF have let their name stand in association
- R-CALF has made no public announcement that their name should not have been used

• Aberdeen News, Jan 30
    Vandyke said he agrees with the South Dakota Stockgrowers and the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, commonly called R-CALF, that the USDA's cattle importation process is faulty.

Both groups are opposed to a plan to open the borders even wider. In a press release, South Dakota Stockgrowers said USDA needs to scrap a plan that would allow Canadian cattle older than 30 months into the United States under certain conditions. Vandyke said he agrees.
    http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdee ... 594627.htm

• Press & Dakotan, Jan 22
    The innards of all 43 head in the same semi, including the disputed seven, were condemned for an estimated loss of $11,000, according to officials with the Stockgrowers Association and the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund.
    http://www.yankton.net/stories/012207/n ... 2207.shtml

• Aberdeen News, Jan 20
    A South Dakota livestock producer who does not want to be identified because he still has cattle to sell has been working with the South Dakota Stockgrowers Association and the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, commonly called R-CALF.
    The offal, or innards, of all 43 head in the same semi, including the disputed seven, was also condemned for a total estimated loss of about $11,000, said Stockgrowers Association and R-CALF officials.http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/news/16505793.htm?source=rss&channel=aberdeennews_news

• The Associated Press Jan 20
    The innards of all 43 head in the same semi, including the disputed seven, were condemned for an estimated loss of $11,000, according to officials with the Stockgrowers Association and the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund.http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SD_CATTLE_INVESTIGATION_SDOL-?SITE=SDSIO&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

They have made no releases on it-- period......

I post all their official press releases on here- and there was none.....

All they did was to help the fellow get his money-- which is the same that you would think Canadian cattlemen would want to do too-- but I guess $11,000 doesn't mean much to folks like you -eh....

SD Stockgrowers and R-CALF Area Meetings in Morristown and Timber Lake

Everyone Welcome

Rapid City – Jess Peterson, R-CALF USA lobbyist will address cattle producers in the Morristown, S.D., and Timber Lake, S.D., communities on January 17, 2006.

According to South Dakota Stockgrowers Association (SDSGA) District 6 Director Buck Ward, Timber Lake, S.D., local ranchers and other interested folks are invited to stop by the Buzzard's Roost at 1:00 pm in Morristown, S.D., where a no-host lunch will be available. Ward also invites producers to the Dakota Landmark Café at 6:00 pm in Timber Lake, S.D. for a free supper. Peterson will speak at each meeting, as well as SDSGA Vice President Larry Nelson, Buffalo, S.D. Ward says that the meeting is not just for members – everyone is welcome.

Pat Becker, Selfridge, N.D., will speak on behalf of the Independent Beef Producers of North Dakota (I-BAND) at the Morristown meeting.

Larry Nelson says that R-CALF and the South Dakota Stockgrowers Association work hand in hand on a number of issues, including trade, marketing and competition. Same crap different pile

"We encourage local ranchers to mark January 17, 2006 on their calendars, and make a point to attend our meetings," Nelson said. "Jess Peterson, R-CALF's lobbyist, does an outstanding job representing ranchers in Washington, D.C., and I sure look forward to hearing about the latest issues he's working on. He comes from a ranching family and understands well the ins and outs of the business."

Oldtimer":3ip46k1o said:
But if we have to go thru 2 months of arguing with Packers and USDA everytime a cattleman sells cattle in order to get paid, because USDA can't track Canadian quarantined cattle and Canada won't assist in the tracking process of their quarantined cattle-- then we don't need to be taking any more Canadian cattle....

Did you ever stop to think for a moment that if Fox (et al) hadn't released his "facts" (tongue in cheek) to the media that perhaps the feeder would have been paid much sooner. Instead the USDA was led on a wild goose chase trying to prove or disprove Fox's claims. Fox (et al) was the one that wanted a USDA investigation into the matter.

Fox said that the Stockgrowers have sent a letter to USDA with three requests: 1) a full update regarding the progress of the investigation; 2) an explanation as to the non-compliance that allowed the mistake and; 3) indemnification for the feeder's financial loss.

Not to mention all those officials you contacted insisting that this issue needed further and additional investigation. How much do you think you cost the industry with this wild goose chase OT?

Larry Nelson says that R-CALF and the South Dakota Stockgrowers Association work hand in hand on a number of issues, including trade, marketing and competition. Same crap different pile

frenchie-- You got R-CALF fixation too....Funny how such a little supposedly unimportant group can turn Canadians' knees weak at the mention of their name..... ;-) :lol: :lol:

Just because your Provincial Assn. says something- does that make it National policy?...Does your provinicial assn automatically agree with what the National Assn says?....

R-CALF never made a public statement on the issue...You're having R-CALF evil empire dreams again.....

But the entire incident has definitely left them with lots of ammo for opposing the Rule 2 if they want to use it....

Oldtimer":1wp1h2eq said:
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:53 pm
.... R-CALF hasn't taken a stance .....

Oldtimer":1wp1h2eq said:
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:51 pm
....All they did was to help the fellow get his money

they didn't ... they did .... :roll:
They weren't involved ? Yet they helped get his money back?

SSAP":300hhhmw said:
Oldtimer":300hhhmw said:

Did you ever stop to think for a moment that if Fox (et al) hadn't released his "facts" (tongue in cheek) to the media that perhaps the feeder would have been paid much sooner. Instead the USDA was led on a wild goose chase trying to prove or disprove Fox's claims. Fox (et al) was the one that wanted a USDA investigation into the matter.

Fox said that the Stockgrowers have sent a letter to USDA with three requests: 1) a full update regarding the progress of the investigation; 2) an explanation as to the non-compliance that allowed the mistake and; 3) indemnification for the feeder's financial loss.

Not to mention all those officials you contacted insisting that this issue needed further and additional investigation. How much do you think you cost the industry with this wild goose chase OT?

I call BS---If USDA knew the info and had ready availability to the info from the tags- they would have released it the minute they had it....

They didn't have it because they admitted they had to hand search all the tag numbers from the border manifests...If the system was working-those manifests should be right there with the cattle and it should only take 5 minutes for the Slaughter House USDA inspector to match those cattle up- or to input the data in a computer and get a copy of the manifest- and those cattle would not be destroyed and they wouldn't have the mixup in paying the man....The system didn't work...And USDA had to admit they don't have an adequate system....

Which is exactly what I have been telling my Congressmen-- the Rule 2 is unworkable as proposed by the USDA...

ot: They didn't have it because they admitted they had to hand search all the tag numbers from the border manifests

much like you have to do with brands, right?

SSAP":t48mdoxf said:
Oldtimer":t48mdoxf said:

Oldtimer":t48mdoxf said:

No official actions from R-CALF....Should have read the members---I guess I as a member may have helped to make sure that the national press got the info that there was a problem on payment- which the radio announcer told me he would help on......But no official action was taken by R-CALF...

Show me where i said R-CALF put out a press release. I said you, other R- CALFer's and SDSGA. R-CALF obviously would not make a press release because there could be reprecussions and it would impune their reputation when they comment on rule 2. I have no problem with outspoken individuals as long as they deal in facts and not speculation. I understand people fear what they do not know. I personally think fear mongering won't help when it comes to the rule 2. The USDA will hear from concerned groups but they will have to bring facts to prove their concerns are valid. This mix up will help the border open under rule 2. Remember that when the comment period is over.
As far as how long the investigation took that is your problem with your government agency. And as far as the CFIA and CCIA not releasing the canadian producers name, and slowing down the investigation, how did that slow down the investigation? The USDA had the tag numbers on the import papers they did not need any more information from the CFIA. I know you have a position, but what was requested from canada would not have sped up the investigation. It would have only provided fooder for a witch hunt. In short the system worked and it seems that your concern is the speed of how it works. As far as tracking, the USDA had all the imfo they needed, and took their time to make sure the allegations were true. They did track where the cattle came from. And with your concerns of packer/producer disputes that has nothing to do with canada and that is what the SDSGA and R-CALF should be focusing on.
By the way the US market is in a deficite when it comes to the grind market, so yes you do need more cattle to fill that market because US producers want to get more money from the export market. The US is in a good position as there is a good supply of cattle in close proximity to fill that demand that the US produce does not want to fill. The benefit is for the consumer.

Oldtimer":3hv7qfxo said:

frenchie-- You got R-CALF fixation too....Funny how such a little supposedly unimportant group can turn Canadians' knees weak at the mention of their name..... ;-) :lol: :lol:

Nawh ..no fixation here ..just pointing out that R-Calf and SDSA hold hands ..just like you and your :pretty: friend Haymaker

Oldtimer":2ywh327l said:
SSAP":2ywh327l said:

No official actions from R-CALF....Should have read the members---I guess I as a member may have helped to make sure that the national press got the info that there was a problem on payment- which the radio announcer told me he would help on......But no official action was taken by R-CALF...

Oh I quess that makes you a hero...wonder how many thousands of wasted dollars it cost the U.S.D.A to check out the wild goose chase you sent then on :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Oh I quess that makes you a hero...wonder how many thousands of wasted dollars it cost the U.S.D.A to check out the wild goose chase you sent then on

If they were doing their job all it would take them is matching up the Canadian ID numbers to the cattle that had came across the border..... Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to input the numbers- and the USDA inspector at the slaughter plant should have had a printout right in his hands....No condemning of product or nothing....No incident...

But now they are telling us they aren't doing what they said they would do when they proposed the border rule- so who will believe them on their abilities with Rule 2...

And Canada has now shown that the border quarantine means nothing to them- and won't use their ID system to help with quarantine problems-- so why should the US cattleman endanger the US cattle herd.....

Latest posts