Four for Four

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Can't believe it. First 4 calves for fall - all embryos (conventional - not sexed) - all heifers!!! Two red white face, 1 black white face and this newborn, solid red. Four still due for Sept, and two due latter part of October.
Wanted to show you how we sort/catch our cattle. Phil, nephew, carries the polywire reel and I hold the other end. We wonder thru the cattle, picking it up over some and just walk what we need into our working lot/facility.

That white line is our moving polywire, not a fence.

All done! Tagged, naval dipped, A&D, Multimin, Inforce 3 and weighed. 4 days late, 102#

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3bclcwba said:
Can't believe it. First 4 calves for fall - all embryos (conventional - not sexed) - all heifers!!! Two red white face, 1 black white face and this newborn, solid red. Four still due for Sept, and two due latter part of October.
Wanted to show you how we sort/catch our cattle. Phil, nephew, carries the polywire reel and I hold the other end. We wonder thru the cattle, picking it up over some and just walk what we need into our working lot/facility.

That white line is our moving polywire, not a fence.

All done! Tagged, naval dipped, A&D, Multimin, Inforce 3 and weighed. 4 days late, 102#

Beautiful cow and calf. Needs a littl udder work though :)

holm25 - thanks - but, yes udder is not the best - that is why she is a recipient (embryo calf). Her two front quarters get elongated like that, but go right down to a normal udder. But, not something I want propagated in my herd.

Good on the heifers. Great of the method. I like that, but would not work if only one person is available.

I am waiting on calf #10. Looking like it may go over. Due today. Hate for mine to go over.

Ron, when I was alone during the day, I used the polywire, but I would have to catch the cattle in our holding lot, then I would tie the wire off to a "non-heated" source and weave in & out & get 1 caught by myself, like for breeding.
Or, if I needed to persuade the whole herd to go into our work facilities, I would also tie off close to the gate they needed to go thru & work them in by myself. But, two people is awesome.

That`s great getting the heifers out of embryo`s like that especially conventional. If they were sexed you`d have been really lucky to get any to stick.

jd720":fewo37mb said:
That`s great getting the heifers out of embryo`s like that especially conventional. If they were sexed you`d have been really lucky to get any to stick.
Totally agree. I purchased 3 embryo's & put all 3 in. Got 2 pregnancies. Put 3 of my own in, got 2 pregnancies - and they all ended up girls. :banana:

I always hate to "brag" out loud. Karma is a B. Having said that though, I am finished with embryos. I have a very exciting one due Monday. 3T Trinity, a Miss Power Lass (donor) direct daughter that is "huge-er" than her dam.
This was a pic as a 2 yr old. She is carrying a Classified calf.

Latest posts