Found week old calf near death, rack of bones.

Help Support CattleToday:

halfwaysharp

Reaction score
He is now 2 weeks old and the only time I can get him to drink is with Banamine. Temp is normal, breathing normal, bowls and urine normal. No mucus in nostrils. But what concerns me is...He chews his cudd I believe and looks content but when the Banamine wears off, he has a very wet chin. Like fresh water wet !! nose shiney and sop and wet. Cold to touch but shows no signs of discomfort. Bizarre to me. What causes the soppy wet chin and nose ? anyone ? I know this calf was with his mother for the whole week before I found him with a temp of 97.8. He is stable now in temp.

halfwaysharp":ghb0bm1t said:
He is now 2 weeks old and the only time I can get him to drink is with Banamine. Temp is normal, breathing normal, bowls and urine normal. No mucus in nostrils. But what concerns me is...He chews his cudd I believe and looks content but when the Banamine wears off, he has a very wet chin. Like fresh water wet !! nose shiney and sop and wet. Cold to touch but shows no signs of discomfort. Bizarre to me. What causes the soppy wet chin and nose ? anyone ? I know this calf was with his mother for the whole week before I found him with a temp of 97.8. He is stable now in temp.
The wet chin could be from drooling while he is chewing his cud (which doesn;t exist yet but they chew it anyway)
The tmep is WAY too low should be around 101F to 102F

What is stable on temp? Should be 101.5 f or there abouts. First get him to a vet, if not, tube him with body temp warm whole milk or calf milk supplement. May be too late for colustrium. As posted a couple of weeks ago. Get a Glucose bag from your vet and give the calf a couple of hundred (200 or so) cc's of it sub Q, just under the skin, repeat this as needed, get the calf hydrated. You can do the same with WHITE KARO SYRUP mixed 50-50 with body temp Water.....get all you can from the vet it's better, make sure it's warm close to body temp.

Vets are or friends
Alan

Temp is 100.1 solid. He drank his full ration Monday at 3pm and he actually started to play. Then he did not drink for 48 hours. The vet said we are doing all we can do. Took him off Banamine. This morning he ate some hard food and drank 1/2 a pint. The last time I tubed a calf ,,, it died. At least this calf has th ability to drink. Everytime he drinks he gets to normal then does not drink on a regular routine. Im so tired..All vital signs are perfectly normal.

Good for you and the calf, I least the calf is drinking a bit on it's own and you were smart enough to get a vet involved. Sometimes spending the money on a near dead animal is a tough decision, a bullet is a lot cheaper, but you made your choice and are sticking with it, something to be admired for. Caring for a sick newborn or young calf can be exhausting, just have to keep plowing through.

Glad to hear thing have turned bait in your favor.

Good luck,
Alan

If you don't want to tube him fluids then I would suggest as Alan stated earlier to inject subQ or even drench some fluids (drench gun or large syringe) to him. Keep a close eye on hydration level (skin tent or eyes sunken) you may even want to use some electrolytes.

You stated than he "chews his cud", does he grind his teeth? That is many times a sign of pain or discomfort in young animals.

Have you checked his navel and joints for swelling?

Did the Vet give you any idea what the cause is?

When they won't suck, I get an old towel and start rubbing them from top to bottom and front to back. Mostly trying to imitate what the cow does to her calf. That psuedo licking with the towel inspires them. It may sound crazy but I have done it with success on calves people had totally given up on as far as nursing goes.

OK. We were ready to dig a hole after 72 hours of acting like he was dieng. I drove and picked up the little packets of "Kick Start" and took me about 6 hours to get him to suck. To make a long story short, He has drank 2 full rations of milk mixed with the Kick Start and on his own chased the bottle. Now either the penicilin holds him alive !!! or I have found something that may pull him thru !! I am calling the manufacturer this morning to see if they can help. These calves can come up !!! and then crash like a hot air balloon.

Kick Start is a fabulous product.

Try all milk - milk replacer with all the powder and 1/2 the water... the little bugger will get the nutrition without all the volume of water until he starts eating more readily

Also -- Scour-Ease (used to by Optimil Complete) is pretty good antibiotic mixed with replacer (so you don't have the bother of electrolyte wait a few hours then milk replacer)

Good luck... and know that you are doing the best you can.

The "Kick Start" worked !! 2 days and he has come around to about 95%. He comes for his bottle at least 3 times a day !!! He filled out in his poor little boney body. Thank you so much !!!!!

Good for you. Based on what you had posted so far, I didn't think this story would have a happy ending. What happened with this calf's mother? Just rejected it, or have mastitis or something??

Well today I again attempted to put him the sun at the end of the barn Isle for just a few minutes. Got him back to his pen and you would have thought he was near death !! Flat out as a pancake !!! Like in a Coma !!! then about 2 hours later I came back and he was standing like nothing happened. It seems that any time a let him out in the horse barn Isle he crashes. I am worried he has absesses on his lungs or something like a heart condition. As long as he is in his soft little hut !!! he is fine. But to turn him out for a little walk just seems to knock him back down. 3 weeks old now. 2 weeks of fighting to keep him stable..Cattle seem to be very mysterious !!!

Latest posts