Found Something

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Its late at night, and Im about ready for sleep, so I let the dog out. He is a little hound dog, so he will pick up anything on his sniffer and find it. After he came inside he dropped something on the floor from his mouth. I looked at it, and concluded that it was definately a very large tooth. First thought was it had to be a tooth from one of the cattle, so I started looking it up online. I figured out it is definately a tooth from cattle, one of the molars.

Now that I got that boring story done. It looks like 2 of the 4 roots that go deep into the gums are broken. It doesnt look like its very old, as in hasnt been on the ground for very long. I know some cattle will begin to lose teeth as they get old, but the oldest cow we have is our 5 year old beefmaster. Does anyone have any ideas on why the dog would find fresh cattle teeth outside? I dont know what age a calf will lose its baby teeth, but this one looks too big to be from the nearly 1 month old calf. Looking at the top of the tooth, it looks somewhere around 1 inch by 1 inch.

Forgive me if this is poorly written, its late and Im exhausted.

They shed their teeth at around 18 months to 2 years. The tooth looks strange because the root system is almost non-existent. That's because as the new tooth is growing it sort of errodes the bottom of the old tooth

dun

Latest posts