Foreign land ownership

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/27/723501793/american-soil-is-increasingly-foreign-owned?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Holland at one time was subsidizes dutch to come to America. A lot of the Dairies in Hopkins County Texas were bought. Some of the dutch have since gone back home. There was one in particular asked the local auction to pick up enough cows to generate a certain amount of money. He got the check and wired it to Holland. Called the local bank he was in hock to and told them he and his family was boarding a plane to Holland and that they had some cows to milk the next milking.

Foreign-owned land should have a property tax rate of 10x the normal rate. That would eliminate some of the problem.

In China, it is forbidden for foreign nationals or foreign corporations to own any property, plant, or business.

All companies in China must be at least 51% owned by the Chinese. You have heard of technology transfer? Now you now how it's done. If you want to import something into China, you pay the high taxes. If you produce it there the taxes are very very low. However, you don't actually own the company.
A Chinese company will be at least 51% owner of "your" company or business...or in some cases, the govt itself will own it.

The 'middleman" is majority owner. China gets the corporate taxes. In our country tho, a foreign company can come in, build a plant, our govt gets some/maybe most of the tax revenue but all the profits go back to the nation of origin..to corporate HQ.
We're doing it backwards here. The amt of tax revenue is small in comparison to the profit margin.

It happens more than you'd realize. In California I've dealt with a few huge corporate farms that would come in and buy hundreds to thousands of acres at a time of prime farm ground and hire a manager to run it. I talked to one manager and he said the investment group had ten people in it and only three were US citizens but it was a US based group so it wouldn't show as being owned by foreigners.
One of the dairies I used to breed is for sale. 8,900 milking plus support animals and enough acreage to feed them. The only showings so far have been to foreign investors.

We shouldn't sell our country to foreigners. But if it wasn't for my wife a fellow from India would own this place. He came through here in 2006 with at least one suitcase full of cash and bought a couple of places that I know of.

greybeard said:
The 'middleman" is majority owner. China gets the corporate taxes. In our country tho, a foreign company can come in, build a plant, our govt gets some/maybe most of the tax revenue but all the profits go back to the nation of origin..to corporate HQ.
We're doing it backwards here. The amt of tax revenue is small in comparison to the profit margin.

If that foreign company engages in a trade or business in the United States it pays fedearal income taxes just like an american company. I'm sure there are probably ways to get around it just as our companies do in their country. Proba bly a washout when you figure there taxes collected vs our taxes collected.

greybeard said:

Corporations collect taxes from the consumer! Raise corporate tax they just raise the price. We can't seem to grasp the concept it's a hidden income tax.

All businesses do..it's part of the cost of doing business, whether a megacorp or a mom/pop store.

My point regarding foreign entities operating here, is that the fed/state tax that they pay is just a fraction of the profits that go back to the country of origin.
In China, they get both the jobs and the tax revenue, from anything made and sold there regardless of the name brand and most of the profit stays in China.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-02/domino-2-chinese-bank-105-bn-assets-verge-collapse

We are the world's economic engine and we built modern China through trade imbalance.

Greybeard was spot on who was profiting

greybeard said:
All businesses do..it's part of the cost of doing business, whether a megacorp or a mom/pop store.

My point regarding foreign entities operating here, is that the fed/state tax that they pay is just a fraction of the profits that go back to the country of origin.
In China, they get both the jobs and the tax revenue, from anything made and sold there regardless of the name brand and most of the profit stays in China.
Will agree with you on this. A lot of the foreign car companies and manufacturing will come to the United States only if they are given deals with no taxes, facilities built by the states and an agreement on amount of payment for each job created. I think Toyota made out like a bandit when they moved to San Antonio. This has happened all over the United States.

Cornfed01 said:
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-02/domino-2-chinese-bank-105-bn-assets-verge-collapse

We are the world's economic engine and we built modern China through trade imbalance.

Have you opened any of the sidebars on the left side of www.zero.comOf course I did and went to Naked Capitalism and read some of the writers research and reporting. You might want to read it also, I suspect when this trade war is over there will be no one standing except the ultra rich which will pick up the crumbs for next to nothing.

hurleyjd said:
greybeard said:

Will agree with you on this. A lot of the foreign car companies and manufacturing will come to the United States only if they are given deals with no taxes, facilities built by the states and an agreement on amount of payment for each job created. I think Toyota made out like a bandit when they moved to San Antonio. This has happened all over the United States.

I think Texas and San Antonio made out myself. Can't beat people working for the economy, especially when the pay and benefits is above adverage.

land can't be moved and the banks should make sure the land value covers their debt. I suspect what folks are really mad about is the competition is making land prices higher and rents higher.

hurleyjd said:
Cornfed01 said:

Have you opened any of the sidebars on the left side of www.zero.comOf course I did and went to Naked Capitalism and read some of the writers research and reporting. You might want to read it also, I suspect when this trade war is over there will be no one standing except the ultra rich which will pick up the crumbs for next to nothing.

You keep telling yourself that. 😂😂😂😂

You've apparently never heard of McKinley. The road map was provided years ago.

hurleyjd said:
I suspect when this trade war is over there will be no one standing except the ultra rich which will pick up the crumbs for next to nothing.

Trade war or not that seems to be the way things work now. The last administration gave $50 million dollars to a bunch out of Germany to build a factory about an hour from my house with promises they would create X number of jobs. This company was built less than 50 miles from an american family owned company and would be in direct competition with them. Now that the $50 million has been spent this company has stuck all the small family owned American businesses who dealt with them for millions of dollars in materials they delivered to them. It looks like these guys will be headed back to Germany with a big smile on their face knowing how generous and naïve America is. I suspect someone will end up buying the factory for pennies on the dollar but in the end the taxpayers have surely taken it on the chin.

Cornfed01 said:
hurleyjd said:
Cornfed01 said:

You keep telling yourself that. 😂😂😂😂

You've apparently never heard of McKinley. The road map was provided years ago.

You know more about everything than I do so pat your self on the back that you are a smart person. So I will concede defeat to you.

The post before you were trying to educate me on the errors of my understanding....now your mad because I made my point? :lol2: :lol2:

Have a good day Hurley

Douglas said:
land can't be moved and the banks should make sure the land value covers their debt. I suspect what folks are really mad about is the competition is making land prices higher and rents higher.

That's the biggest risk and its happened where we live in BC, Canada. I bought a house near the city with no land and paid $675k for it 10 years ago. Its now worth $1.5M. I bought an 8 acre farm about 1.5 hours out from the city 8 years ago. I paid $800k for it, it was just government accessed at $2M, I imagine it would sell for $3M. This all sounds good and dandy but no one can afford to buy anything. The average apartment outside of the city, 1 bedroom, rents for $2,000 a month! No one can afford to live. And this is all a result of the Canadian government allowing Chinese buyers to come in and buy up all our real estate. Once it corrects everyone that bought when the prices were high will probably go bankrupt. And we are slowly starting to see the correction happen since the Canadian government just put in high tax penalties for foreign buyers not living in the homes.

Latest posts