Ford's Not So Better Idea

Help Support CattleToday:

Next thing ya know, someone will come up with the idea of making airplanes and helicopters out of aluminum, and we know that would never hold up....oh....wait..

Nesikep":1ih88fv2 said:
It's rare I see an auto last for 200K... and with the new 6 and 8 speeds I shudder to think of what a replacement costs... usually more than the truck is worth
While I can't say it's a fun job, a $300 clutch is a whole lot cheaper

Auto transmissions have come a long ways in 20 years, NesI. I am assuming that is the age you are talking about when your saying the tranny is worth more than the truck.

slick4591":zuacnz05 said:
Hadn't heard about GM.

Can't wait to see Ford go after GM in 2018 when the Silverado goes to aluminum. Most non-Ford people don't know that GM had already committed to go aluminum in 2018 when they rolled out their 'Bear in a cage' commercial two years ago year against Ford. Hypocrites. But hey, what do you expect from a company that would be long dead without tax dollars.

Aaron":2dsimk9f said:
Nesikep":2dsimk9f said:
It's rare I see an auto last for 200K... and with the new 6 and 8 speeds I shudder to think of what a replacement costs... usually more than the truck is worth

Auto transmissions have come a long ways in 20 years, NesI. I am assuming that is the age you are talking about when your saying the tranny is worth more than the truck.
no, the truck is now worth more, but so is the tranny... when 'simple' transmissions are worth $40000, what's a newer one going to cost?.. the surrounding electronics can also be a great source of frustration when sensors die, etc

Nesikep":3c7nthu5 said:
Aaron":3c7nthu5 said:
Nesikep":3c7nthu5 said:

no, the truck is now worth more, but so is the tranny... when 'simple' transmissions are worth $40000, what's a newer one going to cost?.. the surrounding electronics can also be a great source of frustration when sensors die, etc

I'll assume you meant 4k. A custom built performance tranny for new 3/4 ton Ford can be had for about 7k US. So a stock tranny has to be far less than that.

Problem I have found with manual trannys is that no one wants to even work on them, so they are complete throwaways.

greybeard":16yymlm2 said:
Next thing ya know, someone will come up with the idea of making airplanes and helicopters out of aluminum, and we know that would never hold up....oh....wait..

Airplanes and pickup trucks are not comparable. Besides, not many expect to survive an impact when in an airplane.

[quote/]
Problem I have found with manual trannys is that no one wants to even work on them, so they are complete throwaways.[/quote]

When the 5 speed ZF went out in my ford i had a fit trying to find a shop to work on it. Everyone works on automatics, but a manual mechanic is hard to find.

15698101_1116356075128223_4527779921841153764_n.jpg

Latest posts