Ford vs. Chevy

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Ok folks – Which is it?
A) 2011 Silverado 3500HD DURAMAX® 6.6L V8 TURBO-DIESEL ENGINE
B) 2011 Super Duty F350 6.7L Power Stroke(R) V8 Turbo Diesel Engine

I have never bought a truck in this league. What is my best choice? Why is one better than the other?

Is it really just a cost question?

:cowboy:

HDRider":3dh3kcy4 said:
Ok folks – Which is it?
A) 2011 Silverado 3500HD DURAMAX® 6.6L V8 TURBO-DIESEL ENGINE
B) 2011 Super Duty F350 6.7L Power Stroke(R) V8 Turbo Diesel Engine

I have never bought a truck in this league. What is my best choice? Why is one better than the other?

Is it really just a cost question?

:cowboy:
you will find folks from both sides of the fence. I have the Duramax/Allison and couldnt ask for more. Mine is a 2010 and i got almost 70K on it. The Allison is the best tranny possibly ever made. Fords sure have some nice features though. I just dont know anything about the new engine.

IMO Dodge is the best right now. They don't have urea yet is the big thing. Your a DPF delete and a tuner away from 300k + if you do your part. Chevy's are IFS. Also after ford/navistar's epic fail that was the 6.0L powerstroke I wouldn't buy a first or second year of a brand new engine. The dmax and cummins are pretty proven. It's the emissions bs that's killing them. An allison isnt all that special. You can cook the converter and the clutches in them to. The new ford transmission ( I can't remember the model) and the dodge 68re are right there with it. In 01 when it came out it was better but now everyone has caught up. That's my :2cents:

If you're lucky enough to be a FORD person you'll never be happy with a chevy. There's a possibiity that if you're a chevy person and get a FORD that you may become a convert.

ALACOWMAN":jwg9nk4n said:
I may seem biased because i work at a chevy dealer...... but id go with the dodge :cowboy:
If I was designing my own I would choose a Ford body, Cummins engine, and Allison tranny. And of course the King Ranch interior.

Seen new dodge with with dusted oil rings, a chevy burn down to the frame....ill stick with my ford with 220k thank you very much. Diesels are meant to sound and ride like a diesel. Not a 1/2 ton gasser

I have 06 duramax with the lbz engine. Took the local GM dealer 2 weeks to get injectors for my engine. I bought a new Dodge with the cummins engine, didn't like the idea of having to add urea to a tank just to pass emissions. GM's has a small cab compared to either Ford or Dodge. The Chevy has the best ride but everything on it is light duty compared to either Ford or Dodge. I only have 5k miles on my Dodge but I like it lots better than my Chevy. I like Fords but I would not buy one till the Scorpion diesel engine is a few years old. The 6.0's ruined Ford and the 6.4's fuel mileage, and electronics didn't help Ford earn my business back yet. Any time the dealer has to pull the cab off the truck to work on the engine sure makes me wonder about the engineering of the vehicle. Good Luck

If you can find one get it with a Ford body and chassis, Cummins engine and Allison transmission. Then you'll have something. :lol:

I've got an old Duramax w/ Allison. Got nearly 200K on it now and after a few kinks got worked out it's been a fine truck.

hooknline":2rniqc9g said:
Seen new dodge with with dusted oil rings, a chevy burn down to the frame....ill stick with my ford with 220k thank you very much. Diesels are meant to sound and ride like a diesel. Not a 1/2 ton gasser

Yep that's easy to do if you don't keep a clean air filter on it. As far as the chrispy chevy, they have had electrical gremlins for a while now. I know my O4 1/2 ton did. Hook you have a 7.3 right? If you have a 6.0l you spent some money on fixing what navistar should have done from the beginning.
My dream trucks would be a 07-10 ford black 4x4 crew cab dually with an 04.5-07 common rail and a NV5600. Bolt on 19.5s and a CM bed.

Highgrit, I got the 6.0 2004. Only have about 2500 in repairs beyond maintenance and repair items

hooknline":1qrk1y2c said:
Highgrit, I got the 6.0 2004. Only have about 2500 in repairs beyond maintenance and repair items

Head studs and egr delete? With those the 6.0's are pretty decent. It's just a PITA because you have to pull the cab.

I have never road in one of the new chevys, but I am more than impressed with my 2011 f-350. It pulls a load real good and doesn't ride like a tank when its empty.

If you're doing some serious pulling, go with the Dodge.

Ford is pretty good just to impress the gals with.

Chevy is nice if you want to drive a car that looks like a truck. :hide:

Jim62":18rd3b68 said:
If you're doing some serious pulling, go with the Dodge.

Ford is pretty good just to impress the gals with.

Chevy is nice if you want to drive a car that looks like a truck. :hide:
you'd be suprized at the people that do... come in and buy a new duramax, just to use as a daily driver

If you want to buy from a well managed company that doesn't need billions of dollars in taxpayer money to stay afloat then buy a Ford. Otherwise go with one of the other two.

all I got to say is you guys must make some dang good money at your DAY jobs because you sure can't pay for one of those trucks with cows

I haven't owned a NEW truck since 2001 and If your pulling enough to justify owning a 1 ton then ya just need to step on up to a S/A midliner type truck and have something that will last and stop what you put behind it

I pulled trailers as part of my living and I guaranty I could wear a 1 ton out in a yr or 2 and a good midliner size truck was 1/3 the price and you could get 10 yrs out of it with NO problem

Now days I just stick with the Pete

Latest posts