Ford or Chevy

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Farms

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a used truck to haul cattle around to fairs in addition
to use around the farm. I am split between well meaning friends that "swear" by their
truck. I am definitly getting a diesel. My chevy friends tell me the brake system in a
ford 250 is inadequate. My ford friends say the transmissions in the chevy's are bad.
What do you know and what about hauling. I will be hauling a gooseneck 22 foot stock trailer.

Interested in the year of the truck you recommend also.

Appreciate your feedback. J

Save yourself the trouble and get a Dodge. I have been a long time Ford fan...still can't beat it most of the times however...we just got a (new to us) 2005 Dodge 3500 dually...it pulls like a champ!!! Can't even tell that the trailer is behind ya when it is loaded...besides real trucks don't wear bowties :banana: :banana:

Colorado2008":1d5tjis5 said:
Save yourself the trouble and get a Dodge. I have been a long time Ford fan...still can't beat it most of the times however...we just got a (new to us) 2005 Dodge 3500 dually...it pulls like a champ!!! Can't even tell that the trailer is behind ya when it is loaded...besides real trucks don't wear bowties :banana: :banana:
I have to agree. I drive a 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4. Cannot tell the trailer is there - loaded. Have been very pleased with it.

We agree with the above 2 comments, Dodge has the best diesel. Power, mileage, and space that the dodges provide are the best by far. We use a 2500 dodge 4x4 .

Buy what you like, it doesn't matter what we like but since you asked, I vote for Chevy, we love our diesel, plenty of power!

I am a Chevy guy. I drive a chevy 2500 hd gas. If I were getting a diesel I would get a dodge.
may be wrong but it sounds that the dodge is a bit more fuel efficient with more power. The rumor is that they do not have near as many service issues either. With that said I agree with the hawkeye. Get what you want (if you can afford it). If you dont you wont ever be happy with your purchase.

My Farm Truck from 1992 - 2003 was a Chevy 3500 dual wheel, 454 gas, 4 speed manual. We showed calves in 11 states, and I drove that truck as my daily ride during those years also. I then purchased a 2002 Ford F 250 4WD, with the 7.3 turbo diesel, 6 speed manual. I don't haul as much now, but still load it down every now and then. This truck is now my daily ride. I drive it about 20K per year. Both the Chevy and the Ford have been great trucks, pull like crazy, and very reliable. I have never owned a Dodge truck, but those I have ridden in, do not have as comfortable a ride, and make much more noise than the Ford or Chevy.

I pull with a 01 Dodge Cummins and you cant even tell the trailor is back there. I would stay away from any 6.0 ford the older 7.3's are ok. Also if you are planning on pulling alot of weight dont use a older 6.5 chevy or gmc. I wold recomend the new chevys and gmc's but make sure it is a 03 or newer the first few years had a few problems with head gaskets.

We have an 02 Ford 350, powerstroke (sorry, that's all that I know about it. It's dads truck.)
Pulls like a champ though. I like the looks of dodge trucks.
Get what you like.

I have an '01 Dodge 2500 6-speed manual diesel (Cummins). It pulls our gooseneck trailer easily with good fuel economy. 15 to 18 mpg loaded. 20 to 22 mpg without a trailer.

My husband has a 2000 Ford F250 crewcab with the 7.3L diesel engine and an automatic transmission. It pulls well, but not as easily as the Dodge. It gets between 12 to 15 mpg loaded and 18 mpg without a trailer.

He also has a 2008 Ford F250 with the 6 whatever diesel engine, automatic transmission. It is his company truck. He has yet to pull a trailer with it, but the fuel mileage is poor. 15 mpg highway (if he is lucky). It is a very quiet engine. You hardly hear it running.

We prefer a manual transmission, but sometimes you have to buy what is available (namely the 2000 Ford). I happened to see the Dodge at our local car dealer and snapped it up. Used manual transmission trucks can be hard to find.

His 08 ford would have a 6.4 in it, they are starting out like ford's 6.0, We have an 04 dogde, with an automatic, and it get sabout the same gas milage, and our ford gets about the same as your ford

We have a 1999 Ford F350 Super Duty. It has 200,000 miles on it and still running great. The only thing we had to replace was the transmission last year. I do know that Dodges have really good engines but are cheaper made on the outside. I love Fords and thats all I plan on having. But we might break down and buy a Dodge, since are truck is getting kinda old. I can't stand Chevy's. My Paw-Paw had 2003 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado and I hated pulling my 2,400 pound heifer in it. It was torture. You could tell the trailer was there and you could feel the tuck kick up when it had to pull harder.

But I agree just buy what you like.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with a Chevy's transmission (can't speak from experience) but as far as I know the Allison Tranny is by far the best on the market right now. Same as the Cummins vs Duramax/Powerstroke issue.

Late 94 - early 03 ford will have a 7.3 I had five 7.3's and loved every one of them.Then i bought a 6.0 ford lots of problems just like most everybody else.This spring I bought a new dodge with the 6.7 it's an ok truck but m.p.g. is poor 8-10 loaded :mad: If it were me I would try to find a nice 7.3 you get a well made truck and a reliable engine with out all the epa bs. plus you can tweak them and not worry to much about engine problems.

As like a couple other people said, go with Dodge. But since you said Ford or Chevy, I'd go with Chevy.

brahma_show_girl":2n1902z7 said:
We have a 1999 Ford F350 Super Duty. It has 200,000 miles on it and still running great. The only thing we had to replace was the transmission last year. I do know that Dodges have really good engines but are cheaper made on the outside. I love Fords and thats all I plan on having. But we might break down and buy a Dodge, since are truck is getting kinda old. I can't stand Chevy's. My Paw-Paw had 2003 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado and I hated pulling my 2,400 pound heifer in it. It was torture. You could tell the trailer was there and you could feel the tuck kick up when it had to pull harder.

But I agree just buy what you like.

You have a 2400 pound heifer? :?: :?:
BTW, I'm sure your Paw-Paw's truck was a gas. They are don't have near the power. Poster is asking about diesels.

Not that anyone cares but I had said my 6.7 cummins was getting 8-10mpg loaded.It seems to be doing a little better I got 12.5 mpg on a recent trip hauling 7 head 12-1400 lbs.

I'm a Ford F-250 Diesel man. If your going to just pull a trailer, and not use it as a daily driver, go with Dodge. If you are going to be running around without a trailer, go with Ford. If your not going to be pulling a trailer, go with Chevy....wait...scrap that..don't ever go for a Chevy :lol2: .

I :heart: my Ford. It can pull a trailer and still run around town. Not a fan of Isuzu diesels. Just look around at how many Chevy diesel's there are. I currently live in a city of about 700,000, going to university. I travel the roads a lot and rarely see a Chevy or GMC diesel, maybe 1 in 30. Lots of Fords and Dodges, all years.

Latest posts