Ford 6000

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
I'm kinda asking this for a friend so my knowledge of this paticular tractor is limited.He has a 70's model Ford 6000 he wants to take to the scrapyard.Problem is he says it has some sort of safety mechanism and the back wheels will absolutely not turn if the motor isnt running.The motor is shot so he cant move it.He's tried to pull it on the trailer with his backhoe to no avail.He's to the point of paying a wreaker to haul it.But I thought there may be a way to disengage whatever prevents the wheels from spinning .I thought mabye somebody on here might know.

I have a ford 8000 (8speed) and it will move without engine running. Is he sure the parking break is not engaged and gears are in neutral?

Is it a Select-O-Speed?

All the Fords I've owned were straight drives and I've never heard of anything like you're talking about. But that and about 5 bucks might get you a cup of coffee.

We'll Ive known this guy about 15 years plus he's about 16 years my elder.He has taught me a bunch really.So I hope he has enough sense to take the parking brake off and make sure it's in neutral.I have never heard of this either but I've never owned a Ford.Oh well he dont have internet so I figured I'd ask on here before he paid for a wrecker.He claims it did this even before it slung a rod and was running.I dont know either but if this is the case it seems there would have to be a way to disengage it.I was sure looking forward to teaching old Scott something for once.Thanks.

I think my x000 series Ford tractor has a control to "lock" the differential. I'm pretty sure what that does is locks the left and right together kinda like a positract. But where I'm headed with this is for some reason I was thinking that when the differential is locked it is almost impossible to pull.

Seems like there is a lever on the left front of the transmission that shifts between 540 and 1000 PTO RPM, a lever on the right under the seat that controls the hydraulics and another lever on the diff. housing (I think on the left side) that locks the diff. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Check the brakes to see if they are free. Well, that's my two cents worth.

Pick the front end up with the back hoe and back the trailer underneath as far as possible. Then push/pick up the back and slide up on the trailer. Hopefully the trailer has a dovetail. I loaded an old combine and small dozer this way a couple weeks ago. Also used come-a-longs on the combine to pull from the front after I got the trailer under it.

EAT BEEF":2flkzm71 said:
I have no idea but if nobody can help you here you could probabley get an answer at http://www.ytmag.com

I see you haven't asked over at yesterdays tractors yet I bet if there is such a thing, I think they could help you.

Thanks for the replies.He called me Sat. and said they got it loaded.I was busy at the time with my own problems so I didnt ask too many questions.Thanks again.

Latest posts